Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Determining If A Daycare Is Providing Quality Care??
Lisa S. 05:05 PM 06-16-2009
I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find an assessment tool that daycares use to determine the level of care they are providing and if it is quality care? Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
mac60 05:17 PM 06-16-2009
I don't know of such a place nor have I ever heard of one.
I would think that "quality of care" depends on what each individual family is looking for in a provider/childcare place. Sorry, not much help.
mac60 05:22 PM 06-16-2009
I found this link: http://aspe.hhs.gov/hsp/ccquality-ind02/

Although it tends to focus on the technical part of it, and not the part to me that is so much more important, the actual day of the child. Activities, curriculum, care, etc.
Unregistered 08:16 PM 06-16-2009
Several different states have a Star Quality Rating Scale. Il has one, the amount of stars you have affects the amount you get paid by the state for caring for children from families receiving state assistance. I think Kentucky has one also.
They have very high (ridiculously) standards, way above and beyond what DCFS expects. But if you can get ahold of one of the books, it's a useful tool to see where some improvements could be made. Il's is a 1-7 scale, and to get a 7 you would probably have to walk on water and be rolling in the dough (home childcare).
There is a program section and also a business section.
I actually have someone coming out next week to observe my, uh, program using the scale, just for my own personal information. I wish I had a website... maybe the Illinois Childcare Resource and Referral website might have more info.
It's a pretty tough assessment tool but sometimes it's helpful to turn a magnifying glass on yourself. Of course, I will probably be crushed, but oh well.
Chickenhauler 10:17 PM 06-16-2009
Best assessment I have ever seen is the happiness of the child-if the kid dreads going to daycare, something's wrong.

If the kid is having fun at daycare, enjoying interacting with the other kids, and in general is happy and safe there, the care giver is doing a good job.
Tags:rating - daycare
Reply Up