Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Playhouse Options
jenboo 03:34 PM 02-13-2017
Would you get a wooden or plastic playhouse? It would be outside year round and we have a mild winter.
Gemma 06:24 PM 02-13-2017
I have a plastic one that's 20yrs old, I power wash it once a year and it goes back looking like new, I would never trade it for a wood one
Mike 06:33 PM 02-13-2017
Plastic is more weather resistant than the cheap wood ones (pine or pressure treated), but if you go with wood and make sure it's a quality one made from cedar or other rot and weather resistant woods, it will outlast plastic. Plastic is also usually cheaper because it's easier to mass produce.
Ariana 06:39 PM 02-13-2017
I bought a cedar playhouse from Costco about 6 years ago. It is outside in Canadian winters and in 90F heat in the summer and it still looks great! I might paint the roof this summer just to add a little more protection but thats just my choice. I am actually super surprised with how well red cedar stands up to the weather!

Before this playhouse I also would have said plastic but I think wood looks better and holds up well.
laundrymom 07:02 AM 02-14-2017
I do plastic because I can power wash it without making holes. Lol. And here in Indiana the spiders and bees seem to prefer the wood ones.
Second Home 07:42 AM 02-14-2017
All I use is plastic outside toys . Cleaning and storage is much easier.
midaycare 07:54 AM 02-14-2017
The only thing about plastic...I have had 2 plastic (really nice ones) crack already. I will need to throw them away and replace after only 3 years.

Now...we have bitterly cold winters and I have an extra excited dcb who is hard on my toys. He has assisted in breaking both items. But...all it takes is a crack and the plastic is done for.

With all that said, I will probably replace with plastic.

Someone mentioned bees and spiders. Not sure about bees, but spiders hang out all over my plastic toys.
Josiegirl 03:39 PM 02-14-2017
Wasps have tried building nests wherever they can in my plastic outside toys.
I love the look of wood. But my plastic stuff seems to last a lifetime except for fading color.
Ugh, I wish I could afford to do over everything.
jenboo 05:11 PM 02-14-2017
Thanks everyone! I think I'll start with plastic and save up for a really nice wood one down the road.
Reply Up