Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Circle Time Ages
Catalina 01:21 PM 01-20-2018
Assuming you have all littles (14-15 months), at what age would you start attempting to hold structured circle time, where the kids actually sit and participate? We already read stories and sing sporadically throughout the day. Is 18 months too young to expect this to be feasible? I’m asking because I’d like to set up a circle time area, but don’t want to waste the space until it would actually be utilized. Thanks!
mamamanda 02:27 PM 01-20-2018
We have circle time, but I have a mixed age group. We started when the youngest toddler was 18 mo & I also have a 2, 3 & 6 yo who participate. My 18 mo is definitely actively involved. She loves the poems & songs. We jump while we count which she enjoys. They all have their own mats to sit on & she runs right over when I pull them out. That being said her attention span is extremely short. I aim for 5 min & follow the kids' cues. If she gets bored I let her wander to the book pile. It's very laid back but she does pick up a lot. I think it might be harder with all of them that young b/c she learns a lot from watching the older ones. I don't think I'd make an actual area for it at that young of an age. Can you just pull out little mats (we use placemats) & maybe use a fold up flannel board? Easy to set up/clean up w/o taking up space.
flying_babyb 05:17 PM 01-20-2018
My youngest is 12 months. With some practice they sit nice. We do stories, calendar, sing a ton of songs, puppets and their favorite, flannel boards. Recently started doing "Popsicle". you make a Popsicle shape out of felt (they are two sided, so they open like a pocket) with matching Popsicle sticks. The kids get a colored stick, and i sing "I'm looking for red, for red. I'm looking for red for red. Oh who's got red, give it to me please, Whos got red whos got red" then they give me the right color (with a ton of help so far).
Catalina 08:06 PM 01-20-2018
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
My youngest is 12 months. With some practice they sit nice. We do stories, calendar, sing a ton of songs, puppets and their favorite, flannel boards. Recently started doing "Popsicle". you make a Popsicle shape out of felt (they are two sided, so they open like a pocket) with matching Popsicle sticks. The kids get a colored stick, and i sing "I'm looking for red, for red. I'm looking for red for red. Oh who's got red, give it to me please, Whos got red whos got red" then they give me the right color (with a ton of help so far).
Great ideas! Just curious...what other ages are in your group? My struggle is that there are no older kids to model circle time behavior for the littles.
Catalina 08:07 PM 01-20-2018
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
We have circle time, but I have a mixed age group. We started when the youngest toddler was 18 mo & I also have a 2, 3 & 6 yo who participate. My 18 mo is definitely actively involved. She loves the poems & songs. We jump while we count which she enjoys. They all have their own mats to sit on & she runs right over when I pull them out. That being said her attention span is extremely short. I aim for 5 min & follow the kids' cues. If she gets bored I let her wander to the book pile. It's very laid back but she does pick up a lot. I think it might be harder with all of them that young b/c she learns a lot from watching the older ones. I don't think I'd make an actual area for it at that young of an age. Can you just pull out little mats (we use placemats) & maybe use a fold up flannel board? Easy to set up/clean up w/o taking up space.
I like the placemat idea! It might work for getting them used to having their own spot to sit until I feel they’re ready for a circle time space. Thanks!
Blackcat31 07:13 AM 01-21-2018
I do circle time during morning snack
Everyone is present but have something to keep them busy
Works perfect for all ages
flying_babyb 05:51 PM 01-21-2018
Originally Posted by Catalina:
Great ideas! Just curious...what other ages are in your group? My struggle is that there are no older kids to model circle time behavior for the littles.
my just 1 year old, and most days, 2-3 year olds.
flying_babyb 05:53 PM 01-21-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I do circle time during morning snack
Everyone is present but have something to keep them busy
Works perfect for all ages
Did this with mine too, had snack and group. Then we progressed to group before lunch (still at the table) then we tried chairs on the circle rug and (drum roll please) We sit on the carpet, criss cross apple sauce spoons in our bowls!
Reply Up