Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Finally getting my license and food program
melilley 06:36 AM 01-17-2013
Ok to start, Friday I sent in my final paperwork to obtain my license to open my home daycare. Yesterday I received not 1, not 2, but 3 calls from 3 different sponsors for the food program before 10am and I haven't even gotten my license yet! Well come to find out, I am registered with the state, but my official paper license hasn't arrived. What a pleasant surprise! Wooohoooo! After months and months of preparing, I can finally open! I am nervous as heck!...lol

Well back to the food program sponsors-I felt like a person walking into some store where the employees receive commission for a sale. I talked to one woman and made an appointment. Then another called and I told her that I had an appointment and she said "well we are local, you could just drive down the street to the office if needed" (the other sponsors' office is like 45 min. away) so I said I would call the other woman back and cancel. So I did that and that woman sounded a little irritated and asked why. I told her there was a local sponsor. She then she says well did I tell you about the benefits of joining under us and proceeds to tell me the benefits and then tells me that once you sign up with one sponsor, others aren't supposed to solicit you and that it doesn't matter if they are local, that I could contact them by phone and don't need to go to an office. So I ended up keeping my appointment with the original sponsor. Then the 3rd woman called....

What is in it for the sponsors? I thought the food program was a federal program and it was to aid in making sure children get balanced meals and snacks. I didn't know that sponsors would be so aggressive in trying to get you to sign up with them.
jessrlee 06:41 AM 01-17-2013
They have to keep a certain number of providers on to qualify for online billing and certain trainings. Plus more kids equals more grant money.
Blackcat31 06:42 AM 01-17-2013

Good for you!

As far as the food program goes, I am sure each sponsoring agency is rewarded some how for having people go through them.

I don't have a clue how it works but we have a few different options here too and although they aren't pushy about it, they do try and sell themselves over the other agencies.
Meeko 06:46 AM 01-17-2013
Maybe do some research on the sponsors around you. I have been with the same one for 17 years now. They are superb, but quite a few others have come and gone because they can't keep themselves straight, fail audits, don't pay providers on time, lose paperwork etc.

Evidently, almost anyone can open up shop as a sponsor, but that doesn't mean they should.

Call some of your local providers and ask who they use and whether they are happy.

I have two programs very close to me that are completely useless. Mine is located 40 miles away, but they are great.
itlw8 07:26 AM 01-17-2013
It is true once you SIgn the paperwork the others are not supposed to recruit you. What is in it for them... income. they do get paid for their work. They have to have clients to stay in business.

Yes do research before signing. The program is the same ( in your state) but some sponsors have better training, online claiming,

Do you know any other providers? call and talk to them about the sponsor and their food rep.
allsmiles 08:38 AM 01-17-2013
ohhh yess!!! i was called by a few after i was registered.. i think some of them look daily to see if someone gets their license.. but i had already signed on with an agency BEFORE I EVEN had my license.. i was simply calling to get info ABOUT the program..and they offered to come out and sign me up on the spot. i told them i didnt even have my inspection yet? she said thats okay and was out the next two days..

im happy with them tho, because they do have alot of online training available and they dont bother me much..yet LOL
Reply Up