Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sick Parent? But SWEARS It's Not The Flu...
bunnyslippers 05:45 AM 02-15-2012
OK, I know this has been covered before...but I need some advice. I just had a father call to tell me he is too sick to drive his child here. He is achy, has a fever, is vomiting, and can't lift his head. BUT...he tells me he is "not coughing so not to worry, it isn't the flu." He then goes on to tell me that his friend is driving his daughter here, but that she feels fine. This child is 21 months old, and only answers "yeah" to any question you ask her. Do any of you refuse admittance if a family member is sick? We have had a rough two weeks here - every illness under the sun has come through and we have all been dropping like flies. Luckily, February vacation is next week so we can air this place out. Thoughts on this? Thanks ~
cheerfuldom 06:05 AM 02-15-2012
No, I don't exclude for parent's being sick. However, I have no problem with trying to keep this little one separate for the next few days in case she comes down with something and sending her home at the first indicator.
Blackcat31 06:15 AM 02-15-2012
Just because a member of the family is sick does not mean the child is going to be sick too. I have two teachers and two nurses as dcm's and if I excluded their child every time they were sick or exposed to something, the child might as well not even come to daycare at all.

I know some providers have that policy for specific reasons (sensitive or immature immune systems or medical needs) but I don't see the point when no two people, even in the saem family, are alike.

My DH and my DD both get strep at least once or twice a year. My DS and I have NEVER had it althogh we have both been in pretty close contact with it many times.

If the dad is sick, I don't think it matters what he has as far as a cold or flu or whatever, there is no guarantee the child will get it too or is even a carrier of it. Plus, without the little one under foot, the dad can probably recover quicker if he doesn't have to exhaust himsself caring for his child.
bunnyslippers 08:00 AM 02-15-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Just because a member of the family is sick does not mean the child is going to be sick too. I have two teachers and two nurses as dcm's and if I excluded their child every time they were sick or exposed to something, the child might as well not even come to daycare at all.

I know some providers have that policy for specific reasons (sensitive or immature immune systems or medical needs) but I don't see the point when no two people, even in the saem family, are alike.

My DH and my DD both get strep at least once or twice a year. My DS and I have NEVER had it althogh we have both been in pretty close contact with it many times.

If the dad is sick, I don't think it matters what he has as far as a cold or flu or whatever, there is no guarantee the child will get it too or is even a carrier of it. Plus, without the little one under foot, the dad can probably recover quicker if he doesn't have to exhaust himsself caring for his child.
Points well taken! Thanks ~ all very valid and calmed me down. I think I am having one of those days today.
CheekyChick 11:40 AM 02-15-2012
I have never excluded a child because their parent is sick. More than likely, the parent is sick because his/her child passed something to them.
e.j. 11:42 AM 02-15-2012
I don't usually exclude kids when family members are sick for the same reasons Blackcat mentioned - although depending on the illness and how contagious it is, as well as the family's dc schedule, I may ask them to consider keeping siblings home if they've been exposed to it.

If I remember correctly, you're in central MA, right? Norovirus has been going around this area for the past several weeks. I wonder if that's what he has? I know someone who was exposed at work. I was worried because one of her kids attends my dc but no one else in her household became sick - at least as far as I know - and no one here at dc has caught it either. (Knock on wood!). She was just very careful about isolating herself and sanitzing her home afterwards.
bunnyslippers 04:45 AM 02-16-2012
I am in central MA, and we have had norovirus running through my child care - which is why I was so freaked out. We have been in the clear for at least a week, and I really don't want to get re-infected. Two more days and I am closed for a week. The windows are going to be opened and we are airing this germ-fest out!

Are you also in Cental MA?
Cat Herder 06:04 AM 02-16-2012
I only exclude if the sibling, who is also enrolled with me at a HUGE discount, has a contagious illness/too sick to function. "Package attendance deal", discount makes it worth it for the DCP's.
itlw8 06:16 AM 02-16-2012
I do not exclude for a family member being sick. Do you exclude people who use grocery carts? or people who eat out?

ok that is an extreme but germs are everywhere. I would be extra diligent sanitizing if junk is going around town.
e.j. 11:27 AM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:
I am in central MA, and we have had norovirus running through my child care - which is why I was so freaked out. We have been in the clear for at least a week, and I really don't want to get re-infected. Two more days and I am closed for a week. The windows are going to be opened and we are airing this germ-fest out!

Are you also in Cental MA?
I sent you a pm.

I don't blame you for freaking out, especially if you've already had to deal with it and have been in the clear for awhile. From what I've ready, Noro is nasty, very contagious and you can get it again even if you've just had it. I know there are germs everywhere and you can't always help coming in contact with them but if I can avoid having someone bring it into my home, I'd rather try to make an effort to keep it out.
bunnyslippers 11:36 AM 02-16-2012
It is crazy contagious - I had five kids here on a Friday, and by Saturday they all had it. Then their parents and siblings all got it. My own baby had it for 5 days, and we almost had to bring him into the ER. It was rough, and the parents are all freaking out that their kids will get re-infected. Can't wait for the week of to let everyone get better!
Tags:sick parent, sick policy
Reply Up