Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does This Look Like A Scam?
Childminder 09:32 AM 10-27-2013
Don't want to click on it if it is. Response email to a craigslist ad.

Can you care for my daughter for 4 weeks in your place? What is your total price?
just try and compose a new plain mail to me at richardchypher12@gmail.com

Regards
Dr.Richard
Please email me at richardchypher12@gmail.com
mrsnj 09:41 AM 10-27-2013
Yes yes and probably yes.

If they send me links I never open them. You can get a feel on if it is real cause MOST will give info.....full time, part time, hours, info on the child (girl boy age etc). When they do not give me details or ask for normal details of me I google the name. If I cannot find them local, I am cautious. I would not reply via the link. You could opt to either reply through craigslist (keeping in mind that once you do, your email now shows to them) OR do not reply.

For ME I wouldn't bother cause I don't take drop ins anyway. And that says red flags all over it. BTW I googled the email addie and nothing showed so I googled the name and it comes up an actor. Rather sexy actor so maybe you might want to reconsider (yum LOL)

Most of the time they want to do a deal of "I will send you a check and you cash it etc so can I have your info". Ummmmm no

I had one say they were coming for a CEO meeting from out of the country and wanted to know if I could 'nanny' their children while here since I was right where they would be holding the CEO meeting of some company. I had to laugh and write back on that one. Told them that next time they want to scam someone they might want to google info on the area cause the only thing out here was cows and horses and fields! Unless they were members of their CEO meeting, don't bother me again. LMAO
melilley 10:15 AM 10-27-2013
UGH.... probably a scam. I get them every time I post a new ad. Someone wants to know if they can "use" my house for their daughter for an month or someone wants me to sent them how much I would charge for a month and it's always in broken English. Now I know in my area there are a lot of families that don't have English as their first language, but the requests are just weird and sound even weirder.

I never reply to those.
melilley 10:16 AM 10-27-2013
Originally Posted by mrsnj:
Yes yes and probably yes.

If they send me links I never open them. You can get a feel on if it is real cause MOST will give info.....full time, part time, hours, info on the child (girl boy age etc). When they do not give me details or ask for normal details of me I google the name. If I cannot find them local, I am cautious. I would not reply via the link. You could opt to either reply through craigslist (keeping in mind that once you do, your email now shows to them) OR do not reply.

For ME I wouldn't bother cause I don't take drop ins anyway. And that says red flags all over it. BTW I googled the email addie and nothing showed so I googled the name and it comes up an actor. Rather sexy actor so maybe you might want to reconsider (yum LOL)

Most of the time they want to do a deal of "I will send you a check and you cash it etc so can I have your info". Ummmmm no

I had one say they were coming for a CEO meeting from out of the country and wanted to know if I could 'nanny' their children while here since I was right where they would be holding the CEO meeting of some company. I had to laugh and write back on that one. Told them that next time they want to scam someone they might want to google info on the area cause the only thing out here was cows and horses and fields! Unless they were members of their CEO meeting, don't bother me again. LMAO

I've gotten a couple like that-they are in town for a month and need care so they can work here...
Angelsj 12:53 PM 10-27-2013
Just for the record. You do NOT have to give your email address out just to reply to something from craigslist.
If you go to the email that came to you, it will have something that looks like this:
Re: Your ad name
to: 7nzjv-391476@comm.craigslist.org ( I changed these numbers, yours will vary)

You can do a "Reply to sender only", then where it shows YOUR email address, copy the part after "to:" and put that in as your address. Do that every time you speak with them until you are comfortable not doing it. Your ad will generate a "to" address that hides your personal address, and you can use it for the length of your ad.

To the OP: NEVER click on anything in an email. Never give information out that is personal in nature unless you are comfortable with the person. This may be a scam, but you would be safe in checking by using the reply through craigs list and the trick I showed you above to ask further questions.
In my personal experience, however,anyone asking for short term care is a scam.
Former Teacher 01:32 PM 10-27-2013
Originally Posted by Childminder:
Don't want to click on it if it is. Response email to a craigslist ad.

Can you care for my daughter for 4 weeks in your place? What is your total price?
just try and compose a new plain mail to me at richardchypher12@gmail.com

Regards
Dr.Richard
Please email me at richardchypher12@gmail.com
If the email doesn't have proper grammar/spelling or doesn't sound "mature" to me, I ignore it. As for yours, I would ignore it.

If they wanted care bad enough, they would contact you again.
Former Teacher 01:32 PM 10-27-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
Just for the record. You do NOT have to give your email address out just to reply to something from craigslist.
If you go to the email that came to you, it will have something that looks like this:
Re: Your ad name
to: 7nzjv-391476@comm.craigslist.org ( I changed these numbers, yours will vary)

You can do a "Reply to sender only", then where it shows YOUR email address, copy the part after "to:" and put that in as your address. Do that every time you speak with them until you are comfortable not doing it. Your ad will generate a "to" address that hides your personal address, and you can use it for the length of your ad.
VERY true!
itlw8 02:02 PM 10-27-2013
scam likely from out of the country also ignore it
renodeb 02:39 PM 10-27-2013
Yes!!!!!!!! Its a scam. I got several of those emails just last week. I just delete them.
Deb
Childminder 08:25 PM 10-27-2013
Thanks everyone, I figured it was, I just desperately need kids right now. I wondered if there was a way to respond w/o my email address so thanks for that information too.
dingledine 10:17 AM 10-28-2013
Yes, I get those all of the time. Almost exactly the same.
Reply Up