Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Having work done in your home
Josiegirl 03:27 AM 01-30-2015
Have any of you had work done in your home while running your daycare? I have no separate area for my daycare, it consumes my whole main floor. Right now, I have a guy doing work in my basement, which is okay other than the very loud noises.
But I'm discussing with him the options of having my kitchen done. He said he could come up on a weekend and rip it apart, which was super nice of him. But some of the work obviously has to be done during work time.
How does anyone handle that with kiddos running around? And my kitchen is situated between my living room and playroom so it's not like we can choose to avoid it.
Play Care 03:32 AM 01-30-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Have any of you had work done in your home while running your daycare? I have no separate area for my daycare, it consumes my whole main floor. Right now, I have a guy doing work in my basement, which is okay other than the very loud noises.
But I'm discussing with him the options of having my kitchen done. He said he could come up on a weekend and rip it apart, which was super nice of him. But some of the work obviously has to be done during work time.
How does anyone handle that with kiddos running around? And my kitchen is situated between my living room and playroom so it's not like we can choose to avoid it.
I would have to close. The only way I could be open during a major reno is if I could show that the kids would have NO access to the area being worked on.

Is there anyway you could take your vacation time - so he could come on the weekend to start and have the week to finish when the kids were not present? This is what I did when we had our screened in porch put on the back of the house.
Laurel 03:48 AM 01-30-2015
Our licensing doesn't allow any work done in the house while the children are there.

Laurel
jenboo 06:30 AM 01-30-2015
Yesterday I had the trees trimmed and our stove top replaced.
My dad has done tile during daycare hours before.
I just gate off the area being worked on so that the kids can't get into it.
permanentvacation 07:02 AM 01-30-2015
Years ago, when I had money, I had work done to my house and yard often. I just put a baby gate up to block the kids from the room the worker was in. If I couldn't put a gate up, I just made sure to keep the kids away from that room.

You said he's going to be working in the kitchen, so you need to plan ahead for the kids' food and drinks. Before he gets there, get the kids' cups filled up and taken to the room you will be in and make sandwiches for lunch so that even you won't have to get in the guy's way.

Do you typically use both the living room and playroom? If so, you will need to chose one of those rooms for the day(s) he will be working on your kitchen.
e.j. 11:02 AM 01-30-2015
When we remodeled the kitchen I moved the table into the day care room and then brought everything in from the kitchen that I thought we'd need to serve meals - toaster oven, microwave, paper plates, plastic utensils, etc. When the contractor was working on the kitchen, I used a baby gate to keep the kids out of his way. Each night, I made sandwiches or foods that could easily be reheated in the microwave so it was easy enough to get it ready when it was time to feed the kids. I tried to use as many disposable things as possible but any dirty dishes went into a tub and I washed it when everyone went home. It was a little bit of a headache at times but manageable for the few weeks it took to get the work done. Good luck!
Shell 11:29 AM 01-30-2015
I had hardwoods put in during daycare hours. I had them come by on a Saturday to do the area near the playroom, and then put gates up so no one had access and so the kids couldn't see the workers at all.
I was so nervous the kids wouldn't sleep with all the hammering, but you know, it's the best sleep the kids have ever gotten to this day! Bizarre.
KiddieCahoots 01:36 PM 01-30-2015
I had my deck torn down and replaced last summer.
I took the week off, because it was easier than what my licensor advised, which was.....
I could not allow the children to have access to the back yard while workers were present and working, could not allow children access to any of the building materials (I would've had to put one of those orange "caution, under construction" warning fences around the building materials, the workers would've cursed me for that), and the work/construction could not interfere with my emergency exit (still had to have 2 emergency exits available).
Reply Up