Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Phone, Address?
MissAnn 05:12 AM 04-21-2014
Do you teach this with the kids and what age? I do both but it's really hard some times especially with the cell phones from a different area code. Also....many kids don't have home phones. Every cell phone is different and hard to find they key pad to dial. How would you address this? I think it's important for them to know their phone number but also how to dial it in case they are in a situation they need to do that.
Cradle2crayons 05:18 AM 04-21-2014
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Do you teach this with the kids and what age? I do both but it's really hard some times especially with the cell phones from a different area code. Also....many kids don't have home phones. Every cell phone is different and hard to find they key pad to dial. How would you address this? I think it's important for them to know their phone number but also how to dial it in case they are in a situation they need to do that.
I encourage parents to do this... I hand out a safety sheet related to things like this a few times a year...
Sunchimes 05:36 AM 04-21-2014
I taught my dcg when she turned 3. The only problem is that she can never remember the first number. If we say 4 or 7 then she can rattle off the rest (even city and state) with no problem. It's a work in progress.
Blackcat31 12:38 PM 04-21-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I encourage parents to do this... I hand out a safety sheet related to things like this a few times a year...
I also encourage my DCP's to do this. I used to do it through out the year but since the induction of cell phones, I had too many kids saying their mom's phone number was #2 on the key pad, I realized this was now out of my hands.

We do talk about safety and calling 911 and such but nothing more than that.

I used to do the address thing too but during the course of a year, I had a family move 4 different times.

Now, if a kid is interested or asks, I'll help but I don't initiate this anymore.

I am too confused by all the info so I can't imagine how a kid feels.
SignMeUp 01:39 PM 04-21-2014
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I taught my dcg when she turned 3. The only problem is that she can never remember the first number. If we say 4 or 7 then she can rattle off the rest (even city and state) with no problem. It's a work in progress.
Try moving to a non-verbal cue. It worked for some of mine. After she's used to thinking that hard, then change up the non-verbal. For instance, if you showed four fingers as the cue, hold up one hand and put up one-two-however many, while looking at the fingers confusedly

Mine always learned to rise to the challenge, if the challenge was the proper size for them
misslori50 08:05 AM 04-24-2014
I dont think its our responsibility to do this
craftymissbeth 09:07 AM 04-24-2014
I dont think I'd be able to do it, tbh. But when I taught ds I made up songs with our address/phone number in them and he caught on very quickly. Our address at the time was "5-3-1 S Eisenhower" (not the real address but has the same syllables) sang to Wheels on the Bus and his dad's cell number (because he was more likely to answer) was just said in a catchy way... 5-5-5-55-55 separating the numbers in a way he'd remember easier.
jenn 09:12 AM 04-24-2014
I think that is an at home job. I work with them on 911. At the beginning of tornado season/tornado practices, I send a note home reminding parents that it is important to have emergency plans and that their child needs to know some basic information like last name and phone number.
Reply Up