Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Baby Sign But No Words...
Jack Sprat 12:19 PM 10-03-2013
The post on the 21 month old got me thinking even more about this...

DCB who is 19 months doesn't talk. He grunts, babbles a bit, and signs everything. I will say the word when he is signing and ask him to say the word but, its a no go. Could his use of signing be preventing him from talking?

I have no formed opinion on this. We used baby sign for our youngest and it was wonderful. She started speaking at the "normal" time.

His mom says he has a few words. But, I have yet to hear them. I told mom that he is right on target for his age if he has 5-6 words. But, like I said I never hear them. Just grunting etc. He does take a binki. I am trying to limit the use of it. But, I am a sucker to the crying. He will cry/scream until he is given it. I feel that this does impede his talking. I could be wrong. He understands things very well and can follow simple directions. He just doesn't talk.
preschoolteacher 12:41 PM 10-03-2013
Almost everything I have heard and read about baby sign is that it HELPS language development instead of hurting it. I have read a lot about it, too! So I'm pretty sure the baby sign is not a problem for this child. Thankfully he has some way to communicate! I agree that the pacifier could be the real issue here... also, I'd try to get him to attempt to say what he wants if he's pointing or grunting instead of just handing it to him. If he has to work for it, he may start speaking more.
nothingwithoutjoy 02:04 PM 10-03-2013
I'd blame the binky, not the sign language. Although, really, I wouldn't worry too much about a child not talking yet at 19 months. I used sign with all the babies, and I'd both sign and say the word. When they sign, I consider that perfectly communicated, and don't expect that they'll say it, too. I do say the word myself, though in context ("oh, you want more carrots? Here's some more.") Signing is a good communication tool, but doesn't work with those who don't know it. He'll figure that out at some point, and will talk. In the meantime, he's still communicating, which is really the goal.
Tags:milestones, won't talk
Reply Up