Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Moved, Starting To Work On Daycare Room Remodel - Flooring And Windows Coverings
TaylorTots 08:31 PM 02-13-2017
Bought a home, will be reopening in the fall. There are 2 living rooms in the house, one with ceiling to floor windows looking to the front of the house that will be the main daycare room.

1) It currently has hardwood and I'm trying to decide what flooring to put down. Suggestions?

2) Drapes with tie ups vs Mini blinds (with a command hook to tie up the cords)? Pros and Cons?
Lil_Diddle 10:36 PM 02-13-2017
I have carpet tiles and love them in the room that is the playroom. If a spot gets stained or damaged it can easily be replaced without replacing a whole room of flooring. As for drapes if possible skip them all together. I used to have them and couldn't keep the kids out of them.
Josiegirl 01:31 AM 02-14-2017
Originally Posted by Lil_Diddle:
I have carpet tiles and love them in the room that is the playroom. If a spot gets stained or damaged it can easily be replaced without replacing a whole room of flooring. As for drapes if possible skip them all together. I used to have them and couldn't keep the kids out of them.
Hardwood floor....what about just area rugs to create the look of spaces and still enjoy your hardwood floor?
I agree with the drapes. Maybe it'd be different with tie backs but I'm always getting the kids away. Blinds aren't as pretty, I have them in my playroom with it's 11 windows. I'd either leave them plain or just put up valances. Or maybe the tie backs would work.
daycarediva 09:41 AM 02-14-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Hardwood floor....what about just area rugs to create the look of spaces and still enjoy your hardwood floor?
I agree with the drapes. Maybe it'd be different with tie backs but I'm always getting the kids away. Blinds aren't as pretty, I have them in my playroom with it's 11 windows. I'd either leave them plain or just put up valances. Or maybe the tie backs would work.
Agree with this.

How big are the windows? I'm thinking roman shades for my new playroom windows.
mommiebookworm 12:42 PM 02-14-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I'm so jealous! My whole house has only 14 windows! (1900 sq ft.)
DaveA 12:48 PM 02-14-2017
My classroom is carpeted. If it had hardwood I would do area rugs in different areas. I have drapes in my classroom. I just hang them up over the curtain rod so the DCKs can't reach them.
Josiegirl 03:36 PM 02-14-2017
Originally Posted by mommiebookworm:
I'm so jealous! My whole house has only 14 windows! (1900 sq ft.)
Please don't be. They're old windows translated to mean sooo much cold comes in and heat escapes.
TaylorTots 05:51 PM 02-14-2017
Oh I like the idea of small different colored area rugs in primary colors to create the look of spaces. I thought about carpet tiles as well, esp with the staining factor. Would I need to put a carpet pad under the tiles? I'm not familiar with them...

Our entire house is hardwood except the ceramic tile kitchen and bathroom. I don't mind some carpet. Though the hardwood is easier to clean.... hmm...

I hate mini blinds but.....I have found success with mini blinds + a command hook for the blinds' cord...

The windows are floor to ceiling, minus maybe 6"-1 ft on either side. I want some kind of option to cover even if its' usually tied back or whatnot, especially for rest time - so I don't think valences will work.

We have so many windows in our new home! I've never had windows in toddler reach before so this is a new adventure for me...

I also have a massive walk in coat/shoe closet in that room. I'm going to turn it into a daycare storage walk in area. Is it weird that I'm excited about that? Ha!
Logan Rivera 07:32 PM 02-14-2017
Carpet tiles are a good option. It will make the room look more spacious.
Instead of drapes, I think window blinds can be used as it will give a trendy look for your house.
Tags:carpet tiles, flooring, remodel
Reply Up