Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Know About CDC Waitlists?
Unregistered 09:32 AM 05-03-2018
I am trying to figure out if this daycare mom is lying to me or not.

I have been watching her 7 month old son for the past 2.5 months. She is in the Navy and is a young mom. When she first contacted me about my daycare availability she asked if I was a CDC provider. I am not and she said that was fine. I asked her if she was on the CDC waitlist for a CDC provider and she said no. I remember discussing with her how I've heard the CDC waitlist is very long and how I've gotten calls from people saying they have been waiting to get in for a year or more. I also remember specifically telling her that I don't usually take families who are on the waitlist because I am looking for long term childcare family situations and not just temporary. My kids are usually with me till kindergarten and so I just dont really like doing a few months of temporary care. She totally understood and seemed fine with that and she said that if he could come to my daycare, she wouldn't even try to go thru the CDC then.

So fast forward to this week... She tells me that her hours suddenly changed at work and she needs childcare to begin at 5am instead of 6am. She didn't even ask if I could accommodate that (which I would not have). So she gave me a 2 week notice. I asked her if she had any other daycares lined up and she says no and doesn't even seemed concerned about it. I was telling her names of daycares that might be able to help her out with earlier hours and she didn't even seem interested. So bizarre to me.

Anyway... she ends up saying that she will probably put him in CDC childcare after all since she needs early hours and I tell her how will that happen if the waitlist is super long? She says she walked into the CDC office and that they said she has a good chance of getting in within the next 2 weeks without being on a waitlist. She also says "I dont think the CDC even really has a waitlist. I think if you walk in, they just give you a space". Hmmm... I am wondering if this is true? Does anyone know how this works?

I'm thinking she has been on the CDC waitlist since a long time ago and she lied to me that she wanted to keep him here long term so I would take him into my daycare until they contacted her with a space. Now its 2.5 months into him being here and she's suddenly leaving for an hour change. Seems fishy to me.

I really dont mind them leaving because I can sleep in an hour later now and she continually was lying to me about random things and was pushing her limits with my policies. I just cant stand being lied to. So I am just wondering if any other providers know if this is even possible for her to walk into the CDC and instantly get a spot or if she is lying to me.
Cat Herder 10:10 AM 05-03-2018
I would start here http://www.militaryonesource.mil/childcare
Unregistered 10:12 AM 05-03-2018
Thank you!
Unregistered 10:18 AM 05-03-2018
I just scanned thru that site and there is no real info on how the waitlist works or if there is one...how long it takes, etc etc. I would rather get info from other daycare providers who deal with CDC families and know how it works. Thanks tho.
Cat Herder 10:24 AM 05-03-2018
https://livechat.militaryonesourceconnect.org/chat/

You can ask your question directly to someone who will know for sure for your specific branch, state, county and possibly client. They will be able to give you the resources you need.
daycarediva 10:25 AM 05-03-2018
Honestly I know nothing about the CDC wait list, but it sounds to me like she just used you for temporary care until the kid got in. ESPECIALLY since she didn't even ASK if you would consider the hour change. I would be tempted to call her bluff.

Parents lie to suit their purposes all the time.
Unregistered 11:17 AM 05-03-2018
@ daycarediva - Yeah thats what I'm thinking too. I wanted to know the facts on the CDC waiting list so I could call her bluff. Thanks Catherder... I'll go on that live chat thing and see what I can find out
Unregistered 12:07 PM 05-03-2018
Let's see, you wouldn't have been able to accommodate her schedule change and were already unhappy with her/felt she was dishonest/etc. Why spend all this time doing research to the point of contacting the military? Move on. I don't think that chat link is going to go how you're hoping, if you are so bold as to try to use it.
Cat Herder 12:13 PM 05-03-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Let's see, you wouldn't have been able to accommodate her schedule change and were already unhappy with her/felt she was dishonest/etc. Why spend all this time doing research to the point of contacting the military? Move on. I don't think that chat link is going to go how you're hoping, if you are so bold as to try to use it.
As a childcare provider who willingly accepts military paid children, getting information on how best to serve them and how to enroll them correctly is to everyone's benefit. This is not taught in provider training. We have to seek that education on our own.
Rockgirl 02:04 PM 05-03-2018
Personally, I wouldn’t worry about calling her bluff...she gave notice—I’d just leave it at that
Unregistered 06:59 PM 05-03-2018
Yeah I'm over it. I just hate being lied to. We are a military family but I never looked into being a military provider so I know nothing about this process. I didn't have a chance to go on that website to find out any info. I'm sure she's lying to me... but whatever. She's proven to be dishonest time and time again. I'm happy they are going so its all good.
hwichlaz 09:26 AM 05-04-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
As a childcare provider who willingly accepts military paid children, getting information on how best to serve them and how to enroll them correctly is to everyone's benefit. This is not taught in provider training. We have to seek that education on our own.
Right, but the OP does NOT accept military paid children.
Cat Herder 10:13 AM 05-04-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Right, but the OP does NOT accept military paid children.
I answered "Anyone Know About CDC Waitlists?" to the best of my ability.

Nothing more, nothing less.

If OP lives in an area with many military families, it could help her business and her community for her to become educated on the topic directly from the source to become a CDC provider.

I get she was venting as well, who hasn't, but IMO the over-all topic did not change.
Luvnmykidz 09:50 AM 05-05-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am trying to figure out if this daycare mom is lying to me or not.

I have been watching her 7 month old son for the past 2.5 months. She is in the Navy and is a young mom. When she first contacted me about my daycare availability she asked if I was a CDC provider. I am not and she said that was fine. I asked her if she was on the CDC waitlist for a CDC provider and she said no. I remember discussing with her how I've heard the CDC waitlist is very long and how I've gotten calls from people saying they have been waiting to get in for a year or more. I also remember specifically telling her that I don't usually take families who are on the waitlist because I am looking for long term childcare family situations and not just temporary. My kids are usually with me till kindergarten and so I just dont really like doing a few months of temporary care. She totally understood and seemed fine with that and she said that if he could come to my daycare, she wouldn't even try to go thru the CDC then.

So fast forward to this week... She tells me that her hours suddenly changed at work and she needs childcare to begin at 5am instead of 6am. She didn't even ask if I could accommodate that (which I would not have). So she gave me a 2 week notice. I asked her if she had any other daycares lined up and she says no and doesn't even seemed concerned about it. I was telling her names of daycares that might be able to help her out with earlier hours and she didn't even seem interested. So bizarre to me.

Anyway... she ends up saying that she will probably put him in CDC childcare after all since she needs early hours and I tell her how will that happen if the waitlist is super long? She says she walked into the CDC office and that they said she has a good chance of getting in within the next 2 weeks without being on a waitlist. She also says "I dont think the CDC even really has a waitlist. I think if you walk in, they just give you a space". Hmmm... I am wondering if this is true? Does anyone know how this works?

I'm thinking she has been on the CDC waitlist since a long time ago and she lied to me that she wanted to keep him here long term so I would take him into my daycare until they contacted her with a space. Now its 2.5 months into him being here and she's suddenly leaving for an hour change. Seems fishy to me.

I really dont mind them leaving because I can sleep in an hour later now and she continually was lying to me about random things and was pushing her limits with my policies. I just cant stand being lied to. So I am just wondering if any other providers know if this is even possible for her to walk into the CDC and instantly get a spot or if she is lying to me.
I have provided on several occasions care for families that are military and on the CDC waitlist. Each CDC’s waitlist length of time is different, ranging from 1 month to a year. I have never experienced a family walking in and getting a space within 2 weeks, without being on a waitlist (not to say it doesn’t happen, just have never heard of or experienced that). To me it seems very likely that this mom was dishonest because she needed a space and didn’t know how long to CDC would take to get her in. I understand you not liking being lied to completely. Hopefully you’re able to fill your space quickly and not result in to much of a financial loss because of this.
Tags:military, military providers, subsidy
Reply Up