Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>A Few Things That Are Bothering Me...
tfonz10 03:27 PM 06-16-2012
I have a 3 year old and 4 month and they started in daycare about 6 weeks ago. This is the first time the older child has really been in daycare so this is all new to me. There are some things that are bothering me about our provider. I will go ahead and list them in no particular order. I would really love some feedback.

1. I used their restroom the again the other day and its absolutely disgusting and unsanitary. I figured the first time maybe it just got overlooked and gave them the benefit of the doubt. This time it does not look like its been cleaned in months! I find it also disturbing that the soap is pretty much water and I do not trust the hand towel in there is clean. Is this something that I can complain about, don't they have sanitation standards?

2. The baby has never had diaper rash until he started going there and it really makes me wonder how attentive they are being to him. I also question if they are telling the truth on his report on how often they are changing him.

3. Not only are they serving afternoon snack at 4:30 or after but they often serve cookies. Really, cookies as snack and right before dinner time?
Countrygal 06:19 AM 06-17-2012
The first thing I see is that the things you mention would never pass an inspection, so I am going to assume your daycare is not certified or licensed. All of the things you mention are not allowed under certification or licensing standards.

My suggestion to you is that they might not be registered for a reason - if it were me, I'd seek other daycare. But that is just me. It is very hard to find an opening in a good, clean daycare with an appropriate program. You may want to search around and get on a waiting list of one you find that you are really impressed with.

To do this, if it were me, I'd make a list of all the things that were the most important to me - cleanliness, other children and ages, activities and programs, outside play area (I once looked into one that spent almost no time outside). I'd observe different ones if at all possible, and then get on the list for the one that I liked who, for example, had one or two moving on to kindergarten in the fall.

That's just what I'd do. Even if you talked to the provider and they agreed to change some things, it probably wouldn't last and they'd go right back to the old habits, IMO. I know I would if I didn't have the cert. board hanging over my head.... jk
tfonz10 05:25 PM 06-17-2012
They are licensed, I did call and check the complaints against them. There was only one complaint in 6 years and for something minor. Maybe I should call them again? I mentioned this to another provider and she said that nothing they are doing is a violation which really surprises me. We are on a couple waiting lists and prefer not put the kids in center. Now I am wondering if a center would have been better temporarily.
cheerfuldom 06:18 PM 06-17-2012
do you feel comfortable approaching about the daycare restroom issue? I know sometimes it is hard to risk "rocking the boat" when you dont have another option ready as far as a place that will accept both children.

the diaper rash issue is not a huge red flag to me. I say this because I have several kids that struggled with diaper rash and it seemed to be worse at my house and I have no idea why that is. I actually changed more than they were changed at home....has baby had any changes recently with food or formula? are they using the same wipes and diapers that you use? can you send cream and just have them use that at every change to help deal with the rash on a preventative basis? also, if you send a diaper bag each day, can you count the diapers and compare with the daily sheet and see if it matches up?

as for the snack, that does seem really late and no, I dont believe that cookies on a daily basis is a good option. still, for me, that is not something that I would leave a daycare over. I would assume that if you were to complain, they would not change the whole daily schedule for just your child or just your preferences.

Daycare is a learning experience. Now that you are into the journey, you know for sure that a clean/tidy place is important to you and that a healthy snack is also important. make sure you check what your other daycare options would do. There are going to be things at every place that just dont seem quite right to you or arent up to your standards. unfortunately, that is the nature of having someone else care for your child. you just have to weigh if these things are worth changing to a new daycare over. If you leave, there is nothing wrong with sending in a complaint and letting the licensing authorities decide what is and is not in regulations. maybe a late cookie snack is okay with them.....
Countrygal 06:35 PM 06-17-2012
Originally Posted by tfonz10:
They are licensed, I did call and check the complaints against them. There was only one complaint in 6 years and for something minor. Maybe I should call them again? I mentioned this to another provider and she said that nothing they are doing is a violation which really surprises me. We are on a couple waiting lists and prefer not put the kids in center. Now I am wondering if a center would have been better temporarily.
Well, I guess I'll have to let someone else address that, if I'm wrong, but we are required to use separate towels for each child every time they dry their hands as far as I know. We're supposed to use paper towels, but we can use regular ones as long as we use a different one each time and with each child. (I use washcloths - an idea I got on here ) It is definitely out of regs in my state, at least to use a community towel.

I am only allowed to serve cookies twice a week, as per the food program. However, if she is not claiming that snack, she can pretty much serve whatever she wants.

As for the diaper rash, perhaps it is an ointment or powder they use?? Just a thought.
Hunni Bee 07:55 PM 06-17-2012
The dirty bathroom is something I would surely have an issue with. When an adult has to use a nasty restroom, they are uber-careful not to touch anything, sit on the toilet seat, etc. A young child has no concept of this yet. There are so many gross things that children learning to toilet themselves do in the bathroom, and to not clean it AT LEAST daily is disgusting. Please bring this issue up.

The cookies in the evening - no. If the children ate lunch at 11:30/12 and aren't eating snack til 4:30, they must be starved. Cookies are not an appropriate snack on a regular basis. If the center is licensed, I'm pretty sure their snack is required to hit two of the four food groups - and cookies are not a "grain".

I don't work at the best center in the world, but we do make sure the kids have good food to eat, decent toys and activities to do, a clean environment and have their needs met. You are right to be concerned.

ETA: A single community cloth towel in daycare CENTER restroom is horrifying. That's like a community towel in the bus station bathroom.
jokalima 09:38 AM 06-18-2012
My bathroom is very clean at least the one I use for the kids and even with that I hate to see a child touching the toilet seat even by mistake It just drives me crazy because I know there are germs in there, so for me to even think of a child using a dirty bathroom, that just makes me sick.

I think that taking care of children is more about common sense, I mean it does not matter if is on regulations or not but someone should know that using one towel for all kids and probably everyone that visits and lives in the house is just not sanitary. While you figure out what you are going to do maybe you want to bring you own towels and let the provider know that you wish for your kids to use those ones to dry their hands, I know a lot of providers would not agree with this but hey, i have a almost 2 year old and I am just thinking like a mom.

About the cookies, well every day is not OK but I don't see anything wrong with it, I do think that the time is to late. Do you know if they let them sleep till this late and that is the reason for a late snack? IDK I am just curious.
SilverSabre25 09:52 AM 06-18-2012
Here's an interesting theory regarding the lateness of the snack and composition of the snack...are the daycare owners French, by any chance?

In France, children get one snack a day and it's at 4:30. They often have things that we in America would consider unhealthy, but in France it's normal. A chocolate sandwich, for example, or cake or other similar foods. Dinner in France isn't usually until 7:30 or 8 PM so this is a good snack time for them.

It's probably way off, but just a thought.
MarinaVanessa 09:59 AM 06-18-2012
Standards are different from State to State and vary depending on whether it's a daycare center or family childcare home. Which is your daycare? Is it a center or is it a licensed daycare home?

If it was a daycare home then even though I could see the bathroom being an issue I'm not sure that in my State it would be enough to give a violation over. Here we aren't required to use seperate towels for each child either (I do it because of hygeine but not because I'm required to).

As far as the food goes I'd check to see if they participate in the food program. If they do then I'd check to see if their meal schedule is within the programs guidelines. There's a minimum and maximum amount of time that has to pass between meals so check to see if they are following the guidelines.

For me here in CA the food program only counts cookies as a snack twice out of the week but that doesn't translate to me only being able to give them cookies twice a week. I can give them cookies every day of the week but I can only count those twice. Also if I follow the food prgram guidelines I can claim all of the meals and still give them whatever I wanted after that. Does that make sense? In other words as long as I follow the guidelines and give them the required minimums, I can give them anything else I want on top of that.

So let's say that for snack I have to give 2 out of 4 groups in order to claim the snack so I serve carrots and yogurt. I can still give them cookies in addition to the carrots and yogurt if I want, KWIM?

All in all, if you aren't happy with your childcare arrangements you should discuss these with your childcare provider. If you aren't satisfied with those results then it's probably time to go elsewhere. Good luck.
abcdaycaremom 07:55 AM 07-23-2012
As a parent and licensed daycare provider it's very simple and really can not believe you are even asking. If the bathroom is a mess then leave. This person is not taking into consideration the safety of themselves or the children. Any daycare should be using a pump soap and paper towels. Snacks should be healthily most of the time but cookies are ok once in a while if you feel the time doesn't work for you then you should have checked it out prior to enrolling your child. Children should eat at least every 3 to 4 hours. Yes they nap but a schedule in advance should be set up that is approved by the licensing state or county. If you feel the food is to unhealthy for you then provide your own.
nanglgrl 08:43 AM 07-23-2012
Originally Posted by tfonz10:
I have a 3 year old and 4 month and they started in daycare about 6 weeks ago. This is the first time the older child has really been in daycare so this is all new to me. I may be way off base but it seems that this is the first time your children have been in daycare. In my experience parents of first timers have no idea what to expect an can be a little over critical of things. There are some things that are bothering me about our provider. I will go ahead and list them in no particular order. I would really love some feedback.

1. I used their restroom the again the other day and its absolutely disgusting and unsanitary. I figured the first time maybe it just got overlooked and gave them the benefit of the doubt. This time it does not look like its been cleaned in months! I find it also disturbing that the soap is pretty much water and I do not trust the hand towel in there is clean. Is this something that I can complain about, don't they have sanitation standards?
Why did the bathroom look unclean? I'm a picky person and notice details so what I think is messy a lot of other people think is spotless. Are you being overly critical of a bathroom that is used by probably around six one to six year olds all day, every day? As far as the hand towel are you even sure it is used by the children? I help my children wash their hands and they use paper towels but I use a hand towel, maybe this is what your provider does?

2. The baby has never had diaper rash until he started going there and it really makes me wonder how attentive they are being to him. I also question if they are telling the truth on his report on how often they are changing him.A diaper rash could be caused by so many things and don't need to point towards neglect of your infant. You should talk to your provider about it, you may be surprised at the culprit.

3. Not only are they serving afternoon snack at 4:30 or after but they often serve cookies. Really, cookies as snack and right before dinner time?
Did your provider give you a daily schedule when you enrolled? Did you know at enrollment that snack was at 4:30? Does the provider have schoolagers that get to her house around that time? I live in a small town, not far from the school and my schoolagers get off the bus at 4:15. We have snack when they arrive and the food program does not have a problem with it, in fact most of the providers I know have snack around 4:00 pm. Is your provider serving the same type of cookies every day? Are they actually cookies? If they are animal cookies one day, vanilla wafers one day, cheese crackers the next, saltines..etc...food program considers that these all meet the meal component and as long as they are served juice/milk (or something from another food group) with the "cookie" your provider is doing exactly what the food program asks. If your provider is always serving cookies like chocolate chip etc. maybe she does not use the food program for that snack. We are only allowed 2 meals and 1 snack a day. I know a lot of providers that only do one snack a day because that is all they get paid for and food program has no problem with that.

You should really talk to your provider. I see all of the things here and think that you might be being overly critical. I mean no offense. I've seen it time after time over 10 years with parents who have never used daycare and I was that parent once. For me it was the guilt of being away from my child that caused me to look at every little thing and obsess about how the provider didn't do it right. If these are the only problems you have with this provider I would advise that you take off the mommy goggles for a second and then talk to your provider about the things you still see as a problem.
Tags:clean bathrooms, cookies for snack, daycare concerns, healthy snacks, paper towels, unsanitary bathroom
Reply Up