Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Ways Are Your DCPs Involved In DC?
Josiegirl 01:07 PM 04-01-2017
Everybody says it's so important and I'm always hearing of wonderful ways providers get them involved or connected. I've done a few things but it really is a place where I struggle and if I didn't have to do them for Stars, I would elect not to. So what makes it so important; isn't it just another thing already busy parents feel obligated to do.

And what are some different ways to get them involved?? I've done potluck dinners and a couple parties with parents, helped raise donations for our local toy/food drive for Christmas and delivered it together. I could use some more ideas.
I know this has been discussed here before, especially around the holidays when community events and charity are so strongly encouraged.
What about boxes for service people? Or....?
I'm trying to plan some kind of summer barbecue/water play day with the dcfs. And maybe host a yard sale where they can donate unused items and volunteer to come help, with all proceeds going to..............??
So, any ideas? Thanks!
Unregistered 01:54 PM 04-01-2017
I do an annual winter holiday potluck party and 1-2 excursions. I don't transport so one parent or another authorized adult need to transport and stay with their child the entire time. It's a good time to talk with families in a relaxed setting while we are having lunch. My families love it and they get to socialize with each other. I found doing this keeps me connected to my families and keep a good relationship with them.
Pepperth 02:01 PM 04-01-2017
I've done a clothing drive that went to children in foster care. The kids enjoyed decorating the donation box and when the organization came to pick up the clothing, we got a cool photo of the kids making their donation. Plus the parents seeme to get into it. At least they liked the opportunity to clean out their kid's closets.
kendallina 06:41 PM 04-01-2017
I'm not sure about the specific stars requirement, but when I worked as a supervisor we had requirements around parent involvement and something as simple as having a parent come in and read to the children (thinkarent stays 15 minutes after drop off to participate in this). Or parent comes in to answer questions about their newborn baby. Or a parent donates items or shares a special talent with the children. It didn't have to be something super elaborate. Would any of the things satisfy the requirement?
Meeko 11:32 PM 04-01-2017
I find the whole thing both amusing and annoying at the same time.

Providers clammering to involve uninterested parents, because the PC crowd says they need to, when they really don't want to.

BBQ's they don't want to do, for parents who don't want to be there.

Parents who pretend to be involved with their kids, when in fact they drop them off at daycare at the earliest moment possible and pick them up at the last second possible and show no interest whatsoever in what Junior has done that day.

So you end up with a whole group of folks who don't want to be in each other's company, talking about the weather and complimenting each other's children, when they actually think Junior is a brat......ugh!!!
Josiegirl 03:07 AM 04-02-2017
See Meeko, that's what I'm dearly hoping parents aren't really feeling underneath it all. They seem to enjoy it and have never said anything negative about it. And I do express to them that if they have commitments to please not feel pressured. I've also done little things like 'Jared' boxes, although our local hospital is too small to participate much, we did do some. We did the penpal program from here last summer, which got the parents involved a bit, just sharing what their kids are doing here in a more personal way than telling them what we did.

My opinion is it strengthens ties between their family and dc; gives me glimpses of interactions between them, their styles of child-rearing, as well as vice versa.

And it certainly doesn't have to be all about having parents come into the dc to participate. Couldn't it be something oh so simple like having the dcp help the child look for a special item for show-n-tell or sending home a small theme bag, like with a book to read together, and a small activity to do? Many years ago the kids all brought in a favorite recipe from home. I copied them all, making them into a small notebook, adding the child's own personal fav recipe too. You know how when you ask a child to tell you how to make something and you get a wonderfully cute response?? It came out adorable. But my current group is a bit young for that. Maybe I'll rethink it when the summer kids come?

I would just like more from the parents than a drop off and pick up.
Josiegirl 03:17 AM 04-02-2017
Kendallina, I'm thinking a quick visit like that too, would be good! And I definitely have parents who don't mind lingering with their kiddos.

Unreg., I've thought of doing a field trip but I'd also need parent drivers; I haven't gotten that brave yet. I'm a terrible introvert which also includes being socially inept. So the idea of doing all this plus going public with it really tosses me over the edge. The only thing we've done going anywhere was to drop off the donations for Christmas and trust me, when you get to visit the local fire station PLUS see Santa up close and personal, I wasn't worried how to be there.

And I love the idea of doing a clothing drive for foster care. One of my dcfs have adopted 2 kids after fostering so they'd be the perfect ones to ask.

My community is small but I'm sure if I searched around more ideas will pop up. I've also been hunting around pinterest.
Thanks all!
childcaremom 05:18 AM 04-02-2017
Not sure what involvement means in terms of your rules....

I made a family tree. We took a large branch, attached clothespins, and families sent in pictures of dcks and their families, pets, loved ones which we hung on our tree.

We talked about favourites. I had families send in photos/drawings/pictures of favourites places, toys, pets, foods, etc. Favourite food week we also had families send in their child's favourite for snack (simple = fruits, veggies, yogurt, etc).

Depending on the heritage of your families, we did a world tour one year. We visited countries, ate traditional dishes, listened to music, etc. When it was a country of heritage, I asked the families if they would be willing to send in a dish for lunch. I had a family from Greece..... they sent in a complete meal! It was delicious.... and educational.
Unregistered 08:59 AM 04-02-2017
Originally Posted by Meeko:

Providers clammering to involve uninterested parents, because the PC crowd says they need to, when they really don't want to.

Parents who pretend to be involved with their kids, when in fact they drop them off at daycare at the earliest moment possible and pick them up at the last second possible and show no interest whatsoever in what Junior has done that day.

So you end up with a whole group of folks who don't want to be in each other's company, talking about the weather and complimenting each other's children, when they actually think Junior is a brat......ugh!!!
I think it all depends on your families. For me my families love anything they can get involved in (excursions, being guest speakers for career day, etc) because they are very friendly and outgoing, and we live in a small community. I find my families engaging with each other, getting advice about different topics, and some have even stayed in touch and become friends even when they leave my daycare all through the events I planned. Each provider knows their families and need to adjust for what works for them.
daycare 01:20 PM 04-02-2017
I didn't read all of the responses
But here is what I do.

We participate in a program called raising a reader (RAR). It is provided by our QRIS. It's a family reading book borrowing program and I love it. We send notes back and forth every week about positive experiences. I share positive first and send it home In the kids. RAR bag. Parents send it back at the start of the following week with a shared positive note back.

I do 3 events a year. Pirate party, cape contest and car contest. These are all family functions and involvement

Lastly, I have parents come in randomly throughout the year to read or share educational experiences. It's always during circle time and we love it.

I love my families and they see me in action with the kids. I believe it helps to bring understanding why I can't provide SPECIAL and why we have the rules that we do. The parents are only a 30 minute glimpse of our day and they get it.

I honestly believe having my parents join in on our days from time to time has really helped our program grow. They see how much their child is loved and how much their child loves us and the extremes we go though to always keep them safe.

I have a larger program than most, with 17 families enrolled. I am never exhausted by these events and see all the positive it brings.

We also have an annual Easter egg hunt and back to school ice cream social for all parents to meet.

Since I've incorporated all of this I'm happier, kids and parents too.

Lastly, now when I need a day off or take a vacation no one bats an eyelash. They know I deserve it.
Unregistered 01:44 PM 04-02-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
I didn't read all of the responses
But here is what I do.

We participate in a program called raising a reader (RAR). It is provided by our QRIS. It's a family reading book borrowing program and I love it. We send notes back and forth every week about positive experiences. I share positive first and send it home In the kids. RAR bag. Parents send it back at the start of the following week with a shared positive note back.

I do 3 events a year. Pirate party, cape contest and car contest. These are all family functions and involvement

Lastly, I have parents come in randomly throughout the year to read or share educational experiences. It's always during circle time and we love it.

I love my families and they see me in action with the kids. I believe it helps to bring understanding why I can't provide SPECIAL and why we have the rules that we do. The parents are only a 30 minute glimpse of our day and they get it.

I honestly believe having my parents join in on our days from time to time has really helped our program grow. They see how much their child is loved and how much their child loves us and the extremes we go though to always keep them safe.

I have a larger program than most, with 17 families enrolled. I am never exhausted by these events and see all the positive it brings.

We also have an annual Easter egg hunt and back to school ice cream social for all parents to meet.

Since I've incorporated all of this I'm happier, kids and parents too.

Lastly, now when I need a day off or take a vacation no one bats an eyelash. They know I deserve it.
I do the same (3 events a year) and feel the same way. It also helps to set my program apart from other FCCs in the area.
Mad_Pistachio 01:46 PM 04-02-2017
Originally Posted by Meeko:

I had similar thoughts. I mean, I love our daycare and all, but I got enough crap to do without potlucks and whatever. Candy for Halloween and Easter? Always. Valentines? No problem. Gifts for Christmas? Wish I could give more than I do. Potluck? I'm busy, spare me. I'd choose home visitation over forced outing any day. (We get b-day invites. I started throwing them away after second one. Thanks, but no, thanks.)
And no, I don't consider all her classmates brats. Just 90% of them (after last birthday party)
Aussiedaycare 03:38 PM 04-02-2017
We don't have the stars program in Australia but Parental involvement is 'highly' encouraged.

For my group we have a Friday Journal that goes home every Friday with a write up about our week, a photo of the week and a piece of art work that I write near it why that piece was chosen. The parents can add photos, art work or a write up about their weekend and they bring it back on Monday.

Once a month I send home a 'Donation Slip' asking for different items and what the items will be used for - this month it was asking for old tools, bits of wood and anything else we could use second hand from their garages so we could set up a 'tool shop'. Not everyone donates every month but because I am only asking for second hand or recycling I do get a lot of donations throughout the year.

We also have a Facebook page where I encourage everyones contribution, including extended family members. At the moment we have one set of Grandparents that are travelling around Australia in a caravan so they are posting photos and letting us 'travel' with them.

We are also watching April the Giraffe and waiting for her to give birth - we have it on the computer in the background during care and parents have it on at home. A great way to do an activity in both places and I document about it so I have 'proof' for my assessors.
Unregistered 05:47 PM 04-02-2017
I worked for our state's quality rating system for awhile. Our region was just starting family engagement and I was going to oversee that as part of my job.

Honestly, I thought, "oh boy these child care teachers and had enough to do without adding more!"

I have to admit these are great ideas here and very doable!
Reply Up