Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ideas For Drop Off And Pick Up (New Space)
LittleScholars 07:44 AM 02-16-2017
I just re-opened after my maternity leave, and we are in a new space (in my basement). This is a tricky question without seeing my layout, but I'm hoping someone may have a similar setup and a creative solution for these times.

-I have a pick up and drop off window, but each span over an hour (and thanks to all of your previous feedback we've really cleaned up those times)
-I have a two story house, and we are now in the basement. To get to the basement, you have to walk through my house.
-I can hear the doorbell, but getting up and down the stairs is particularly tricky because I have an infant now.
-We do have an egress door that goes outside, but I live in snowy Upstate NY, so this isn't an option for quite a few months out of the year. The cement stairs also concern me during any wet months.
-I did keep a small area for a playroom upstairs, but it doesn't have much in it now. We get super bored, super fast.

Would you just have parents walk through the house and come down? Would you just keep kids in the small area upstairs during the window? I hate to leave the door unlocked most of the day, and we had a very small issue with a sibling wandering around the house yesterday (it was totally harmless and I addressed it, but it could have gone wrong). Does anyone have a similar setup and a good system?

Thank you! I ask the silliest questions, but you are all so helpful!
LittleScholars 07:47 AM 02-16-2017
I just returned from maternity leave with my 5 week old. I live in Upstate NY, so we get a variety of weather. Right now it is above freezing, but it is cold and snowy. I have active toddlers that are used to going outside.

For those of you that have a mixed age group (young infants/toddlers) and live in areas that get cold, how do you manage this? I work alone and getting help isn't an option right now.
Blackcat31 07:48 AM 02-16-2017
Originally Posted by LittleScholars:
I just re-opened after my maternity leave, and we are in a new space (in my basement). This is a tricky question without seeing my layout, but I'm hoping someone may have a similar setup and a creative solution for these times.

-I have a pick up and drop off window, but each span over an hour (and thanks to all of your previous feedback we've really cleaned up those times)
-I have a two story house, and we are now in the basement. To get to the basement, you have to walk through my house.
-I can hear the doorbell, but getting up and down the stairs is particularly tricky because I have an infant now.
-We do have an egress door that goes outside, but I live in snowy Upstate NY, so this isn't an option for quite a few months out of the year. The cement stairs also concern me during any wet months.
-I did keep a small area for a playroom upstairs, but it doesn't have much in it now. We get super bored, super fast.

Would you just have parents walk through the house and come down? Would you just keep kids in the small area upstairs during the window? I hate to leave the door unlocked most of the day, and we had a very small issue with a sibling wandering around the house yesterday (it was totally harmless and I addressed it, but it could have gone wrong). Does anyone have a similar setup and a good system?

Thank you! I ask the silliest questions, but you are all so helpful!
What time frames are your pick ups and drop offs?

If they are or could be condensed enough I'd definitely plan activities in the upper room near the door just to eliminate some of the issues you are having now.

I do think the best solution is a door where the egress window is but living in northern MN, I understand about weather and having to delay certain projects until better weather occurs.

Another solution is to get a RING doorbell. You can keep the door locked and still be able to see and talk to anyone at the door (via your smart phone).
daycarediva 07:49 AM 02-16-2017
I am in NY- both egresses are required to be kept clear, so even if you aren't using it- it should be shoveled out.

I would do an upstairs activity upstairs during the one hour drop off and one hour pick up window. No way do I want families coming/going in my house, nor woul I want to be running up/down the stairs for those times.
Blackcat31 07:50 AM 02-16-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I am in NY- both egresses are required to be kept clear, so even if you aren't using it- it should be shoveled out.

I would do an upstairs activity upstairs during the one hour drop off and one hour pick up window. No way do I want families coming/going in my house, nor woul I want to be running up/down the stairs for those times.
My bad, I thought it was an egress window that could be made into a door just now now because of winter.

But yes, if it is already a door, I'd figure out a way to clear it since all exits to and from the play areas should always be clear and useable just in case.
racemom 08:04 AM 02-16-2017
Find special activities to do in your upstairs playroom so they don't get bored. Special toys, with a timer so they only get to play with those toys for ten minutes and then you move onto the next. Or do some special group activities that are only done at that time, coloring, puzzles, dance. Anything that they do not get to do the rest of the day, make that a special time, so they look forward to upstairs time.
childcaremom 08:09 AM 02-16-2017
I have the same set up, minus the infant.

I can see from the basement window when families arrive and I go up and meet them at the door. I take the child and parents leave without even coming in. This lets me and dck get undressed and downstairs much more quickly and reduces any morning conferences. If I had an infant, or a child that I couldn't leave for a minute, then I would have a pack n play set up (or other safe place) to set them while I meet kids at the door.

I've also done table set ups upstairs (so colouring, activities) etc while everyone arrives and then we can go downstairs as a group.

I used to let parents come in and downstairs but had a lot of issues. Outdoor footwear in the house. Parents lingering. Parents wandering through my house upstairs after I thought they left!! Etc. Now they don't get to come in past the doorway.
CityGarden 08:24 AM 02-16-2017
I would shorten your drop off and pick up window.... (but also consider building in some flexibility)

My dd's first preschool had a 15 minute drop off / pick up window - stated it was due to them being in a residential neighborhood. So drop off was between 9-9:15am pick up was 12-12:15pm. They actually had a teacher walk children back and fourth from the "car line" to the outdoor play yard each morning. IF a parent was late the child could still come but we needed to park about a half block away, be buzzed into a gate (sometimes there was a delay due to them being focused on the children) and walk our child in. (We loved it there but left due to the very limited hours.)
Poptarts22 09:03 AM 02-16-2017
My set up is similar. I use a security camera and driveway alarm to signal when a parent arrives. I take the child up to the parent. They dress by the front door. I keep a baby gate latched to keep them from wondering through my home should they come in before I get to the door.
LittleScholars 11:01 AM 02-16-2017
Originally Posted by LittleScholars:
I just returned from maternity leave with my 5 week old. I live in Upstate NY, so we get a variety of weather. Right now it is above freezing, but it is cold and snowy. I have active toddlers that are used to going outside.

For those of you that have a mixed age group (young infants/toddlers) and live in areas that get cold, how do you manage this? I work alone and getting help isn't an option right now.
Oops! Mom brain. That was supposed to be a new thread!
LittleScholars 11:03 AM 02-16-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

We keep is shoveled, but feet would still get wet coming to the door. We have cement stairs and that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
LittleScholars 11:04 AM 02-16-2017
Originally Posted by racemom:
Find special activities to do in your upstairs playroom so they don't get bored. Special toys, with a timer so they only get to play with those toys for ten minutes and then you move onto the next. Or do some special group activities that are only done at that time, coloring, puzzles, dance. Anything that they do not get to do the rest of the day, make that a special time, so they look forward to upstairs time.
Oh, smart!
LittleScholars 11:06 AM 02-16-2017
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I have the same set up, minus the infant.

I can see from the basement window when families arrive and I go up and meet them at the door. I take the child and parents leave without even coming in. This lets me and dck get undressed and downstairs much more quickly and reduces any morning conferences. If I had an infant, or a child that I couldn't leave for a minute, then I would have a pack n play set up (or other safe place) to set them while I meet kids at the door.

I've also done table set ups upstairs (so colouring, activities) etc while everyone arrives and then we can go downstairs as a group.

I used to let parents come in and downstairs but had a lot of issues. Outdoor footwear in the house. Parents lingering. Parents wandering through my house upstairs after I thought they left!! Etc. Now they don't get to come in past the doorway.

This is super helpful and those are the issues I'm worried about.
LittleScholars 11:08 AM 02-16-2017
Originally Posted by Poptarts22:
My set up is similar. I use a security camera and driveway alarm to signal when a parent arrives. I take the child up to the parent. They dress by the front door. I keep a baby gate latched to keep them from wondering through my home should they come in before I get to the door.
Oh, a baby gate is smart!! I also know that if I tell them to wait they will, but I wasn't sure what was best.
LittleScholars 11:09 AM 02-16-2017
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
I would shorten your drop off and pick up window.... (but also consider building in some flexibility)

My dd's first preschool had a 15 minute drop off / pick up window - stated it was due to them being in a residential neighborhood. So drop off was between 9-9:15am pick up was 12-12:15pm. They actually had a teacher walk children back and fourth from the "car line" to the outdoor play yard each morning. IF a parent was late the child could still come but we needed to park about a half block away, be buzzed into a gate (sometimes there was a delay due to them being focused on the children) and walk our child in. (We loved it there but left due to the very limited hours.)
Going forward, I think I will shorten that window. I'm nervous how current families would respond. I'm definitely going to think about this.
AmyKidsCo 12:00 PM 02-16-2017
I definitely wouldn't want parents wandering through my house by themselves. I'd have all the kiddos upstairs during that hour-long window and stock that room with special toys that are only used there and then - maybe a sensory table or play dough. Or comfy couch, TV and books for a quieter beginning and end to the day.
LittleScholars 12:08 PM 02-16-2017
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I definitely wouldn't want parents wandering through my house by themselves. I'd have all the kiddos upstairs during that hour-long window and stock that room with special toys that are only used there and then - maybe a sensory table or play dough. Or comfy couch, TV and books for a quieter beginning and end to the day.
I'm sold on this at least until we have a better doorbell system. I just need to invest in this room. Love the comfy couch idea.
Ariana 01:05 PM 02-16-2017
I have a short window of a half an hour right now but there were times when it was more than that. In my old house I put a bookshelf in my living room and we would all go upstairs and read books until pickup. It worked perfectly. we do it now too. Another idea would be to serve a very small snack or give everyone sippy cups of cold water while waiting.
LittleScholars 04:56 PM 02-16-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I have a short window of a half an hour right now but there were times when it was more than that. In my old house I put a bookshelf in my living room and we would all go upstairs and read books until pickup. It worked perfectly. we do it now too. Another idea would be to serve a very small snack or give everyone sippy cups of cold water while waiting.
That's ideal. I love the short window and the focused activity. Thanks for sharing!
daycare 07:05 PM 02-16-2017
I don't have stairs but this is how I do mine.
We have a driveway camera. Links to my phone. As soon as I see someone coming child is sent to get dressed to go. I know most of the expected pick up times but sometimes parents pick up early.

I have a 30 minute window. 4:30 first pick up and 5:00 second pick up. During that time we dance, sing, read stories and sometimes we do group buildings or puzzles. BUT there is a mess to clean after that.

I would also invest in a door/driveway camera. Then when you see the parent, you immediately inform that child before seeing the parent "Johnny it is time to get your shoes on to go home". I have a baby gate they go on the other side. Parent and child stay on the other side while i sit with the rest of the group. The camera is sooo helpful. I usually see their car pull up and that's allows me time to get the child over the gate and getting ready to go.

If I know it's a 4:30 pick up, the kid is getting dressed with shoes on at 4:25. It works like a charm.

The space I have for pick up is small, so parents don't have room to hang out. They always leave right away. If they linger in the front yard I will ask them to move on. It's only ever happened once.

Good luck on your new place. It sounds exciting.
LittleScholars 05:53 AM 02-17-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
I don't have stairs but this is how I do mine.
We have a driveway camera. Links to my phone. As soon as I see someone coming child is sent to get dressed to go. I know most of the expected pick up times but sometimes parents pick up early.

I have a 30 minute window. 4:30 first pick up and 5:00 second pick up. During that time we dance, sing, read stories and sometimes we do group buildings or puzzles. BUT there is a mess to clean after that.

I would also invest in a door/driveway camera. Then when you see the parent, you immediately inform that child before seeing the parent "Johnny it is time to get your shoes on to go home". I have a baby gate they go on the other side. Parent and child stay on the other side while i sit with the rest of the group. The camera is sooo helpful. I usually see their car pull up and that's allows me time to get the child over the gate and getting ready to go.

If I know it's a 4:30 pick up, the kid is getting dressed with shoes on at 4:25. It works like a charm.

The space I have for pick up is small, so parents don't have room to hang out. They always leave right away. If they linger in the front yard I will ask them to move on. It's only ever happened once.

Good luck on your new place. It sounds exciting.
Ohh! Do you recall what the brand of the camera is? I've been looking at the RING doorbell, but I'm not sure seeing them at the front door would give me enough time to get them ready. If I knew who was in the driveway I could actually get them ready and walk them to the top of the stairs and I'd still be able to supervise everyone.

I think staying in the small space upstairs is probably the easiest, but yesterday I was realizing it is my school-agers that really struggle. They are dying to have space to move and do gross motor play, and that can't happen in the small space. They are also my latest pick-ups, so they are so antsy by the time parents come. With that said, it still might be the best option.

We have been working on the new space forever, so I am so excited it is finally open!
Play Care 06:05 AM 02-17-2017
Im also in upstate NY. When I taught preschool in a church basement years ago, we had a similar set up/issue. Parents would be wandering through the vestry to get to the preschool, occasionally causing disruption to church meetings. We started using the outside cement stairs make sure they were clear and sanded. We put a bench and good quality mud rug at the door so parents could assist with changing boots to shoes. We reminded parents to be careful on the stairs. I don't think we had an issue.
As someone who has day care on their main level, I would be doing everything in my power to keep it on one level and make it so that my main home is OFF limits. Even for an hour at pick up.
LittleScholars 10:44 AM 02-17-2017
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Im also in upstate NY. When I taught preschool in a church basement years ago, we had a similar set up/issue. Parents would be wandering through the vestry to get to the preschool, occasionally causing disruption to church meetings. We started using the outside cement stairs make sure they were clear and sanded. We put a bench and good quality mud rug at the door so parents could assist with changing boots to shoes. We reminded parents to be careful on the stairs. I don't think we had an issue.
As someone who has day care on their main level, I would be doing everything in my power to keep it on one level and make it so that my main home is OFF limits. Even for an hour at pick up.
I actually haven't tried the cement stairs while wet, so maybe it wouldn't be as horrible as I thought. We haven't applied the sand paint (whatever it is called yet) because I was told it was too cold to apply right now. But now I am eager to do so! Thank you!
Sumshine 12:30 PM 02-17-2017
I don't know what I would do if my house wasn't laid out the way it was! I am so thankful that I purchased my home a month after I decided I wanted to do childcare lol! I was crazy picky! I wanted to split entry which works out well you are there go up or down down is to the general daycare area and up is to my kitchen/living room and our bedrooms.

Parents go up in the morning because they drop off during breakfast time and go down in the afternoon/evenings as that's where we always are. I have Gates everywhere which really helps for a visual of where you should and shouldn't be you. No kiddos can go back to my bedroom area or can go upstairs or downstairs without me opening them!

I almost didn't get my current house because the seller started adding some weird stipulations even though we gave them their asking price and didn't make them reapir anything per the inspection so I was ready to toss in the towel and start over luckily it worked out as she was basically told by her realtor and my realtor that she is nuts and that she can't do that lol!
284878 08:26 PM 02-17-2017
My Grandmother used this outdoor carpet to prevent slips. It does fall apart over time but it is fairly inexpensive and you maybe able to install it now.

https://jet.com/product/detail/863c3...-yYaAoHg8P8HAQ

You could also get an alarm like this and put on the outside steps to let you know when someone is coming down.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2712455...&ul_noapp=true
LittleScholars 09:15 AM 02-20-2017
Originally Posted by Sumshine:
I don't know what I would do if my house wasn't laid out the way it was! I am so thankful that I purchased my home a month after I decided I wanted to do childcare lol! I was crazy picky! I wanted to split entry which works out well you are there go up or down down is to the general daycare area and up is to my kitchen/living room and our bedrooms.

Parents go up in the morning because they drop off during breakfast time and go down in the afternoon/evenings as that's where we always are. I have Gates everywhere which really helps for a visual of where you should and shouldn't be you. No kiddos can go back to my bedroom area or can go upstairs or downstairs without me opening them!

I almost didn't get my current house because the seller started adding some weird stipulations even though we gave them their asking price and didn't make them reapir anything per the inspection so I was ready to toss in the towel and start over luckily it worked out as she was basically told by her realtor and my realtor that she is nuts and that she can't do that lol!
You were very forward thinking! I shouldn't complain, because I'm so excited to have a new play space, but it is a total pain.
LittleScholars 09:17 AM 02-20-2017
Originally Posted by 284878:
My Grandmother used this outdoor carpet to prevent slips. It does fall apart over time but it is fairly inexpensive and you maybe able to install it now.

https://jet.com/product/detail/863c3...-yYaAoHg8P8HAQ

You could also get an alarm like this and put on the outside steps to let you know when someone is coming down.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2712455...&ul_noapp=true
This is great!! I just ordered two alarms, and I'm going to get this carpet, as well! It definitely can't hurt, and it is so affordable!
Tags:door alarm, drop off transition, entry set up, entry way, pick up transition, ring door bell, split entryway
Reply Up