Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Sleep Advice For 5 Month Old..BIG TIME!
MCC 11:31 AM 09-10-2013
It seems like every time I have a 4-6 month old here, they stop sleeping unless the parents are sleep training at home.

I have a 5 month old here (had him since 7 weeks). He was going down great while swaddled, just plopped him in the crib and he would go down. Now when I put him down he just screams and screams. I am doing my best to "train" him, but DCP are reporting NO NAPS on weekends. They say they just can't get him down.

I'm not really sure what to do with him at this point. He is currently swaddle, sleeping next to me on the couch. I tried for about 45 minutes before we got to this point.

I read all these posts about great sleeping babies, and I am desperate for advice. How do you all get them napping well once they're out of the newborn phase? And what can I suggest to DCP?

This is the "flat spot" baby If you all remember that from last month. He is starting to be kind of a handful
Cat Herder 11:37 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by MCC:
He is currently swaddle, sleeping next to me on the couch.
^^^^This is illegal, here. If he is awake after 20 minutes in the crib, he should be returned to the floor mat with toys until the age of 12 months. Crib/PNP for sleep, only. No restraint.

How much independent movement/ floor time is this little guy getting??
MCC 11:45 AM 09-10-2013
I can't speak about the floor time he gets at home, but here he is getting plenty of floor time. I don't have a swing or any other equipment for him in the playroom, so he's either being held or he is on the floor. We have an exersaucer in another room, but he is rarely in that.

He fell asleep in my arms while I was feeding him and I set him next to me while my husband moved his crib upstairs. He is in his crib now, I'm sure he will be screaming any minute.
Cat Herder 11:50 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by MCC:
I can't speak about the floor time he gets at home, but here he is getting plenty of floor time. I don't have a swing or any other equipment for him in the playroom, so he's either being held or he is on the floor. We have an exersaucer in another room, but he is rarely in that.

He fell asleep in my arms while I was feeding him and I set him next to me while my husband moved his crib upstairs. He is in his crib now, I'm sure he will be screaming any minute.
Hmm... maybe set the same time limit for being held that would apply to cribs or exersaucer? 20 minutes.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but allowing him to become accustomed to your holding him is pretty similar to being in the swing, KWIM? Allowing him to tire himself out with a lot of physical activity benefits you both.

At his age rapid growth has temporarily slowed... most likely his need for more sleep will kick in as the next growth spurt hits.
MCC 11:58 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Hmm... maybe set the same time limit for being held that would apply to cribs or exersaucer? 20 minutes.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but allowing him to become accustomed to your holding him is pretty similar to being in the swing, KWIM? Allowing him to tire himself out with a lot of physical activity benefits you both.

At his age rapid growth has temporarily slowed... most likely his need for more sleep will kick in as the next growth spurt hits.
Thanks for the response.

He really isn't held all that much. I obviously hold him while he is having a bottle, and usually during story time and when the older kids are dancing (so he doesn't get stepped on) It's definitely less than 20 minutes.
Reply Up