Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Cheese Dip
Zoe 05:34 AM 06-03-2011
Does anyone have a great cheese dip recipe that they might want to share? I'm trying to come up with one that would be approved by a food program. To be honest, I'm a terrible cook and when I tried to just "wing it", I ended up with cheese taffy! So awful.
MommyMuffin 12:49 PM 06-03-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
Does anyone have a great cheese dip recipe that they might want to share? I'm trying to come up with one that would be approved by a food program. To be honest, I'm a terrible cook and when I tried to just "wing it", I ended up with cheese taffy! So awful.
Oh yes! I could have written this post! Someone please share!
Former Teacher 02:21 PM 06-05-2011
What about Velveeta and Rotel? My mother makes it all the time and its delish!
Zoe 07:38 AM 06-06-2011
That's what everyone has been saying. Does Velveeta count as real cheese though?
Unregistered 08:10 AM 06-06-2011
My program will not allow velvetta. However, if you mix in real cheddar you can count it as a cheese product.
MommyMuffin 04:57 AM 06-07-2011
Too bad a food program couldn't come on the forum and offer some advice or recipe!
Zoe 07:18 AM 06-08-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My program will not allow velvetta. However, if you mix in real cheddar you can count it as a cheese product.
That makes sense!

Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
Too bad a food program couldn't come on the forum and offer some advice or recipe!
My food program lady showed up yesterday for one of her unannounced visits. I asked her about the cheese dip that they have listed as an approved snack (no recipe included) and she told me that it isn't actually cheese dip. It's cottage cheese mixed with Mrs. Dash. It's labeled wrong. There is no actual approved CHEESE dip. So that's annoying.

Thanks for trying anyway!
GretasLittleFriends 03:41 PM 06-08-2011
That makes sense!

My food program lady showed up yesterday for one of her unannounced visits. I asked her about the cheese dip that they have listed as an approved snack (no recipe included) and she told me that it isn't actually cheese dip. It's cottage cheese mixed with Mrs. Dash. It's labeled wrong. There is no actual approved CHEESE dip. So that's annoying.

Thanks for trying anyway!
She may have misunderstood you, or you her. Your program rep is right in that there is no brand (or generic) pre-manufactured cheese dip that is approved.

What did you plan on using the dip for? Depending on what you were going to use it for (meal or snack) you could make a home-made melted cheese sauce with REAL cheese that would count as long as you double checked the recipe and served the kids the appropriate amount. My food program gave me a sheet that explains how to evaluate/analyze recipes to see if they can be credited.
GretasLittleFriends 03:42 PM 06-08-2011
I found a couple of recipes online that you could likely use:

“Nacho”
* 4 oz sharp cheddar
* 4 oz. pepperjack
* The 1 Tablespoon corn starch
* 1 12-oz can evaporated milk
* 2 t. hot sauce
* minced jalapeno (optional—if you want it really spicy)

“White Cheddar”
* 6 oz sharp cheddar
* 2 oz. Monterey Jack
* 1 Tablespoon corn starch
* 1 t. dry mustard
* 2 t. Worcestershire (optional—omit for vegetarian; but if you’re feeding omnivores, it does add a nice meaty/umami dimension)

1. Shred the cheeses and toss them with the cornstarch (and dry mustard if using).

2. Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, just until the cheese melts and the mixture begins to thicken. The cheese may seem to “break” at some point, with bubbles of grease floating to the surface, but once the starch begins to expand, the fat and moisture should form a smooth emulsion.

3. To reheat, put the sauce in the top part of a double-boiler or a small pot set in a wider pot or deep skillet filled with water that rises at least half-way up the sides of the small pot. Stir just until smooth and warm. Direct contact with the burners may cause the sauce to reheat evenly and “break.”
GretasLittleFriends 03:44 PM 06-08-2011
Also, my food program binder that has recipes in it has this cottage cheese dip which is for a snack serving and 1/8cup serving s a meat/alternate for the 3-6yr age group.

Cottage Cheese Dip
*2 Tbsp lemon juice
*2 tsp dill
*1 cup Cottage Cheese
*2 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
Mix all ingredients together. Serve with fresh vegetables. Makes 8 servings.
Zoe 07:35 AM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
I found a couple of recipes online that you could likely use:

“Nacho”
* 4 oz sharp cheddar
* 4 oz. pepperjack
* The 1 Tablespoon corn starch
* 2 t. hot sauce
* minced jalapeno (optional—if you want it really spicy)

“White Cheddar”
* 6 oz sharp cheddar
* 2 oz. Monterey Jack
* 1 Tablespoon corn starch
* 1 t. dry mustard
* 2 t. Worcestershire (optional—omit for vegetarian; but if you’re feeding omnivores, it does add a nice meaty/umami dimension)

1. Shred the cheeses and toss them with the cornstarch (and dry mustard if using).

2. Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, just until the cheese melts and the mixture begins to thicken. The cheese may seem to “break” at some point, with bubbles of grease floating to the surface, but once the starch begins to expand, the fat and moisture should form a smooth emulsion.

3. To reheat, put the sauce in the top part of a double-boiler or a small pot set in a wider pot or deep skillet filled with water that rises at least half-way up the sides of the small pot. Stir just until smooth and warm. Direct contact with the burners may cause the sauce to reheat evenly and “break.”
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
Also, my food program binder that has recipes in it has this cottage cheese dip which is for a snack serving and 1/8cup serving s a meat/alternate for the 3-6yr age group.

Cottage Cheese Dip
*2 Tbsp lemon juice
*2 tsp dill
*1 cup Cottage Cheese
*2 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
Mix all ingredients together. Serve with fresh vegetables. Makes 8 servings.

These are great! Thanks! Yeah, when I saw on a list of approved foods for snack ideas I saw "cheese dip" and that's all it said. I got so excited thinking of all the possible snack ideas if I could count the dip as a protein product. But since I didn't have a recipe I had a hard time coming up with something that worked.

When I questioned my food program lady, she said that when they put that on there it was a typo and she meant to say "cottage cheese dip".

I'm going to try the recipes you posted. Thanks again!
cyerob 03:26 AM 06-12-2011
I've been doing this recipe for quite sometime. I hope it works for you and your kids in DC.

CHEESY DIP:
cheddar cheese (melted)
1/4 cup of evaporated milk

melt the cheese and slowly add the milk.. hope you enjoy this recipe.. =)
AZTanya 09:42 PM 06-21-2011
I grew up in east Texas...there is plenty of Cajun influence in my neck of the woods. I learned from an early age that roux can be your best friend in many recipes!
http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/all-about-roux/detail.aspx
http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/cheese-s...sy/detail.aspx

These are both great recipes...once you get the hang of it, like with any recipe, you can tweak it a bit and make it your own!
My daycare kids love when I make my sauce...so much that we have created our own recipe that they have named 'Tia's cheesy trees'...it's just my cheese sauce over steamed broccoli.
Tags:cheese, recipes
Reply Up