Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interested Client wants me to get kids on and off city bus....
jojosmommy 10:46 AM 06-24-2011
After 5 emails about kids, schedule, curriculum etc Mom emails me a lengthy email about how I live close to #5 bus and she can bring the kids via the bus and back every day. Sounds like a great way to save gas and time I am thinking... I re-read her email over and over b/c something doesn't seem right. Then it hits me. If she gets OFF the bus and walks the kids to my door (bus stops across the street) then she would have to wait for another #5 bus to pick her up. I have never been on the city bus so I have no idea the timeline for the next bus but I can already tell something is up.

I email her back today and ask if she is expecting me to take all my kids outisde 2 times a day, once to get her girls off the bus and once to put them back on at the end of the day. I immediately explain that this would never work for me and would limit our daily communication to um... NONE!

She replys, "If you are ON the route, I would be on the bus with the kids, and then they would get off and walk to your house (as in less than a block). If that isn't possible than I don't think it will work, as I won't be able to guarentee that I can drop them off at 7:30 and get to work by 8, and then leave work at 5 and get to your place by 5:30. So, no, I wouldn't be getting off with them, as the next bus doesn't pass for another half an hour, at which point I'm half an hour late for work."

I will never understand some people. Good thing this got worked out via email BEFORE I wasted my time with an interview and/or she just tossed them off the bus the first day.
Cat Herder 10:51 AM 06-24-2011
Um, why can't she take the bus that runs 30 minutes earlier?

I know here they run every 30 minutes or so during rush commute times.
jojosmommy 10:59 AM 06-24-2011
Well she could in the morning but I am only allowing her kids to be AT daycare for 10 hours. She claims that isnt enough with having to ride the bus and work 9 hours (8-5). If she comes earlier for drop off she has to pick up earlier which unless she leaves work early doesn't look like an option.

She works for a large place here that doesn't allow on site parking for almost every one of their thousands of empoyees so many people say they have to juggle schedules in order to get back to their car and then to daycare. Most have mom drop off/dad pick up or vice versa but this single mom can't do that. I feel bad for all those who do it alone but 10 hours a day is plenty. Plus I am thinking if the bus is late due to weather I will be stuck with her kids longer and/or stuck at the bus stop outside. No thanks!
cheerfuldom 11:19 AM 06-24-2011
how old are these kids? I would be worried about what might happen between the bus and your house. Even a block is enough to get into trouble. What if they were rascals and just took off in the other direction?
DBug 02:15 PM 06-24-2011
I have to meet a school bus for my own kids anyway, so as long as it didn't conflict with that, I'd be okay with it.

It IS a pretty odd request though ...
Tags:public transportation issues
Reply Up