Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Goverment is taking over Private Centers!
Unregistered 07:09 AM 09-13-2011
This just in, from our Smart Start Rep. New in effect Schools no longer can create or choose their own curriculum, it is now MANDATORY you use the "approved" curriculum that the state offers, oh and if you were already using the "approved curriculum" as a quality point, you lose it and now have to find another way to get that point! So, thank you North Carolina for sucking the life out of individual businesses and the only way a daycare can prove they are different from all the others. So if we have to use the same curriculum why do we need the stars? It seems that now the programs will all be the same am I right? Oh, and so I guess we will be passing any new expenses on to our "private paying" parents, yes that will stimulate the economy, great job!
blessedmess8 09:53 AM 09-13-2011
What ISN'T the government trying to take over these days?
Cat Herder 10:22 AM 09-13-2011
I am already there..... State employee without benefits.

Sorry that is happening.
snbauser 10:23 AM 09-13-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
This just in, from our Smart Start Rep. New in effect Schools no longer can create or choose their own curriculum, it is now MANDATORY you use the "approved" curriculum that the state offers, oh and if you were already using the "approved curriculum" as a quality point, you lose it and now have to find another way to get that point! So, thank you North Carolina for sucking the life out of individual businesses and the only way a daycare can prove they are different from all the others. So if we have to use the same curriculum why do we need the stars? It seems that now the programs will all be the same am I right? Oh, and so I guess we will be passing any new expenses on to our "private paying" parents, yes that will stimulate the economy, great job!
Get something in writing. Smart Start does not oversee licensing requirements. I am in NC too and have not seen or heard anything about this. The only thing I have heard is if you are an NCPK classroom then you have to use Creative Curriculum. Smart Start does oversee NCPK and would have the authority to say which curriculum because NCPK is a state run program and they need to make sure the standards are the same regardless of where a child attends NCPK.
beachgrl 10:59 AM 09-13-2011
I agree, smart start does not oversee such, they can recommend but not require with of course the exception being classes under smart start for pre k. It was my understanding that smart start would not be involved with the new ncpk classes because more at four which was through smart start is no longer who the pk classes fall under but the state instead.

As far as I have heard in our area, smartmstart has nothing to do with the ncpk classes anymore...

Originally Posted by snbauser:
Get something in writing. Smart Start does not oversee licensing requirements. I am in NC too and have not seen or heard anything about this. The only thing I have heard is if you are an NCPK classroom then you have to use Creative Curriculum. Smart Start does oversee NCPK and would have the authority to say which curriculum because NCPK is a state run program and they need to make sure the standards are the same regardless of where a child attends NCPK.

snbauser 11:44 AM 09-13-2011
Originally Posted by beachgrl:
I agree, smart start does not oversee such, they can recommend but not require with of course the exception being classes under smart start for pre k. It was my understanding that smart start would not be involved with the new ncpk classes because more at four which was through smart start is no longer who the pk classes fall under but the state instead.

As far as I have heard in our area, smartmstart has nothing to do with the ncpk classes anymore...
At least here in our county, the more at four was under the school system and smart start. Now it is under DCDEE and Smart Start is the administrator of the program. I have been working with Smart Start, DCDEE and Thomson's over the last 2 months as we have been going through the process to become an NCPK site.
Unregistered 11:47 AM 09-15-2011
Below is the Law that is in effect,
My issue is not so much with providers using developmentally approprate materials and curricula, it is when it is being MANDATED by the goverment onto PRIVATE facilities. Parents should have a choice, an option on what they have their children study. Parents pay a great deal of money for QUALITY care, believe me if they felt their school was failing they would pull them out!

As far as the "at risk" community goes, I am all in favor for educating these children, however again here we are picking up the pieces that the County had dropped, they are out of money and can no longer provide care for these kids so now private operators are being made to do it, not a problem except, where are these funds coming from? $500 a month for one child in the county I live in equals a 1/2 day program. Then the teachers are expected to have a bacheleours degree and be paid county wages and offered county insurance. Hmm, is it we are still a Privatly owned facility if we adopt all of these things? That is my point!

SECTION 10.7.(d) The additional curricula approved and taught in prekindergarten classrooms shall also be taught in four- and five-star rated facilities in the SL2011-non-prekindergarten four-year-old classrooms. The Child Care Commission shall increase standards in the four- and five-star-rated facilities for the purpose of placing an emphasis on early reading. The Commission shall require the four- and five-star-rated facilities to teach from the Commission's approved curricula.
Sugar Magnolia 11:18 AM 09-13-2011
I am a center director. We participate in a Look For the Stars program too. We can still choose our curriculum, so I do feel sorry for you on your choice being removed. Personally, I love our FL program. I now appreciate the ECERS book, it has made a huge difference in my environment. The goal, as I understand it, is to improve your quality, not to make your life miserable. I'm sorry you are feeling victimized by your state. Don't you have the option of opting out? I wouldn't, but could if I choose to, OR stopped taking state funded clients.
Tags:curriculum - reach for the stars, curriculum on a budget, curriculums, funshine express
Reply Up