Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thoughts on a Balance Bike Daycare?
Max 12:19 PM 10-13-2016
So my family and I are a moto family and absolutely love introducing kids to Strider bikes! I want this to be a focus point for my daycare and am hoping to find a name that helps identify this. Two questions for the group:

1. Any ideas on names or adjectives that I could include? I think using words like Riding/Riders, Dirtshark, or Striding/Striders (granted that's legal or I get permission from that company) is a good idea. Something like 'Rockin Riders' or 'Stride on Over' or 'Dirtshark Daycare' maybe.... I'm so bad at this!

2. We plan to have a small dirt track for kids to ride on. Nothing crazy or any steep hills, just some turns and a few small bumps to roll over. I plan to provide gloves, bikes, and helmets. Also on requiring parents to sign a waiver and bring close toed shoes. I'll admit I'm biased and think Striders/balance bikes are awesome and I would be pumped to have my kid playing with these at daycare! But I'm wondering if anyone has any things I should keep in mind (possible questions parents may have, concerns, ways to improve, etc.). Thoughts?

Thanks!
Controlled Chaos 12:24 PM 10-13-2016
I don't know what a "moto" family is.

Do you sell the bikes?

I imagine you can't use any company/brand names as you will get sued.

Check what the outdoor licensing requirements for your state are.
Max 12:41 PM 10-13-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I don't know what a "moto" family is.

Do you sell the bikes?

I imagine you can't use any company/brand names as you will get sued.

Check what the outdoor licensing requirements for your state are.
Moto is short for motorcycle No, we don't sell them. Strider is the name of a balance bike company, hence why I mentioned making sure it was legal or permission acquired beforehand. Striding/Stride is a verb though, so I think it might be fine to use.

I've read the outdoor licensing requirements and found nothing specific to this area, but I would make sure everything was ok with the licensor and regulations. It's pretty common for daycares around here (and probably in general?) to have children play on two wheels so I don't foresee any weird regulations with it.
midaycare 12:36 PM 10-13-2016
There is just no way, as a parent, I would allow my child in that environment. Too many possibilities for injury.

As a provider, I don't believe licensing will allow that (if you are looking to be licensed). At any rate, there's no way insurance will cover that.

Sorry, I'm not trying to burst your bubble.
Max 12:43 PM 10-13-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
There is just no way, as a parent, I would allow my child in that environment. Too many possibilities for injury.

As a provider, I don't believe licensing will allow that (if you are looking to be licensed). At any rate, there's no way insurance will cover that.

Sorry, I'm not trying to burst your bubble.
No apologies necessary, I like honest feedback

Just curious, do you allow children to use any bikes or two wheels in your daycare? Or as a parent, are you ok with a daycare that allows kids to ride bikes? If so, how do you view my idea as being more dangerous? It's essentially the same but with a bike path.

I don't mean to be rude at all, I'm just trying to see if there is any misunderstanding.
midaycare 01:41 PM 10-13-2016
Originally Posted by Max:
No apologies necessary, I like honest feedback

Just curious, do you allow children to use any bikes or two wheels in your daycare? Or as a parent, are you ok with a daycare that allows kids to ride bikes? If so, how do you view my idea as being more dangerous? It's essentially the same but with a bike path.

I don't mean to be rude at all, I'm just trying to see if there is any misunderstanding.
I don't offer a lot of bikes. I have two of the small 3 wheeler bikes that sit really low. My dcks are out of my care by 4.5 years old at the latest.

I just wouldn't want ds on a track with other kids, where so much could go wrong. I would allow it if I were there supervising, though. I'm just...protective. With me, ds does all types of things. Bikes, skiing, snowmobiling, etc. With another adult...no.

In my daycare experience, kids can be very misbehaved. I have strict rules to keep everyone in place and safe. This just wouldn't work for me as a provider. I can't have an infant in one arm, and be chasing little Johnny down because he sideswiped little Ben with a bike on purpose.

Again, I'm overprotective.
jenboo 01:52 PM 10-13-2016
I don't offer a lot of bikes. I have two of the small 3 wheeler bikes that sit really low. My dcks are out of my care by 4.5 years old at the latest.

I just wouldn't want ds on a track with other kids, where so much could go wrong. I would allow it if I were there supervising, though. I'm just...protective. With me, ds does all types of things. Bikes, skiing, snowmobiling, etc. With another adult...no.

In my daycare experience, kids can be very misbehaved. I have strict rules to keep everyone in place and safe. This just wouldn't work for me as a provider. I can't have an infant in one arm, and be chasing little Johnny down because he sideswiped little Ben with a bike on purpose.

I'm curious, where do your dck ride the bikes? All the daycares i have worked at have all had circular bike paths so that the kids all went in the same direction and didn't run into other kids who were playing with other toys.
midaycare 02:24 PM 10-13-2016
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I'm curious, where do your dck ride the bikes? All the daycares i have worked at have all had circular bike paths so that the kids all went in the same direction and didn't run into other kids who were playing with other toys.
Maybe I'm reading the OP'S post wrong, but she is talking about needing helmets and riding gear for what she has planned. To me, bikes that require helmets at daycare? Riding gloves? This doesn't sound like simple small bikes to me.

My area is very woodsy, but I have a half acre fenced for the kiddos with no trees. A very small portion of that is paved. The draws to my outdoor area is the enormous sandbox, castles and sliding toys.

When daycare kids ride bikes and cars at my home, they all want to play bumper cars. Someone always get hurt if I'm not standing near them.
Max 02:31 PM 10-13-2016

Maybe track was a bit of an overstatement? It would be more like a glorified dirt path. Lol. I think a path with one direction of travel would be safer than kids riding (on bikes or trikes or otherwise) on a driveway or other surface in all directions. I guess I just disagree with the idea that so much more could go wrong. Not that I think playing on a driveway is necessarily unsafe or anything. Just my 2 cents
nanglgrl 02:50 PM 10-13-2016
The problems I could see are:
1. Waivers won't protect you if a child gets hurt.
2. Some states require that children have their own helmet of that each helmet goes through a sanitation process before/after use if it's shared. Daycare centers in my area have gotten rid of all trikes, bikes etc. for this reason and because of a fall surfacing rule.
3. On the top of most parents list for daycare is safety (followed closely by price and for some it's price then safety). Then comes environment, basically what kind of learning environment most matches their parenting..outdoors..Montessori..preschool like..home like. Other things come after that but again they are related to safety..organic food...cloth diapering..breast feeding friendly.
Even the parents I know who ride bikes quite a bit (I'm in Cedar Falls, Iowa..tons of great bike trails and RAGBRAI) aren't pushing for their child to ride a bike at daycare.
4. Insurance coverage
5. Safety. It's hard to keep an eye on the bike riders and the ones that aren't riding bikes at the same time.
6. If you're interested in QRS this could be seen as a falling hazard and need appropriate surfacing.

On another note, I love balance bikes! My children learned so quickly after using a balance bike. I intended to keep it for my daycare but quickly learned that it just didn't work. I had more safety concerns for my daycare children and they weren't as willing to take part in the risky behavior of taking their feet off the ground. I ended up giving it to a neighbor.
organicdclady 02:35 PM 10-13-2016
We are also a moto family. My son has been riding since he was 3 and started racing at 4.
All the little ones at the track have the no peddle bikes, they're fun to watch.
I think it's a great idea, and could see families being exited about it. I do feel as though you would have to offer more than just bikes and a track though. I mean, you're not going to have the kids on the track for 6 hours a day. What else are you offering?
This will have an impact on your home owners insurance, there is no way around it.
If you're renting, the home owners are probably going to have a problem with it.
I would think to start off, this should be a "bonus" to your program and not be the star.
I do hope you share what comes of your start up!
jenboo 12:43 PM 10-13-2016
Most balance bikes are for ages 18 months-3yrs. I don't see there being any more issues than providing trikes. As long as the bike riding area doesn't have any big bumps i don't see an issue.
I wouldn't have a problem with my son riding a balance bike in the dirt at daycare.

Im not a huge fan of incorporating it into the name though.
mommyneedsadayoff 12:48 PM 10-13-2016
I think it sounds fun! My kids get to ride trikes and ride on toys and they would have a blast if we had enough room for a track. I would say that as long as you have helmets and it doesn't conflict with any licensing regs, then it could be something you include as a "perk" of your daycare. I wouldn't focus your whole daycare on that one aspect, though, as it could limit your business appeal. But, if it is a fun part of your daycare and you are passionate about it, I a sure the parents you interview will see that excitement and find it appealing. Good luck to you!
Max 12:54 PM 10-13-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I think it sounds fun! My kids get to ride trikes and ride on toys and they would have a blast if we had enough room for a track. I would say that as long as you have helmets and it doesn't conflict with any licensing regs, then it could be something you include as a "perk" of your daycare. I wouldn't focus your whole daycare on that one aspect, though, as it could limit your business appeal. But, if it is a fun part of your daycare and you are passionate about it, I a sure the parents you interview will see that excitement and find it appealing. Good luck to you!
Thank you! This is why I love this forum, everyone is super helpful on giving advice for the business side of home child care It's good to keep in mind that a fun/weird name might be unappealing.
Max 12:51 PM 10-13-2016
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Most balance bikes are for ages 18 months-3yrs. I don't see there being any more issues than providing trikes. As long as the bike riding area doesn't have any big bumps i don't see an issue.
I wouldn't have a problem with my son riding a balance bike in the dirt at daycare.

Im not a huge fan of incorporating it into the name though.
Thanks Jenboo. I know some balance bikes go up to 5 years, but I imagine it's more less how tall the child is, since the seat and handle bars can only go so high. We wouldn't have any big bumps and if required, I would do away with them and only have a path. Also I would have a 'bypass lane' = fancy word for a way to go around any bumps
Blackcat31 12:51 PM 10-13-2016
Originally Posted by Max:
Also on requiring parents to sign a waiver and bring close toed shoes.
Parents can't sign away their child's rights.
Liability waivers will not protect you.

http://tomcopelandblog.com/?s=liability+waivers&x=0&y=0
Blackcat31 12:56 PM 10-13-2016
I have a Radio Flyer Strider bicycle and it is by far THE most played with ride-on I have. It is most used by 3-5 yr old group with the older preschoolers being most interested.

I love them! I wish I had another one!

Groupon has a sale on them right now:

Was $79.99 Now $39.99

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-no-...a62_0_20161013
Max 12:57 PM 10-13-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Parents can't sign away their child's rights.
Liability waivers will not protect you.

http://tomcopelandblog.com/?s=liability+waivers&x=0&y=0
You are just awesome (not sarcastic at all by the way!)

Thanks for sharing, this is really helpful to know!!
Tags:bikes
Reply Up