Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Kid Who Won't Pee (or Drink)...Sorry, a little long...
Hunni Bee 04:58 PM 10-07-2011
I have 3 year old who will be 4 around Christmas. He just moved to me from the two-year-old room. He has some delays...when his mother enrolled him in the summer of '10 he was two and a half, totally nonverbal, no discipline or self control, screamed for everything...he stayed with the two-year-old teacher from then until about two weeks ago. He is catching up rapidly, his verbal skills are coming along beautifully

He has just "potty-trained". He still does not tell you he needs to go...and he doesn't go either. He just holds it all day...even through nap. It seems he does not like to use the toilet. He would pee a blue streak in his pull-up, and then when he started potty-training he would just pee on himself or on the floor in the bathroom. After two incidents of full-blown peeing on the floor, I told him "DO NOT pee on my floor". And now he isn't peeing at all .

But other problem is he doesn't drink much. We only serve milk and water as beverages. Our food program used to send us chocolate and strawberry 8 oz milk boxes...he'd suck those down. Well, they dropped those and are only sending unflavored white milk. He won't drink any milk if it isn't dark brown chocolate, totally sweet and the entire 8 oz carton. If we pour half of it into a cup he won't drink, if we cut it with regular milk so it isn't so sweet (which we used to do for the other kids)...he won't have it.

So he gets no drink. He's JUST (like yesterday) started drinking water and I'm so happy...but I'm worried about him not urinating or holding for hours on end. I didn't too much worry about him not drinking because he showed no signs of being dehydrated...but I know he's making urine and I've seen kids get bladder infections from holding it (I used to do it as a kid and had plenty).

I put him on the pot at our regular potty times...and he sits there for about 30 seconds and them comes bounding out without putting a drop in the pot.

What can I do (if anything)?
Michael 06:31 PM 10-07-2011
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...n%27t+go+potty

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34534
nannyde 07:47 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
I have 3 year old who will be 4 around Christmas. He just moved to me from the two-year-old room. He has some delays...when his mother enrolled him in the summer of '10 he was two and a half, totally nonverbal, no discipline or self control, screamed for everything...he stayed with the two-year-old teacher from then until about two weeks ago. He is catching up rapidly, his verbal skills are coming along beautifully

He has just "potty-trained". He still does not tell you he needs to go...and he doesn't go either. He just holds it all day...even through nap. It seems he does not like to use the toilet. He would pee a blue streak in his pull-up, and then when he started potty-training he would just pee on himself or on the floor in the bathroom. After two incidents of full-blown peeing on the floor, I told him "DO NOT pee on my floor". And now he isn't peeing at all .

But other problem is he doesn't drink much. We only serve milk and water as beverages. Our food program used to send us chocolate and strawberry 8 oz milk boxes...he'd suck those down. Well, they dropped those and are only sending unflavored white milk. He won't drink any milk if it isn't dark brown chocolate, totally sweet and the entire 8 oz carton. If we pour half of it into a cup he won't drink, if we cut it with regular milk so it isn't so sweet (which we used to do for the other kids)...he won't have it.

So he gets no drink. He's JUST (like yesterday) started drinking water and I'm so happy...but I'm worried about him not urinating or holding for hours on end. I didn't too much worry about him not drinking because he showed no signs of being dehydrated...but I know he's making urine and I've seen kids get bladder infections from holding it (I used to do it as a kid and had plenty).

I put him on the pot at our regular potty times...and he sits there for about 30 seconds and them comes bounding out without putting a drop in the pot.

What can I do (if anything)?
He's telling you he can't manage the time on the pot so you have to take it over. Tell him he is to sit until you tell him he can get off. He needs to sit with his little John Thomas pointed downwards and RELAX on the pot. He needs to have NOTHING to do but sit.

Sit outside the door with your back to him and make him calm down and just SIT.

If he doesn't pee within three to four minutes THEN try the trickling water trick. Have the water on in the sink but not in an even flow sound. Get the water to come out with more of a chugging uneven sound. That will stimulate him to pee.

As far as drinks.. if he is drinking candy milk at home you will not get him to drink skim milk at day care. I would have a nice really cold glass of water and draw him to you to do "cheers" with you and you two clank glasses and drink together. Do............. 1.... 2......... 3........ wheeeeeeeeeeee then chug WITH him. Once he gets a couple of gulps down and quits give him a nice twirl and send him on his way.

Let him see you LOVE LOVE LOVE yourself a tall glass of cold water and ask him to join you. Once you get him used to it then you can move the glass to the meal times. I would also get him some themed water cups that are identical and have it just be the two of you with the cups...
Hunni Bee 08:50 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I would have a nice really cold glass of water and draw him to you to do "cheers" with you and you two clank glasses and drink together. Do............. 1.... 2......... 3........ wheeeeeeeeeeee then chug WITH him. Once he gets a couple of gulps down and quits give him a nice twirl and send him on his way.

Let him see you LOVE LOVE LOVE yourself a tall glass of cold water and ask him to join you. Once you get him used to it then you can move the glass to the meal times. I would also get him some themed water cups that are identical and have it just be the two of you with the cups...
My other kids would DIE

But I'll try that. He drank two cups of water after outside time today, but when I asked him did he want any with his lunch, he didn't.

Thanks, Nan.
Ariana 09:58 AM 10-08-2011
I had and am having similar issues with a 3 year old girl. She will only pee if I leave the bathroom so I've started doing that. Took me a little while to figure it out!! Now I just say "ok I'll be right back, let me know when you're finished" and she goes. As for drinking she still barely drinks anything with me. I don't serve sugary drinks and chocolate milk and that's all she drinks at home so she does the majority of her drinking at home I assume, although the DCM says she doesn't drink much at home either!! She literally only pees 2X a day and I have to ask her to go (before nap and before we go to the park). It's the strangest thing!!
cheerfuldom 12:41 PM 10-08-2011
you can have a glass next to sink, fill it with water and then pour back into the sink to make that water sound nan is talking about. a distinct water sound works really well for some kids. they need a cue to go in the potty. whatever you are currently doing with him, do the opposite. for instance, my middle daughter only goes if I turn my back, some kids only go when you are right there next to them the whole time....try and play with that and see what happens. since he is older, you could also try rewards although I don't know what your center rules are on that. For this extreme of a case though, I would do it even though I normally have a "no rewards" rule.
Kaddidle Care 06:20 PM 10-08-2011
We should have fish tanks in bathrooms! I used to work in a Pet Shop in the Fish room and I was forever running to the bathroom!

"He just moved to me from the two-year-old room." Give him some time to adjust and don't fret it. This is a new room for him, new Teacher and he got scolded when he did a booboo.

ChillAx!
Hunni Bee 06:56 PM 10-08-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
We should have fish tanks in bathrooms! I used to work in a Pet Shop in the Fish room and I was forever running to the bathroom!

"He just moved to me from the two-year-old room." Give him some time to adjust and don't fret it. This is a new room for him, new Teacher and he got scolded when he did a booboo.

ChillAx!
Thanks.

Im not pushing him to use the potty...I just worry about him holding it. I'm afraid I might have contributed to that, because he didn't accidentally go on the floor...he used it as alternative to the toilet. He'd been doing it a lot in the two-year-old room. I wanted him to know its not okay to go on the floor, so I'm thinking to avoid peeing in the toilet (or the floor) he just holds it until he gets home (and in a pull-up).
sharlan 08:52 PM 10-08-2011
As others have said, try turning your back to the door, or even closing the door and allowing him privacy to pee.

My 4 yo would not pee or poop if anyone was in the bathroom. He had to be alone and the door had to be shut. He's better about it now.
Tags:3 year old, won't drink, won't go potty
Reply Up