Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bereavement Time
Unregistered 06:51 AM 05-15-2015
hello!

In the process of changing my contract - thoughts on adding bereavement time. (unpaid) When I have had to take time off before I have used part of my unpaid vaca time. I feel that I only have 2 weeks vaca a year, that I shouldn't have to use my personal time for loss. Thoughts on this or if anyone does this.

Thanks!!
NightOwl 08:13 AM 05-15-2015
I don't think I would add bereavement time to my contact. If something happens and I need time off to recover from grief, I would use my vacation time for that. If it's an extended amount of time, I would expect my enrollment to basically vanish and I would have to start over when I was ready.
permanentvacation 08:19 AM 05-15-2015
Here's how I worded my days off. It actually allows me to close whenever needed and parents don't fuss about it at all.

'The following are the expected pre-scheduled days that daycare will be closed for the year of 2015. These are to be paid holidays. I am also due 5 days of paid vacation and 5 days of paid sick days per calendar year. I will give you as much notice as possible for any other days that I close.'

Then I list the holidays that I plan to close for the year. I take 14 holidays, my birthday, both of my daughters' birthdays, and National Childcare Provider Appreciation Day as paid 'holidays' as well.

By stating that I will give as much notice as possible for any other days I close, it leaves it open for me to take as many days I want/need for whatever reason. I make sure to let them know that typically, for doctor/dentist appointments and other things I have my substitute work for me so I don't have to close, but if something comes up that I have to close for, such as a death in the family, my daughter's graduation ceremony, etc. I have to be able to take off work if needed. I tell people that I typically don't close randomly, but you never know what might come up. I've never had any parents fuss about it when I say that and show them this portion of my contract.

I've used the 'other days' that I give as much notice for for variety of things; meetings, appointments, going to the ocean for my daughter's sand soccer tournament, my father's funeral, etc. Each time, I've just announced that something has come up that I have to close for (typically I tell my parents what I plan to take the time off for) and tell them the days that I will be closed for that event. No one has ever had a problem with it. But I don't overuse that privilege either. I am mindful of the amount of time I close and make sure not to do so too often. I really do use my substitute as much as I can. I only close when I don't want to take a chance on my sub being sick that day which would make me not be able to attend that event. If I would rather take a chance on losing every child I have than miss that event, then I close. But so far, no one has ever complained about me closing.
Annalee 08:57 AM 05-15-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
hello!

In the process of changing my contract - thoughts on adding bereavement time. (unpaid) When I have had to take time off before I have used part of my unpaid vaca time. I feel that I only have 2 weeks vaca a year, that I shouldn't have to use my personal time for loss. Thoughts on this or if anyone does this.

Thanks!!
I have unlimited emergency days....In my contract, I have ms.xxxx will close for all emergencies i.e. weather-related (no electricity or water), serious sickness or death in family! I get paid 52 weeks a year. Btw, this is not counted in my personal/vacation/proffessional days/holiday time. I was off 7 days when my dad died and got paid.....was a hassle from a couple parents but I GOT PAID! As I stated on another post, I sound mean sometimes but there is NO better teacher than the school of hard knocks! I have been in FCC since 1992 so I have learned alot.
rosieteddy 09:18 AM 05-15-2015
Ialso got paid for 3 days bearevement family members.I would take extra paid personal days if absolutely needed.I to was paid 52 weeks a year.
Annalee 09:25 AM 05-15-2015
When it comes to days off, I am sure clients see their side of the issue, BUT, in the end, they have to decide is that really worth leaving over. After all, just like other providers, I feel I, not only keep kids safe, I nurture/teach/etc. every day. The quality of care a child receives is priceless. If a client wants our services, they will make it work, if not, they were looking to leave anyway!
childcaremom 09:33 AM 05-15-2015
I have in my contract that I will take a minimum of 2 weeks unpaid vacation.

That way, if I do need extra time off, I can take it. I don't have a section for Bereavement specifically, but would take what I need.
Blackcat31 10:06 AM 05-15-2015
I am a self-employed business owner. Meaning I get to decide how many planned days off and unplanned days off I will have/take.

I don't abuse it and don't take more days than I think parents can manage but I take whatever days off I want, when I want. The only "promise" I make about it is that I will give as much notice as I am able to give.
Annalee 10:11 AM 05-15-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am a self-employed business owner. Meaning I get to decide how many planned days off and unplanned days off I will have/take.

I don't abuse it and don't take more days than I think parents can manage but I take whatever days off I want, when I want. The only "promise" I make about it is that I will give as much notice as I am able to give.
Same here! The reason I took 7 days with my dad is because part of that was our last days at the hospital. I do not do that for all funerals. Dad's issue come without notice and was very traumatic for my entire family. Dad was only 56....we knew he had pulmonary fibrosis but it took a fast moving spell....not even the doctors saw it coming that fast! So when those 2 parents took it upon themselves to call other parents and try to get them NOT TO PAY, you can imagine how upset I was as I was full of all kinds of emotion
kendallina 11:29 AM 05-15-2015

This. I say in my handbook that I may have to close for emergency and it's unpaid and I'll let them know about it as soon as I know. I wouldn't tie myself in to only taking a few days and I wouldn't roll it into my vacation days either.

My mom died unexpectedly this year, I spent a few days at the hospital with her before she died and several days off after she died. It was a stressful enough situation, if I had to worry about only being able to take a few days, it would have been horrible. I took a total of 7 days off (unpaid). No one seemed to mind, they made meals for me, gave me a group gift card to a landscaping place, etc (my parents this year are awesome, I'm very lucky!). Teach them that you're a human being like anyone else and that you may need more time off if something major happens.

ETA: I don't take excessive time off. My husband and I have had 4 funerals just in the last year (my stepmom, my mom, his grandmother, his cousin) and I've only taken time off for my stepmom (one day) and my mom (7 days). There are times when I cannot go to funerals as all of our family lives hours away and I'd have to take a minumum of 2 days every time. So I am careful about not being 'greedy' with time off.
kendallina 11:31 AM 05-15-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Same here! The reason I took 7 days with my dad is because part of that was our last days at the hospital. I do not do that for all funerals. Dad's issue come without notice and was very traumatic for my entire family. Dad was only 56....we knew he had pulmonary fibrosis but it took a fast moving spell....not even the doctors saw it coming that fast! So when those 2 parents took it upon themselves to call other parents and try to get them NOT TO PAY, you can imagine how upset I was as I was full of all kinds of emotion
The bolded part. Awful. Sorry about your dad.
Unregistered 03:25 PM 03-25-2018
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I have unlimited emergency days....In my contract, I have ms.xxxx will close for all emergencies i.e. weather-related (no electricity or water), serious sickness or death in family! I get paid 52 weeks a year. Btw, this is not counted in my personal/vacation/proffessional days/holiday time. I was off 7 days when my dad died and got paid.....was a hassle from a couple parents but I GOT PAID! As I stated on another post, I sound mean sometimes but there is NO better teacher than the school of hard knocks! I have been in FCC since 1992 so I have learned alot.
Wow, your daycare sounds miserable!
amberrose3dg 03:56 AM 03-26-2018
Originally Posted by kendallina:
The bolded part. Awful. Sorry about your dad.
Sorry for your dad! People really suck don't they.
AmyKidsCo 01:11 PM 03-26-2018
My policy is "If a death occurs in the provider's immediate family, (spouse, parent, sibling, child, father/mother-in-law, brother/sister-in-law, son/daughter-in-law, or grandchild) the center may be close up to three paid days off to attend the funeral or make funeral arrangements. These days will be in addition to regular “Provider Time Off” days."
lovemykidstoo 11:25 AM 03-30-2018

Same here. I don't give them a number, but we do take as a family the same 4th of July week every year to go north with extended family. I try to give as many days off that I know of for the year in January so they can plan their work schedule around mine. I do say also though that I will be taking other days here and there or if something comes up, but I will give as much notice as possible. Never had a problem in 17 years.
Tags:bereavement time, unpaid days
Reply Up