Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Else Found Themselves in the Same Situation?
Christian Mother 07:41 PM 05-01-2011
One of my DCB's shut his little pinkie finger in the closet door. It's a walking closet and I keep all the toys in there. I am having a really hard time keeping the kids from opening and closing the doors. They are all boys and around the age of 2 and 2 1/2. I know this is the age where its fun opening and closing...or slamming. It's driving me nutz. Each of them have shut there fingers in it or play with the doors. When will they learn??? So little guy has a little scrap in the inside of his finger and it isn't bleeding. He cried for a short time and then I made a huge todo about loving on him and washing with water and soap. He did sooo well and stopped crying right away. I wanted to put his finger on one of those boo boo buddies and put a bandaid but he didn't want either...until one of the other little guys came late bc he got burned by a flat iron at his home. So when they dropped him off...and after we played out side I cleaned and changed his bandage and put another one on and the other little boy decided that then he also wanted a bandaid on it. I was happy to do so and he was fine the rest of the day. I wrote on his daily report his accident as I would do with any minor or major accident and then also told the DCD at pick up what happened. He seemed in a hurry to go and seemed fine. Then today he called wanting specifics of what happened bc DCB has been complaining about it all weekend that it hurts and is is swollen. I asked them if they have taken him to the doctor bc if he is complaining of it hurting that much then its best to take him to Urgent Care. I haven't had any complaining or swelling on my end in fact he was moving it just fine while playing. He favored it for that first hr or so but he was eating lunch and didn't complain then either. I have noticed however that DCB is very diff. around his parents,...pron to tantrums, bad behavior, he wants what he wants and wants it right away. He isn't the same in my care at all. So, DCD said he will be taking his son to the doctor after daycare on mond. I've never had anything thing series happen in my care like broken bones, fingers...at the most busted lips bc they run and topple over or the fingers getting shut in doors. But nothing series. I have home owner ins. coverage for my daycare that covers accidents but I've never had to file a claim. Has anyone ever had a parent want to file a claim for injuries that happened at your daycare? I am praying it isn't something series,...I feel awful but I can't help worrying anyway..you know?!!
Kaddidle Care 07:50 PM 05-01-2011
I've never had to file a claim and if the child's parents have medical coverage I'm sure it will be fine. They aren't very concerned if they are waiting until tomorrow afternoon to get him checked out.

For safety's sake, do install a dead bolt on that door - up high where the children can't reach it.
Michelle 08:06 PM 05-01-2011
I have these french doors that the kids love to open and close all the time so I had always put a small blanket over the top of the door so it won't close on them. But my little angels found a way to shake the door enough to get the blanket down so I found these cool door stoppers at babies R us.
They are shaped like a horse shoe and made of very thick foam and the kids can not budge them!!!
They are awesome and they cost $4 for a pack of 2.
Hope your little guy feels better and just remember to always be one step ahead of them!
Christian Mother 08:33 PM 05-01-2011
You know, I was in the play room with them. The closet is where all the toys are located but lately they like to play with the flashlights in there and shut them selves in the dark. Don't understand why they like beginning in the dark but the flash lights they are loving. I don't want to completely close off the play room to them so maybe a door stopper would be good? Like one of those wedges? I will have to go out and find 2 of them bc those are the only 2 doors they can get a hold of. Do you think Home Depot or even Low's would have something like that or would Walmart or target have them? What do you think??
cheerfuldom 05:10 AM 05-02-2011
Would it be possible to take the door off completely and just use a curtain for now? I have the same issue here with one little girl in particular. She is obsessed with opening and closing doors and will sit there and do it for hours. Anyway, hopefully this doctor will see past the drama and assure the parents that this little one is fine. It will be better if they get it checked out and hear from a professional that nothing is wrong.
DCMom 05:28 AM 05-02-2011
I have the same problem with my bathroom door. I folded a big, thick bath towel into quarters and threw it over the top of the door. It closes enough for privacy but not all the way. In your case, enough for flashlight fun but not closed enough for fingers to get pinched.
Lilbutterflie 07:23 AM 05-02-2011
Originally Posted by DCMom:
I have the same problem with my bathroom door. I folded a big, thick bath towel into quarters and threw it over the top of the door. It closes enough for privacy but not all the way. In your case, enough for flashlight fun but not closed enough for fingers to get pinched.
I think this is a wonderful and cheap solution!
Michelle 08:47 AM 05-02-2011
Originally Posted by Christian Mother:
You know, I was in the play room with them. The closet is where all the toys are located but lately they like to play with the flashlights in there and shut them selves in the dark. Don't understand why they like beginning in the dark but the flash lights they are loving. I don't want to completely close off the play room to them so maybe a door stopper would be good? Like one of those wedges? I will have to go out and find 2 of them bc those are the only 2 doors they can get a hold of. Do you think Home Depot or even Low's would have something like that or would Walmart or target have them? What do you think??
I don't know if Home depot would have them but Target might.
I would suggest you use the blanket or towel idea starting today and show the parents how you will prevent another accident from happening in the future.
This is really important!!! you might have to keep putting it back up there but it's worth it until you get a door stopper.
Christian Mother 08:54 AM 05-02-2011
What I ended up doing is making wedges...well my husband did and they worked beautifully!! The kids can't budge the doors at all!! Yea!! It is kind of tricky to take them out but putting them back in isn't hard. It solved my problem. But they won't be able to play in the dark but they can always walk around w/the flashlights. I tried using the towels but the like stinkers had no problem pulling it out. I am going to get those door handle safely guards that just turn round and round...it is help so that they don't open the bathroom door. They don't mess with that door at all. Not sure why. But thank you guys for all your help!! Little guy came in today and his little pinkie is bruised at the bottom but he is able to move it and bend it. But it still hurts. Poor little guy!! They are going to take him after daycare today to see the doctor which will help ease worry.
Tags:injure, injury report
Reply Up