Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No, You're Wrong!
Hunni Bee 06:09 AM 02-20-2017
Hi guys. Haven't posted in a while...

I have a mild situation, but I don't how to curb it.

I have a little friend, I've posted about him before, with lots of small behavior issues. Lately, if any of the girls in my class raise an opinion or try to tell a story, he jumps in and tells her she's wrong, and then corrects her, or comamdeers the conversation. Usually HE'S the one who's wrong .

This kinda ruffles my feminist feathers a bit, because he only does it to the girls and he sometimes frustrates them to tears. We've been doing a LOT of work as a whole class about being respectful, not interrupting, etc so this is not a new concept to him.

He comes from a African family so this may be something he sees happening at home, but it's not okay here...

Any ideas?
daycare 06:37 AM 02-20-2017
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
Hi guys. Haven't posted in a while...

I have a mild situation, but I don't how to curb it.

I have a little friend, I've posted about him before, with lots of small behavior issues. Lately, if any of the girls in my class raise an opinion or try to tell a story, he jumps in and tells her she's wrong, and then corrects her, or comamdeers the conversation. Usually HE'S the one who's wrong .

This kinda ruffles my feminist feathers a bit, because he only does it to the girls and he sometimes frustrates them to tears. We've been doing a LOT of work as a whole class about being respectful, not interrupting, etc so this is not a new concept to him.

He comes from a African family so this may be something he sees happening at home, but it's not okay here...

Any ideas?
I had one like that this is how I handled.
Of course I would be proactive when possible. I would hear one of the girls say something and I would immediately jump in and say oh, why do you think that? Or how do you know that? Most of the time I would say oh yes I agree.

Now if I missed the ability to be proactive, then I would ask the boy, well why do you think they are wrong? Let him explain. Then I would say well I disagree and here is why, or let's go see if we can find out. I did it very respectfully just as you would any other person. After a few times of being put in the situation, he finally stopped.

I actually enjoyed that kid, he just really wanted some attention and wanted to feel smart.
Sumshine 08:02 AM 02-20-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
I had one like that this is how I handled.
Of course I would be proactive when possible. I would hear one of the girls say something and I would immediately jump in and say oh, why do you think that? Or how do you know that? Most of the time I would say oh yes I agree.

Now if I missed the ability to be proactive, then I would ask the boy, well why do you think they are wrong? Let him explain. Then I would say well I disagree and here is why, or let's go see if we can find out. I did it very respectfully just as you would any other person. After a few times of being put in the situation, he finally stopped.

I actually enjoyed that kid, he just really wanted some attention and wanted to feel smart.
This is a really good idea! I wouldn't have thought of this solution if I was ever put in this position! I think being proactive and then taking the time to show and explain to them the "facts" and having an adult-like conversation with them will probably give them great life skills for the future when it comes to any sort of debate or even criticism!
daycare 08:10 AM 02-20-2017
Originally Posted by Sumshine:
This is a really good idea! I wouldn't have thought of this solution if I was ever put in this position! I think being proactive and then taking the time to show and explain to them the "facts" and having an adult-like conversation with them will probably give them great life skills for the future when it comes to any sort of debate or even criticism!
another thing that I wanted to mention, I actually don't use the word wrong. I just ask why do you think that? Or how do you know that?

I did ask the child, how would it feel if someone always told you that you were wrong? I am sure that would not make you feel good, and it's not very friendly either. Lets think of a way that we can reword things so that they are friendly.

Like when the girls say something and you don't agree, you can simply say, I don't agree because.......

Kids just want to be heard.

Friday morning I had two kids ages 3 and 4 in a great debate over if batman or superman flies or jump. I gave them the floor to give their reasons why they thought so. In the end we all agreed on one thing. That both super heros wear underwear over their clothing....lol

it was a very cute conversation.
debbiedoeszip 01:16 PM 02-20-2017
I would just keep telling him that he's being rude/disrespectful. If it's happening during play and it continues then I'd also have him go play at another station or area. If he's doing it during, say, circle time, then I'd have him leave the circle. No matter which gender he's doing this to, it's not socially acceptable to interrupt or dismiss others.
Ariana 09:55 AM 02-21-2017
To add to this I would also get the girls to stand up for themselves. That is super important. They will be interrupted a lot in their lifetime as you know
daycarediva 10:04 AM 02-21-2017
Is this mansplaining?

Seriously though, I would listen to him, ask the other child what they think and why. Then either agree with one, or say "that makes me think, anyone else have a thought about that?"

I WOULD stop him when he interrupts though, have the girls stand up to him as well. Interrupting is rude.
Hunni Bee 05:55 AM 02-22-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Is this mansplaining?

Seriously though, I would listen to him, ask the other child what they think and why. Then either agree with one, or say "that makes me think, anyone else have a thought about that?"

I WOULD stop him when he interrupts though, have the girls stand up to him as well. Interrupting is rude.
That is exactly what it is!
Hunni Bee 05:56 AM 02-22-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
To add to this I would also get the girls to stand up for themselves. That is super important. They will be interrupted a lot in their lifetime as you know
Yes ma'am
Tags:attention seeking behavior, correcting friends, interrupting, know it all, rude child
Reply Up