Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Toys/Bedrooms/Biting
booroo 02:39 PM 02-05-2010
Ok do you use your own childrens' toys and do you let the daycare kids go into there rooms, or do you have seperate toys for your daycare kids and have your children rooms off limits?

Im trying to figure this all out sorry for the dumb question!!!

Also I have 1 child that I watch after every other week, its a custody thing, when custody is all worked out, I should have him all the time. Anyway he is 5, and today he bite my daughter(6), I was in shock as what I should do, I have never had a child bit after the age of 2. Also this child will not share, if I tell him he has to give the toy up that he took, he start screaming and hiting me or the other children.
How should I handle this. For the biting, I sent him to a room to take a nap, he doesnt nap, I just figured he was tired.
I dont know suggestion.
momofboys 03:14 PM 02-05-2010
Originally Posted by booroo:
Ok do you use your own childrens' toys and do you let the daycare kids go into there rooms, or do you have seperate toys for your daycare kids and have your children rooms off limits?

Im trying to figure this all out sorry for the dumb question!!!

Also I have 1 child that I watch after every other week, its a custdoy thing, when custody is all worked out, I should have him all the time. Anyway he is 5, and today he bite my daughter(6), I was in shock as what I should do, I have never had a child bit after the age of 2. Also this child will not share, if I tell him he has to give the toy up that he took, he start screaming and hiting me or the other children.
How should I handle this. For the biting, I sent him to a room to take a nap, he doesnt nap, I just figured he was tired.
I dont know suggestion.
I will answer part of your question. My older boys' room is off limits (they are 6 & 8 & in school most of the day). Now our toddler's toys pretty much are in the living room all day where we spend 90% of our time. So everyone plays with them. Daycare kids can go into our toddler's bedroom but not our older boys' room unless the boys are here & say it is okay.
mac60 04:03 PM 02-05-2010
I would probably keep your childrens toys and the daycare toys separate, except for things your kids don't really care about. I would not let them in your children's room. I feel that just needs to be "their" space, and not have to be shared with dc.

As far as the biting, he would of been put on a chair for the rest of the day in a room off to himself, like the kitchen, and I wouldn't of cared if he sat there for 6 hours. Absolutely too old to be biting. As far as the hitting, I would put him on a chair again in a room away from everyone for a minimum of 15 minutes, then I would remind him of why he was there before I allowed him up, then if he did it again the same day, he would once again be removed from the group. This sounds like a kid you are going to have to be very firm with. He is way too old to be biting and hitting, especially an adult. Good luck with him.
originalkat 04:38 PM 02-05-2010
My kids' room is off limits to the daycare kids. They have their own toys and the daycare kids have specific ones in the daycare room. My kids play with both.
booroo 04:56 PM 02-05-2010
Well Im glad that I handle the biting thing ok. I did let him out of the room.
Ok, so the older kids room are off limits. By I think they will be able to go into the 2 year olds room. I have a room just for baby's to nap in, so the children will be kept out of there.
AnythingsPossible 11:34 AM 02-09-2010
When my kids were younger, I let daycare kids play in their room if my kids wanted them to. Now that they are older, 8-11-13, their rooms are off limits. If I have kids their age in the summer, they can play in the rooms if my kids want them to.
As for the biting. You mention custody. Take into consideration that the biting may be a reaction to family situation if this is a recent seperation. Even if it isn't, if they are working on custody issues, there may be quite a bit of stress at home. He may need a little extra guidance and care during this time.
Unregistered 02:44 PM 02-09-2010
My kids rooms have ALWAYS been off limits! I think that its asking to much of our own children (even if they want too)to share their room and thier toys after having to share me and my time with other peoples kids..
As for the biting,way to old to be doing that,at that age it is a violent act done out of aggression, and as for the hitting, sorry but no way in H*ll would i put up with being hit by a child regardless of whats going on at his house,not at that age anyway..The way I look at it is like this, even though my heart goes out to the little guy and i understand his frustration the fact that he would DARE hit a grown up shows he is WAAAAY out of control and i would be very concerned about the safety of the other kids. If it was me i would document it and make a copy for the parents and say that if it happens again he will be terminated, it is your job to provide a safe nurturing place for ALL the children in your care, it is not your job to cousel the child through his parents seperation so maybe suggest to dcp that they take him to see someone if his aggression continues.
I know that may seem harsh but ive had to deal with a boy like that and i made excuses for his inappropriate behavior UNTILL other dck started saying they didnt want to come if he was gonna be there, and these were young kids so they are affected by his attitude.
Good Luck with whatever you decide..
Kiddiecare
jeneferwillson 01:48 AM 04-07-2011
Hello everyone !!
Kids like their toys very much, I have 6 years old baby girl she has lots of toys like teddies, dolls, playhouse, swings, carom and many more. Her room is always full of her toys and its really tough for me to manage them.
Tags:toys
Reply Up