Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To Resolve The Issue Without Terminating Family
Logged out 12:49 PM 01-22-2014
I had a daycare boy start two years ago and he is nearly 5 and my second to oldest child/daughter is 7 and special needs. The daycare boy and daughter are constantly at odds. Daughter will get dropped off after school and within two minutes of the door closing the daycare boy will start crying saying daughter hit him when they are separated. I know it didn't happen and daycare boy does the same with other children, not as often. The most desperation between the two we can do is in the same room on opposite sides. to the special needs I can not send leave her unattended. They plain don't like each other. The boy has always had problems with the other children in care, the other children don't like him either. It is really sad. A large part of the day he just follows me around with a small toy just holding it not really playing. It is hard to get him to actually sit and play with others or by himself. Shadowing mostly. I do not want to terminate the family, I care for the child and the parents. We/I want to help also don't want to jeopardize our family and other children... Kwim?... Wwyd?
Play Care 12:55 PM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by Logged out:
I had a daycare boy start two years ago and he is nearly 5 and my second to oldest child/daughter is 7 and special needs. The daycare boy and daughter are constantly at odds. Daughter will get dropped off after school and within two minutes of the door closing the daycare boy will start crying saying daughter hit him when they are separated. I know it didn't happen and daycare boy does the same with other children, not as often. The most desperation between the two we can do is in the same room on opposite sides. to the special needs I can not send leave her unattended. They plain don't like each other. The boy has always had problems with the other children in care, the other children don't like him either. It is really sad. A large part of the day he just follows me around with a small toy just holding it not really playing. It is hard to get him to actually sit and play with others or by himself. Shadowing mostly. I do not want to terminate the family, I care for the child and the parents. We/I want to help also don't want to jeopardize our family and other children... Kwim?... Wwyd?
I believe you are opening yourself up to an enormous liability by keeping a child who falsely accuses others of hurting them. I would urge you to reconsider not terming the family.
If you truly want to keep this child, then you have two choices as I see it. You either need to have the additional staff to make sure that you can always supervise the children and keep them safe. Or you can send your DD to a different program in the afternoons so she isn't exposed to a child who accuses her of abuse.
Good Luck.
coolconfidentme 01:00 PM 01-22-2014
He is 5 & know what he is doing is wrong. Treat it like any other bad behavior..., use your discipline policy. Good luck!!

ps..., Inform the parent of the behavior too!
cheerfuldom 01:37 PM 01-22-2014
I would require him to sit in a chair unless you are closely supervising his activity or he is showing some self control. At 5 years old, there is no excuse for aggressive behavior, following you around and whining, or accusing others. I would let mom and dad know the issues, your discipline policy and make it clear that you are watching 100% of the time and you know for a fact that he is accusing others of things that are not happening. Document everything in case things go sour. If the parents cannot support your policy, term them all know. Last thing you need is for this child to accuse someone of doing something to him and the parents believe him.
Reply Up