Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Talkative Toddler Just Won't Stop
therov 06:00 AM 09-04-2014
I have a precocious toddler in care who is very talkative. Everything gets repeated numerous times, everything is narrated/commented on/noted/stated... everything. I understand that repetition and practice are the mantras at this age, but this kid goes waaaaaay past where I've seen other kids. (This is also an only child, so I have a feeling that the child repeats repeats until acknowledgement because the parents latch onto every word.)

So there are two problems with this situation: I have four kids total, so it becomes a time/attention issue for me if I'm constantly having to validate every remark from this child. Also, one child in care has been seeing a speech therapist because he doesn't talk much for his age, so I'm concerned that the talkative kid takes up so much airtime that it may discourage the other child from speaking.

What to do? Letting it take its course is driving me close to crazy, so the status quo is not an option. The parents of the talkative one beam their pride at the sentences and vocabulary used, so I don't know how to approach this issue in a positive manner that won't make it sound like I'm stifling the natural progression of toddler behavior. Any tips or ideas are welcome.
KiddieCahoots 06:06 AM 09-04-2014
My son does not shut up! And I mean that in a loving way

The only thing that distracts my son from chattering to me, is another ear to chatter to.

Is there a child you can pair this child with to develop a chat and play buddy?
Blackcat31 06:20 AM 09-04-2014
Originally Posted by therov:
I have a precocious toddler in care who is very talkative. Everything gets repeated numerous times, everything is narrated/commented on/noted/stated... everything. I understand that repetition and practice are the mantras at this age, but this kid goes waaaaaay past where I've seen other kids. (This is also an only child, so I have a feeling that the child repeats repeats until acknowledgement because the parents latch onto every word.)

So there are two problems with this situation: I have four kids total, so it becomes a time/attention issue for me if I'm constantly having to validate every remark from this child. Also, one child in care has been seeing a speech therapist because he doesn't talk much for his age, so I'm concerned that the talkative kid takes up so much airtime that it may discourage the other child from speaking.

What to do? Letting it take its course is driving me close to crazy, so the status quo is not an option. The parents of the talkative one beam their pride at the sentences and vocabulary used, so I don't know how to approach this issue in a positive manner that won't make it sound like I'm stifling the natural progression of toddler behavior. Any tips or ideas are welcome.
Cool ! that he can talk so freely and so well mom/dad! Perhaps it is now time to move onto the next lesson; taking turns so you aren't the only one monopolizing the conversation.

That is where I would start. I would maybe try and do some sort of circle discussion and have the kids all practice being the speaker and the listener.

Have a talking stick (or anything to represent who's turn it is) and ONLY the person holding the talking stick gets to talk. The others have to listen.

Take small short turns modeling this and guiding the others as they progress through their turn talking and listening.

Continue adding visual and verbal cues into your day about when it's time for him to stop talking and when it's time for him to listen.

I know he is a toddler but if he is verbal then the next logical step would be comprehending the language he is using and part of that comprehension is proper conversation skills

Maybe even do some Googling and give mom and dad some handouts on things/exercises they can do at home too that will help their child grasp this new skill.
Indoorvoice 08:32 AM 09-04-2014
I was going to say what BC said! I have dcb who sounds similar. When his mom and I are talking, he always interrupts and she stops our conversation to acknowledge him! We started practicing how to wait turns in circle time and throughout the day and it is really helping. Good luck!
Laurel 12:27 PM 09-04-2014
I've never tried it but once I heard a tip that sounded good. Get one of those kiddie tape recorders. Do they even sell them anymore? Mine had a microphone and it could also play those little musical tapes. Let the child use it when everyone is tired of hearing him talk. "Ok Billy, it is time for you to use the tape recorder now." I always wondered if when they played it back they wanted to hear themselves talk that much!

Another suggestion I've heard is to draw a big picture of an ear and tape it up. When he talks too much or wants you to repeat too much tell it is time to go "Tell it to the ear."

Laurel
Rockgirl 12:39 PM 09-04-2014
I have a 22-month old who is relentless!! She doesn't even give me a chance to answer before she repeats herself. An example: she notices I'm setting up the easel....."I painting? I painting?I painting?I painting?I painting?I painting?I painting?I painting?I painting?I painting?I painting?I painting?" Even if I interrupt her to answer, she goes right back to it!
therov 01:18 PM 09-04-2014
Thanks for the feedback so far. My situation is closer to when_is_naptime's. The toddler actually does well in the circle and directed activities, generally heeds taking turns, listens to a story, etc. My issue is more the constant narration all.day.long. For instance, I recorded the following phrases in five minutes outside:

"I do it." (5x)
"I climb to slide." (4x)
"I slide." (3x)
"I did it!" (5x)
"Sandbox open!" (3x)
"Put sand inside." (5x)
"[Child] has my toy." (6x)
"[Child] gave me toy." (3x)
"Time to close sandbox." (8x)
"I go to get drink." (4x)

Truly, just five minutes. So multiply this chatter across 7.5 hours that the child is awake in my 9.5 hour day, and you can see the reason for my plea for ideas. It's nonstop. And I don't know how this may impact my speech-challenged kid since the talkative one was already in care when the speech-challenged one started.
Go play! 01:28 PM 09-04-2014
I have one that is a lot like this and I have been stopping him after the first repeat and saying "Stop talking to me and go play with your friends!" and walking away. I realized it is attention seeking and he has a captive audience. My ears would be ringing by the end of the day. After a couple of weeks the repeating has decreased a lot and he is playing a lot more with the other kids.
Tags:speech, talking, toddler
Reply Up