Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCK Who Hardly Eats Or Talks And When He Does Eat...
E Daycare 01:16 PM 06-03-2011
...He's the slowest eater ever! He turns two next week and this is one of those "only eats yogurt/cookies/crackers" kid. Breakfast: potatoes with veg and blackberries. He drank his bottle with pedisure before coming here so no Breakfast. Snack: ate Graham crackers. Lunch: fresh pizza, cucumbers, fruit and milk. Ate NONE. Pm snack: cheerios. One by one. For 45 minutes. And I only gave a handful. He's like this always tho. Eats maybe one thing from me, it's usually a snack, and is the slowest eater. I can feed the other 3 kids AND do a load of dishes and he'll still be there all la di da on a piece of toast.

Now I'm happy he choses to sometimes eat 3 pieces of something but what is the 3hrs it takes for him to chew? You guys have turtle eaters too? I hate taking food from him but our lunch and snack times can't be a hour each. My other kids want to get a move on and so do I.

I'll serve candy. Bet that FLIES off the plate.
cheerfuldom 01:29 PM 06-03-2011
I'd set a time limit and then the meal is over. Its just ridiculous for everyone in the house to be waiting on him. He will eat if he is hungry or just fill up at home.
E Daycare 01:30 PM 06-03-2011
I wanted to add that this kid doesn't talk either so I never know what he does or doesn't like. It's always pointing to the top and "ehhh ehhhhhhhh". His mom told me today "yesterday he said apple!". Congrats, he's now up there with 12mo old language development.

I see no other developmental issues as he will interact with the kids fine and point for you to sit Down but he has the attention span of 0 and still chews on every toy. He follows directions he wants to hear like "go get your shoes" but doesn't hear "put this ball back in the tent".

He did finally finish his cheerios. About half hour later than the other kids. Lol
E Daycare 01:34 PM 06-03-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I'd set a time limit and then the meal is over. Its just ridiculous for everyone in the house to be waiting on him. He will eat if he is hungry or just fill up at home.
Yup I'm gonna do that too. I used the "we are going outside" trick and he was like "hey look lady I can chew!" and finished up. He can do it hes just waiting to see how long I'm gonna wait on him.
Unregistered 04:36 AM 06-06-2011
My daughter has something called Childhood Apraxia of Speech which means that her brain doesn't send the right signals to her mouth so she has a very hard time talking. She didn't start saying words till she was almost 3 and now at 4.5 and after a year of intense speech therapy she has almost caught up to her peers. If he's not talking at all yet then he should be seen by a speech pathologist just to make sure everything's a-okay.
Tags:slow eater, won't eat
Reply Up