Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Battle of the bosses
Onawhim 04:35 AM 06-29-2015
Has anyone had this happen when your school age started for the summer. I have one dcg 4 who is always "the boss" she leads in play and the younger kids follow. I have two dcg 6 who also like to lead in play. We are having a battle of the bosses today. I keep reminding them to play nice, share, take turns and not to boss each other. But for the most part I'm letting them work it out.
childcaremom 06:16 AM 06-29-2015
I think my group goes through this to some extent whenever there is a change, no matter what age. My girls are now home for the summer and the alpha of the group has deferred to my oldest (who in no way shape or form is an alpha, more of an age thing, I think).

It was quite noticeable when I had my last group. All 2s and added another. The original group had been together for 18 months and the alpha toddler was very established It was an interesting transition period as the new dcb was also an alpha toddler.

I have no tips, just sharing.
Blackcat31 06:54 AM 06-29-2015
Originally Posted by Onawhim:
Has anyone had this happen when your school age started for the summer. I have one dcg 4 who is always "the boss" she leads in play and the younger kids follow. I have two dcg 6 who also like to lead in play. We are having a battle of the bosses today. I keep reminding them to play nice, share, take turns and not to boss each other. But for the most part I'm letting them work it out.
That's exactly what I do.

I give reminds if I feel there is meanness creeping in but for the most part I lit them figure it out themselves.

There are a few behaviors though that if they happen I will divide and conquer the "fighting" and step in......

If anyone calls names, gangs up in a bullying way gets physical at all they are immediately removed or separated from the group and not allowed to play as a group until tomorrow. (I'd make the separating shorter for younger kids but SA can manage a day away from their playmates).
AmyKidsCo 01:24 PM 06-29-2015
Yup, I let them work things out themselves, but monitor so I can step in if needed.
Reply Up