Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Asking for Rates..
alyssyn 09:50 PM 02-19-2010
When parents ask for your rates over the phone is it better to give the info. this way or should you set-up an interview and discuss your policies.

Thanks!
AfterSchoolMom 05:40 AM 02-20-2010
I'd say go ahead and give them over the phone. If you set up an interview only to find out that the parent was looking for cheaper rates, then it's a waste of both of your times and energy.
Pammie 06:03 AM 02-20-2010
I always give rate info over the phone too. I don't want to waste my time holding an interview only to find out my rates aren't what a prospective family can afford. But when asked for my rates, I'm quick to add..."that includes all meals, activities, crafts, field-trips, etc"
momma2girls 06:05 AM 02-20-2010
I am the same way- I discuss their hrs. they will need, and my rate, before we set up an interview. It is a total waste of everyone's time, if you do not discuss this ahead of time.
tymaboy 06:35 AM 02-20-2010
Yep. I agree. Give it over the phone & answer any other question they may have. I direct them to my website to them to look over my policy then if they are still interested then they can call to set up an interview.
gbcc 07:01 AM 02-20-2010
I am a provider but put myself into a parents position. If someone wont give me the rates I assume they are too expensive and want to "sell" their facility in an interview so I wont waste my time.

I have gotten many calls from parents who complain that the last call they made refused to give rates and said they weren't going to waste their time.
alyssyn 11:26 AM 02-20-2010
Thanks everyone for your input on this. I was thinking the same, just wanted to know I was on the right track!
originalkat 11:05 AM 02-21-2010
I have read all over not to give out rates over the phone. However...I always give rates over the phone because
-If I were a parent, I would not schedule an interview without first knowing how much they charge.
-I also give out my web address so parents can see what they get for the money.
-It takes a lot of time and preparation to get ready for an interview. I do NOT want to go to all that effort without the parents knowing full well what they would be paying for my services.
MarinaVanessa 10:44 AM 02-22-2010
I agree in giving out fees over the phone. I am not the cheapest, I know that, and I'm to add that you get what you pay for. If you want cheap expect to have your kids roam around freely and maybe watch tv. In my DC the kids take projects home, go on field trips, learn etc. Last week we hatched baby chicks from an incubator. Each child named an egg and had the responsibility of turning it twice a day (even the 15 month old got an egg).
momma2girls 10:52 AM 02-22-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I agree in giving out fees over the phone. I am not the cheapest, I know that, and I'm to add that you get what you pay for. If you want cheap expect to have your kids roam around freely and maybe watch tv. In my DC the kids take projects home, go on field trips, learn etc. Last week we hatched baby chicks from an incubator. Each child named an egg and had the responsibility of turning it twice a day (even the 15 month old got an egg).
What a cute idea, where did you get the chicken eggs? Do you raise the chickens then?
momofboys 11:22 AM 02-22-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
That's super about the baby chicks. What a great experience for those kids.
Cheap does not equal unsupervised activities though. My rates are fairly inexpensive but it truly depends on where you live & what the going rate is. My rates are about what everyone else in my area charges. I have a college degree, do storytime with the kids, do treasure hunts, science experiments with the older kids, do crafts & preschool activities. We play outdoors a lot when the weather permits & have went to the zoo for fieldtrips with my assistant (my helpful husband). Not to rant on your post but it really bugs me when someone says that cheap equals low quality. It truly depends on what part of the country you live in & what the going rate is, that is a better reflection of the prices that are charged. I see you reside in CA & I'm sure the cost of living is much higher there than in the midwest, it's simple mathematics!
momma2girls 11:55 AM 02-22-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
That's super about the baby chicks. What a great experience for those kids.
Cheap does not equal unsupervised activities though. My rates are fairly inexpensive but it truly depends on where you live & what the going rate is. My rates are about what everyone else in my area charges. I have a college degree, do storytime with the kids, do treasure hunts, science experiments with the older kids, do crafts & preschool activities. We play outdoors a lot when the weather permits & have went to the zoo for fieldtrips with my assistant (my helpful husband). Not to rant on your post but it really bugs me when someone says that cheap equals low quality. It truly depends on what part of the country you live in & what the going rate is, that is a better reflection of the prices that are charged. I see you reside in CA & I'm sure the cost of living is much higher there than in the midwest, it's simple mathematics!
Where are you from? What is the going rates where you live?
Here where I live they are appr. $125.00-$150.00 a week per child, unless you give sibling discounts, which I still do.
I totally agree with you, it truly depends on where you live, etc.
momofboys 12:15 PM 02-22-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
Where are you from? What is the going rates where you live?
Here where I live they are appr. $125.00-$150.00 a week per child, unless you give sibling discounts, which I still do.
I totally agree with you, it truly depends on where you live, etc.
I'm in Ohio. In my small town most providers charge in the $20-30/day range. I've even seen some advertise for $16/day!!! The center in my town is about $30/day but it fluctuates depending on the age of the child.
momma2girls 01:08 PM 02-22-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
I'm in Ohio. In my small town most providers charge in the $20-30/day range. I've even seen some advertise for $16/day!!! The center in my town is about $30/day but it fluctuates depending on the age of the child.
Is it $30.00 a day for fulltime as well? SO weekly it would be $150.00? I give a small break if they come 5 days a week, compared to daily rate.
tzimmerm 01:48 PM 02-22-2010
I normally tell them over the phone and give them the option of coming in to discuss and check out my facility.
melissa ann 03:40 PM 02-22-2010
I'm in a small town in Pa. I charge $18/day with a min of 3 day rate. $80-90 is about the going rate for home daycare providers. I've seen ads as low as $12-15/day. Craziness. The daycare across the street from me never tells their rates on the phone. I know, I've tried numerous times. But from what I hear from some people around town is, $10/day for 2 hours of preschool or $30/day for all day.
alyssyn 04:13 PM 02-22-2010
I agree that it really makes a huge difference where you live on what you can base your rates on. There are a couple of centers here in MS that are charging $50.00-$65.00 wkly and like $12.00-$13.00 daily. It just depends on what area your in, but because you may be inexpensive doesn't mean the children aren't getting great care. I love children and even though I may have inexpensive rates, the children in my care will get the best care I can give them no matter what the rate has to be for now.
Tags:interview, policies, rates
Reply Up