Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Get Children To Nap Problem!
vivivi113 06:47 AM 01-04-2017
I have been working in a daycare for a several months. I usually work with different groups of children, depends on the ratio.
I have a big problem here. Children refuse to go to SLEEP!!! Not all of them refuse to sleep, but at least some of them. I usually tell them to lay down on their cots, listen to the music we play and close eyes. I explain to them that napping can relax their bodies so they can play in the afternoon, otherwise, they will be tired.
They just ignore me!
However, when other teachers come in and tell them to lay down, children will do it right away! What is the problem?
What should I do?
Ariana 06:53 AM 01-04-2017
Is there a consequence you can have for the behavior? We would sometimes put a cot outside the door and make a child sleep out there on their cot (or lay down) if they were disruptive to the group. There has to be some kind of consequence so they know you mean business. Ask the other teachers what they do as well.
Play Care 08:07 AM 01-04-2017
Originally Posted by vivivi113:
I have been working in a daycare for a several months. I usually work with different groups of children, depends on the ratio.
I have a big problem here. Children refuse to go to SLEEP!!! Not all of them refuse to sleep, but at least some of them. I usually tell them to lay down on their cots, listen to the music we play and close eyes. I explain to them that napping can relax their bodies so they can play in the afternoon, otherwise, they will be tired.
They just ignore me!
However, when other teachers come in and tell them to lay down, children will do it right away! What is the problem?
What should I do?
It sounds as if you are using a lot of words, when they just need to be told "BED, NOW!" firmly.
Josiegirl 09:52 AM 01-04-2017
A consequence would be a good idea. I know a lot of providers don't agree with the 1-2-3 method but my dcks usually react a lot better before I get to 3(or they lose whatever privilege I decided). They shouldn't need for the count to happen; they should just lay down and rest but since they don't.....might be worth a shot. I don't use the counting method very often, just enough for it to still be effective.
daycarediva 11:02 AM 01-04-2017
Teacher voice. It's rest time, lay down.

You could use OTHER times to explain the importance of rest. My own crew have (and always have) responded well to me explaining that the only time you grow is when you're sleeping. I'm pretty short, (about 5' even) so I tell them I didn't sleep/nap enough when I was little. They all WANT to be big, so this works great. Only, that's a discussion for lunch time, and then "Hurry up and sleep, so you can grow" and I always make a point to make comments when they wake up.
"Did you grow? Oh my goodness you're TALLER!" now and then, too.
Josiegirl 03:07 PM 01-04-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

You could use OTHER times to explain the importance of rest. My own crew have (and always have) responded well to me explaining that the only time you grow is when you're sleeping. I'm pretty short, (about 5' even) so I tell them I didn't sleep/nap enough when I was little. They all WANT to be big, so this works great. Only, that's a discussion for lunch time, and then "Hurry up and sleep, so you can grow" and I always make a point to make comments when they wake up.
I'm stealing this idea.
vivivi113 09:04 PM 01-04-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Is there a consequence you can have for the behavior? We would sometimes put a cot outside the door and make a child sleep out there on their cot (or lay down) if they were disruptive to the group. There has to be some kind of consequence so they know you mean business. Ask the other teachers what they do as well.
What other teachers usually do is to "warn" them- tell them if they don't go to sleep, they are going to the office. When they hear "office", they will lay down right away.
However, if I say this, there are two problems come up.
First, I can not bring more than one child to the office. I don't want to show them I can't control the classroom.
Second, bring one child to the office can not warn the rest of the class that the behavior is not acceptable. When I ask them if they want to go to the office, they will say "yes."

I feel like they are afraid of a few teachers (maybe all of them), except me.

I tried to different strategies that I have learned from other teachers. However, those strategies work when they use but don't work when I use them.

What is going on????!??!
vivivi113 09:05 PM 01-04-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

This idea is excellent! I will use it tomorrow LOL~
vivivi113 09:08 PM 01-04-2017
They just ignore me!
What should I do?
Just want to let you all know the age of those children- around 2 1/2 to 4 years old.
Ariana 06:37 AM 01-05-2017
It is basically a game to them and they do not trust your authority. My recommendation would be to start being more firm outside of sleep time as well.

I worked with a woman who was the same way. Kids tried to manipulate her all the time during sleep time. She just wasn't firm enough and wanted to be friends with the kids and thought being firm was being "mean".
daycarediva 07:46 AM 01-05-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I'm stealing this idea.
I started it with my own kids and just naturally used it with dck's, too. I also use the veggies/fruits/healthy food benefits as 'bribes' as well. I'm not lying, carrots ARE good for your eyes. Protein IS good for your muscles.
Heart12 10:08 AM 01-05-2017
They just ignore me!
What should I do?
Are you a floater? I worked in a child care center for 5yrs & every time a floater or a new face came in my room to relieve me for lunch break, the kids would act up. Practice your teacher voice & stern look & be consistent!
vivivi113 08:16 PM 01-08-2017
Yes, I am a floater.
I used to work with 30 months to 3 and half years old. I was fine with them at the beginning. However, after a few months, they started saying "no" to me or yelling at me. They did the same to other teachers, but not that often.

I think they are just trying to test my limits.

By the way, do you guys have any strategies to help them go to sleep?
ColorfulSunburst 05:37 AM 01-09-2017
I feel like they are afraid of a few teachers (maybe all of them), except me.
they are not. I am sure for 95%.
Just during nap time it is more visible if kids don't follow directions of some teachers. You have to look more careful how they follow your direction during a day. By your words, it looks like they think that you are one of them.
For an example: Will a child interrupts his activities for cleaning up after his previous game by your request? If he doesn't what will you do? I even want to ask other question: will you interrupt child's current activities for cleaning up after his previously activity or you just clean up all by your self?
racemom 05:33 PM 01-09-2017
One thing I do when I have someone who won't go to sleep is have them lay on their stomach, hands by their side and eyes closed. If they open their eyes sternly tell them to close them. If you have someone who refuses to lay still, sit by them and place your hand on their back, just light pressure usually helps. Also, do not engage them in conversation. Short simple commands of lay down, close your eyes, lay still. They currently are enjoying all the interaction you are giving them, so they don't fall asleep.

As far as taking someone to the office, if you are going to threaten it, do it. If you take one to the office, that will show the rest you mean business and they will straighten up. As long as they know you will not do it, it is ineffective.
Febby 07:17 PM 01-09-2017
Originally Posted by racemom:
One thing I do when I have someone who won't go to sleep is have them lay on their stomach, hands by their side and eyes closed. If they open their eyes sternly tell them to close them. If you have someone who refuses to lay still, sit by them and place your hand on their back, just light pressure usually helps. Also, do not engage them in conversation. Short simple commands of lay down, close your eyes, lay still. They currently are enjoying all the interaction you are giving them, so they don't fall asleep.

As far as taking someone to the office, if you are going to threaten it, do it. If you take one to the office, that will show the rest you mean business and they will straighten up. As long as they know you will not do it, it is ineffective.
Yes, if you say it, mean it. Otherwise, don't say it. If you're threatening to take them to the office, but then you don't, they will learn that you don't follow through with consequences. I would rather threaten with a more minor consequence, such as losing a pillow or stuffed animal, and be able to follow through than threaten with a harsher consequence, like going to the office, and not be able to follow through.

I also don't engage in conversation at nap time. My response are pretty much limited to "go to sleep" or "it is rest time" and, the first time they ask to go to the bathroom, "no, you may go when you wake up." I send all mine to the bathroom before nap to avoid disruptions when everyone suddenly decides to ask to potty. Once you're on your mat, you're there until you wake up.

Once you get these groups to respect you better overall, they will listen better at nap.
Tags:nap issues, won't sleep
Reply Up