Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>In parent's words "they would rather be at your house"
TSDaycare 11:11 AM 05-05-2017
This makes me cringe! Don't get me wrong, I'm happy they like it here. But is that their excuse to be able to bring them here even though they have nothing to do. No, I do not just want them to come for the heck of it, sorry, but sometimes a surprise day off is wonderful. Sometimes a surprise day to spend with my family would be super, but are parents that oblivious??!! I think mine are!! I even have parents who wait until later to get them instead of picking up early after work because the kids don't ever want to leave! Come get your kids ppl, they been here since 630am, yes I'm done with my day, let me out of work a little early sometimes

Ok, rant over
laundrymom 11:25 AM 05-05-2017
I have one who took a vacation day to watch brothers kids today. He sent pics of them playing and having a grand time. His kids are here.
I don't mind, I'm paid either way but I wish I didn't know. I try not to but I always have that voice in the back of my mind that says "a cousin day could have been awesome. If you'd only tried one. "

And they wonder why the don't want to go home..... it's sad really. I'd do just about anything to have the chances some of them just squander.
TSDaycare 11:31 AM 05-05-2017
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I have one who took a vacation day to watch brothers kids today. He sent pics of them playing and having a grand time. His kids are here.
I don't mind, I'm paid either way but I wish I didn't know. I try not to but I always have that voice in the back of my mind that says "a cousin day could have been awesome. If you'd only tried one. "

And they wonder why the don't want to go home..... it's sad really. I'd do just about anything to have the chances some of them just squander.
YES!!!!! Had this happen recently. Family had out of town family in for a week, Mom was off the entire week, sister got to take off school to do things with them. Brother was dropped off here EVERY SINGLE MORNING. Luckily for me, money is not an issue anymore, I would rather they spend extra time at home. It actually made me cry to my husband, he had to remind me it wasn't my place to worry.
Ariana 11:37 AM 05-05-2017
Had a mom say this to me a few weeks ago and suddenly start asking me for extra days
flying_babyb 12:48 PM 05-05-2017
Originally Posted by TSDaycare:
YES!!!!! Had this happen recently. Family had out of town family in for a week, Mom was off the entire week, sister got to take off school to do things with them. Brother was dropped off here EVERY SINGLE MORNING. Luckily for me, money is not an issue anymore, I would rather they spend extra time at home. It actually made me cry to my husband, he had to remind me it wasn't my place to worry.
We had a family who does this on a regular basis grandma takes one kid but wont take the other cause "Shes a brat and don's listen" The mom says it, the brother says it, grandma says it, IN front of the little girl. Shes a sweet kid too, good, a little mouthy but other than that a good kid. On those days, I make my helper and let her do some "fun" chores
Mad_Pistachio 01:28 PM 05-05-2017
I picked up early yesterday and was given grief that she was planning to play Barbies during free play time, and I spoiled the fun. Mind you, we have a box of Barbies at home.
Lesson learned.
sahm1225 01:31 PM 05-05-2017
Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio:
I picked up early yesterday and was given grief that she was planning to play Barbies during free play time, and I spoiled the fun. Mind you, we have a box of Barbies at home.
Lesson learned.
Lol! Hopefully the Grief was from your dd and forgotten very quickly.
daycarediva 01:33 PM 05-05-2017
I just think they would like it at home more if they were actually there.
Mad_Pistachio 01:41 PM 05-05-2017
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
Lol! Hopefully the Grief was from your dd and forgotten very quickly.
ah, she'll get over it.
it was just kinda like... you have at least a dozen Barbies to play with at home, and you complain you didn't get the ones from daycare? really? if it was something we don't have, I'd get it, but dolls?.. we have mountains.
Meeko 12:37 AM 05-06-2017
They know the truth...but actually telling the provider out loud,
"I don't want to parent unless I have to"
sounds kinda lame. So they have to try and make it sound like the kid's decision.
Josiegirl 02:31 AM 05-06-2017
Oh yeh, I get that sometimes too. 'She'd rather play with her friends'. Oh you mean the ones she grabs toys from and teases to get their attention? The ones that she's constantly saying 'you're not my best friend anymore?' Those little friends??
284878 10:30 AM 05-06-2017
Dcb age 2 - "Daddy's here" grabs the toys and takes care of them.
Me - "dcb, come on. Time to go home"
Dcb cries.
Dcd comes in, "what's wrong".
Me - "dcb was happy that you were here until I told him it was time to go home."
Dcb calms down as soon as DCD picks him up.
midaycare 11:07 AM 05-06-2017
Common behaviors nowadays re: parents. When my dcf's have vacation days, the kids still come, even those with older siblings who are home and hanging out with mom/dad.

Free time, or "me" time is really a new thing, and also a way for people to "keep up with the Jones'". Do you have time for a mani/pedi? Do you have time to get a hair cut/hair blown out? Do you have time to go work out? Do you have time to go hang out with a girlfriend? Go have tea? It wasn't until later last century that free time even became a thing. It's status. You can afford to send your kid to daycare, take some time off from work, and still have "me" time.

I also believe it's a result of social media. Seeing friends do this/that. Now you want to do this/that. My friend Cathy just took a girls day off, now I need one, so I can post it, too! People too attached to social media drive me nuts.

I will say that (me, personally, my opinion) I believe society stinks to high heaven now. I don't care what parents do either way - it's not my job to judge - BUT - don't have kids if you don't want to raise them. If you'd rather your child be with me on your days off, I'm okay with that. But you're being selfish. A day or two a year - that's not what I'm talking about. Also, I don't do this - I see my kid every day, whenever possible. I'm in the process of teaching my son how to become a man. That's hard work. It takes time. 18+ years. I take responsibility for the relationship I have with him, and we are pretty tight. He never had a long lasting relationship with the daycare person (man) in our life. There was no need.

Huh. That turned into a vent
Reply Up