Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2.5 Yr Old Separation Anxiety?
Baby Beluga 07:54 AM 03-03-2015
I need some help on this one please.

I have a DCB who is 2.5 - very sweet boy and very sweet family. DCB was absent for two weeks over Christmas and when he returned he seemed to be having some issues with separation anxiety. Every single morning at drop off now he cries. He will cry for a few minutes and stop on his own. Lately he has been randomly crying throughout the day. We will be immersed in an activity and he start crying and repeat "I want mommy." We have discussed that mom comes after nap.

At pick up, he fusses and tells mom that he does not want to leave.

I have never experienced a child this old do this. Do you think it is separation anxiety, not quite understanding his emotions or just doing it for attention?
Heidi 08:15 AM 03-03-2015
That's not separation anxiety, it's transition anxiety, maybe....

I have a 27 mo. who's been with me since 6 weeks, and she has been doing this, too. I think they are just trying to sort things out and maybe get some sort of control. Just keep reassuring and being firm when needed (not wanting to leave) and he'll grow out of it.

Mine puts on a show for mom some mornings, and we do the quick goodbye. She's usually fine before mom is even out of the driveway, but then resorts to "mommy....." periodically when she doesn't get what she wants.
deliberateliterate 08:45 AM 03-03-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
That's not separation anxiety, it's transition anxiety, maybe....

I have a 27 mo. who's been with me since 6 weeks, and she has been doing this, too. I think they are just trying to sort things out and maybe get some sort of control. Just keep reassuring and being firm when needed (not wanting to leave) and he'll grow out of it.

Mine puts on a show for mom some mornings, and we do the quick goodbye. She's usually fine before mom is even out of the driveway, but then resorts to "mommy....." periodically when she doesn't get what she wants.
I have a 28mo DCG that does the same thing when she doesn't get her way. I want my mommy. At least it's nice to know we're not alone!
Ariana 08:48 AM 03-03-2015
Seperation anxiety comes and goes throughout a young childs life so this is definitely SA in my professional opinion. Anything can bring it on; teething, sickness, stage of development they are at currently etc.

As long as the child is emotionally regulating himself (ie: stops crying easily) he is doing great! He is showing signs of wanting to be with you by not wanting to leave so that is great too! Just be there for him and make him feel safe to express his emotions. Being able to express the seperation anxiety ensures that is passes quickly. Maybe some extra TLC
Reply Up