Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Lost My Vacation Day :(
PitterPatter 07:10 PM 12-30-2011
I offered a client daycare on Monday even though she is off because I thought I had at least 2 other kids coming. She accepted and was gratful to have a day to herself because shes under a lot of stress. Then I tell the other client at her pick up "see ya Monday" Oh no she says we wont be here I have it off sorry I forgot to tell ya I managed to get it off after all. Now I have to open for 1 child because that client needs a break and is wonderful to me so I can't back out.

It totally ticks me off when clients don't keep me informed of their schedules! I told her sarcastically " Well thanks for telling me" She replies smartly "well soooorrrYYY at least I told you before Monday" I thought ok Mz thing we will see how you like it when I "forget" to remind you of my next scheduled closing day!

Lord forgive me for my spite but it's the only way some people learn!

Soooo I hope everyone else enjoys a 3 day weekend if you have it off. I hope you have your clients proper schedules. Happy New year!
Christian Mother 07:24 PM 12-30-2011
All my full time families have it off also...but 1. I ashually thought I'd be working but a lot of my families said they have it off. I ashually in grateful to have at least a little bit of income coming in for that day.
PitterPatter 07:26 PM 12-30-2011
Originally Posted by Christian Mother:
All my full time families have it off also...but 1. I ashually thought I'd be working but a lot of my families said they have it off. I ashually in grateful to have at least a little bit of income coming in for that day.
Great way to look at it! Thank your for the positive! Have a Happy New Year!!
Christian Mother 07:32 PM 12-30-2011
Your welcome...With one child you can always take your children and that one with you out if you'd like. When I only had one child I ran errands and such with them around and we bummed it around the house if we didn't. I let the parents know up front that it's a free for all day..we are just going to play and play and do what ever we want...lol...they don't mind in the least...that is when I go out and we get dunkin donuts...I get coffee. We grab movies. Over all a fun day.
Blackcat31 07:12 AM 12-31-2011
Pitter~ I feel bad that happened to you. Good for you for still following through though. I know I wouldn't have!

I would have went back and told the mom that I thought I had others booked for the day and just found out I don't so I won't be offering services after all. (I would only have done that though had I been aware the DCM didn't have to work, like you said).

When I only have one child, it makes no sense to be at work if I don't need to be and we are NEVER allowed to transport children unless we state that is a regular thing for us and we have permission from parents and additional insurance on our vehicle.

Transporting DCK's anywhere, ever is NOT common where I live.

Anyways, good for you for being so nice.
safechner 10:01 AM 12-31-2011
I agree what blackcat said. I would give her a call to let her know that you have something to come up and need to take a day off. You are so much deserve to have a day off to be fair like others who are off. Spending time with your son and have some fun together.

To me, there is no excuse for this mother who needs a break from her child. She have been a break a lot from her child for going to work, etc.. I have been under a lot of stress in the past but I am still with my children no matter what. Just saying.
Abigail 01:27 PM 12-31-2011
I would be upset that the other family pulled out, but was it a free day or paid whether they came our not?

I would feel horrible if I cancelled on the one who agreed to. It's already Saturday afternoon. It would look really bad if you "called in sick". If this day is free for her, then see if you can shorten the day or have her come later in the day so you can sleep in. LOL.

I would also have it be a relaxing day. MOVIE or shopping if you can transport. Maybe go out to a kid's movie and then shop?? Just make sure you call soon to ask so you can plan your day. Then make sure she remembers the car seat. If you do this, you can also mention she will be the only child at daycare so you're going to have a unique day. This will at least nicely inform her she is the only one having you work on your day off too.
Sprouts 04:19 PM 12-31-2011
Take it back! Lol
Just tell her nicely that you thought the other child was coming but they're not, if you feel bad and it would be hard then just ask to pick up early, very early, she is home anyway! She needs to enjoy her child....good luck
AmyLeigh 08:03 PM 12-31-2011
How about offering a half day? Offer either just the morning or the afternoon, that way you will both have some time off and some one on one time with the child.
Mandy_Jane 01:23 AM 01-01-2012
Since you already told the other mother that you would watch her child that day, it really would not look good for you to back out of it now. If you wanted a 3 day weekend you should've scheduled a 3 day weekend and told both families that you would not be working on Monday. I really don't see the issue here, other than you regretting your decision to tell the second mother that you would watch her child on Monday. If Monday was a contracted day for the first mother, then charge her for the day even if she's not bringing her children. If it is not a contracted day then I guess you will just lose out on the income. You need to plan these things out in advance so you know for sure what days your families will be there. You should really add the vacation days into your contract so you know what's coming up and you can plan your week ahead of time.
PitterPatter 07:19 AM 01-01-2012
Originally Posted by Mandy_Jane:
Since you already told the other mother that you would watch her child that day, it really would not look good for you to back out of it now. If you wanted a 3 day weekend you should've scheduled a 3 day weekend and told both families that you would not be working on Monday. I really don't see the issue here, other than you regretting your decision to tell the second mother that you would watch her child on Monday. If Monday was a contracted day for the first mother, then charge her for the day even if she's not bringing her children. If it is not a contracted day then I guess you will just lose out on the income. You need to plan these things out in advance so you know for sure what days your families will be there. You should really add the vacation days into your contract so you know what's coming up and you can plan your week ahead of time.
WOW ok it was just a simple post not a what should I do post. There is no "issue" here. I was simply saying I lost a day due to a parent not keeping me update with schedules. I was never debating on backing out I was simply saying what happened and suggesting everyone double check with clients schedules. I'm sorry of you misunderstood my post.

As for my vacation days they are in my contract. I was trying to work with my clients who need me. When DCM1 said she couldn't find alternate care I was staying open for her kids, she is state paid and I am required to supply back up care for any days I take off other than Saturday and Sunday. Sometimes state clients manage back up on their own and I am not needed to help. Since I couldn't find anyone for her for the holiday I figured I would just work it to avoid her complaining and so then I offered DCM2 care. Then DCM1 tells me at the last minute "sorry forgot to tell ya..." DCM2 has a parent who is having complications due to heart surgery she had last week and wants to be at her parents side. After she told me of the new complications and the stress she is under I decided not to even mention the situation to her. She is a single Mom, no man involved, no siblings etc. I have very little family also so I know how she feels. It wasn't a gotta get a break from my kid day it was a truly needed day where she didnt have to run from the hospital to work and vice versa. She has things to get in order and spend some time with her parent without DCB being there hearing and seeing it all. I didn't want to explain in detail here but now maybe it is better understood why I didn't call her back.
PitterPatter 07:21 AM 01-01-2012
Originally Posted by safechner:
I agree what blackcat said. I would give her a call to let her know that you have something to come up and need to take a day off. You are so much deserve to have a day off to be fair like others who are off. Spending time with your son and have some fun together.

To me, there is no excuse for this mother who needs a break from her child. She have been a break a lot from her child for going to work, etc.. I have been under a lot of stress in the past but I am still with my children no matter what. Just saying.
Sorry I guess I should have explained better. It wasnt a break from her child it was a break from her stress of a seriuos issue and to get things in order. I posted the details to another member. Thanks for your advise.
PitterPatter 07:28 AM 01-01-2012
Originally Posted by Child Care:
I would be upset that the other family pulled out, but was it a free day or paid whether they came our not?

I would feel horrible if I cancelled on the one who agreed to. It's already Saturday afternoon. It would look really bad if you "called in sick". If this day is free for her, then see if you can shorten the day or have her come later in the day so you can sleep in. LOL.

I would also have it be a relaxing day. MOVIE or shopping if you can transport. Maybe go out to a kid's movie and then shop?? Just make sure you call soon to ask so you can plan your day. Then make sure she remembers the car seat. If you do this, you can also mention she will be the only child at daycare so you're going to have a unique day. This will at least nicely inform her she is the only one having you work on your day off too.
It would have been a free day for me . I don't get paid unless the kids are actually in care that day. No paid holidays or time off.

I spent New Years home with my son as always. We bulit a gingerbread house, played games, made and ate goodies together, watched a movie, went outside and let off party poppers at 12 and brought in the new year together. Sure I would love to have another day of it but when I offer someone something it's just not right to back out. Especially in this situation.

We will be having a free day no schedule. Movies and snacks games etc. Maybe a Wii party even.

Thanks to everyone for your advise. Hope you all have a great New Year!
Tags:vacation, vacation - lost
Reply Up