Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Have a MagicJack or Nettalk?
Meeko 12:56 PM 01-30-2012
I use my cell phone number as my business number too. But I am wanting to have a phone just for the day care and yet don't want to pay the absurd amount the local phone company wants.

I want to get away from business calls on the weekends and evenings. I was thinking that a MagicJack or a Nettalk device would work????? It plugs into either the computer or straight into the router of your computer and then you attach any phone you like. I can live with under $30 per YEAR for unlimited phone service as long as it works!!!

I could also reduce my minutes plan on my cell phone too and save even more money that way.

Does anyone use one?

FYI : I don't have to have a landline phone for licensing. Requirements are just a "working" phone.
MarinaVanessa 01:09 PM 01-30-2012
My licensing is the same and doesn't need a "land-line" as long as we have a phone in case of an emergency. We don't use either one of those options but we do use the Ooma. It's the same idea. It costs like $200 for the device on their website but it's a one time thing only and sometimes you can find it for $150-$160 on other online stores like Amazon. You only have to pay the tax for the calls. It comes out to be like $3 a month for us.

It has tons of features too and they're all free. Caller ID, Caller-ID block, Call waiting, call hold, voicemail (online too so you can keep messages), call log archiving onlone and you can block calls that you don't want coming in (like solicitors).

Ooma Website
http://www.ooma.com/micro2/index.php
kidkair 03:39 PM 01-30-2012
I have Ooma and love it! We pay just a little extra a month for the advance features which work great for our needs.

My friend used a magic jack for awhile and really liked it. It worked well. I think the magic jack would give you the freedom from calls that you are looking for much more than Ooma since Ooma typically just stays on.
Rachel 02:00 AM 01-31-2012
I've had magic jack for years (don't live in the states, so I use it to call back home for free).

It works well. Every so often it's quirky, but it works really well overall. Comes with voicemail, and you can see the number that is calling. For the price you can not beat it. You can also shut it off or send it directly to voicemail.
Meeko 08:05 AM 01-31-2012
Thanks ladies... I'm going to get a MagicJack. The Magicjack Plus is supposed to be able to plug right into the router/modem, but can be fussy about the brand. I figure I'll try that first and if it doesn't seem compatible, I'll just plug straight into the computer.

Naysayers say the drawback to that is that the computer has to be on if you want the phone to work. But it may actually be GREAT for us! I turn off my computer at the end of the day anyway before I leave. Calls would go to voicemail and not bother my son (he has his own cell service) during the evenings and I would not get so many calls on my cell.

My yellow pages ad doesn't renew until October. I'll just let them know to put in the new number when it comes time. My cell will still get inquiries till then. But at least current clients, CCRR referrals etc will be on my new business phone!

I'm excited!....wow...I need to get out more.....!
Rachel 02:55 AM 02-01-2012
Enjoy your new phone! I forgot your home daycare was in your son's home.

It's also good for you because if you are expecting an important call and don't want to give out your cell number, you can bring it home and plug it into your home computer so you can get the call. You have the option to be "unplugged" or not.
Tags:phone
Reply Up