Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Lice STILL, UGGGGG
My4SunshineGirlsNY 12:49 PM 01-04-2011
I sent the 2 schoolage daycare girls home on Thursday afternoon of last week after discovering lice in the younger sister...turns out the older sister had them worse!

The mom did everything she should, and treated the older girl twice because she had so many. Well this morning I used my Robi comb on the younger girl and found one live one and one nit. This afternoon when the older sister got out of school I used my Robi comb and she is still infested after 2 treatments!! That comb was catching a bunch and I didn't finish as the mom was here for pick up.

She is taking them home to treat them again but I'm so freaked out!! I feel seriously lucky as I have only caught one on my 7 year old and nothing more. I have used the comb on my girls many times because I'm paranoid. Ugg, what a week this is going to be!!
Crystal 12:53 PM 01-04-2011
yuck. like I said before....no nit policy. check em' at the door and turn them away if you find a nit.
Crystal 12:55 PM 01-04-2011
and, btw, Mom is not doing everything she should if they still have them. has she completely cleaned/treated her house? have you?
My4SunshineGirlsNY 01:05 PM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
and, btw, Mom is not doing everything she should if they still have them. has she completely cleaned/treated her house? have you?
I have cleaned/vacuumed, put stuffed animals in a bag, dryed couch pillows on high heat for 20min., washed any bedding the girls came in contact with (the younger one was on my daughter's bed last week.

The hard part with this family is the mom and dad are split and the girls go to both houses, so if one isn't cleaning correctly, than the cycle could start over.

Well I'm off to run that comb through my hair and all my girls hair AGAIN!! Never ever had lice here before, I never even had it as a kid.
juliebug 01:57 PM 01-04-2011
she needs to try a diffrent shampoo or lice killing treatment. sometimes one doesn't work but the other kind does.

We had it here about 2 months ago it was soo afull but you have to do 1 treatment then 2 weeks later another treatment even if you don't see anything! so did she do the 2nd treatment?? make sure you clean everything put all dressup clothes, pillows and stuffed animals away until they are totally gone!
Little People 02:05 PM 01-04-2011
Mom needs to do the CAR, they are probably in the car and car seats. If they have 2 cars, then BOTH cars need to be done. Also if the children have HATS tell her to throw them away.

And this is another suggestion...where do the children HANG their coats at school?? The problem could be coming from ANOTHER child's coat. If the coats are touching then the nits will get on her coat too. Also the school needs to know. If the problem is a child that sits in front or behind your Dcg then that could be the problem. Nits FLY!

Hope these are some tips that may help. You have been fighting this with this family for some time. I would tell them that the children MUST stay out of DC for 2 weeks!!
My4SunshineGirlsNY 05:40 PM 01-04-2011
I just sent them home last Thursday with it, that is when I discovered it, so that was only 5 days ago that their 1st treatment was done.

Little People, everything I have read (which has been many many articles) states that lice don't fly. You pretty much have to have close contact with the infected person or sharing combs, hats, pillows, ect. So I'm assuming they can be rubbed off or maybe itched off, but they don't fly.

Well PRAISE THE LORD, my kids are clear of it still!! What are the chances? I must be really lucky.

The daycare girls are coming back tomorrow as mom is treating them again tonight...so first thing in the morning they are getting the Robi comb...if they have it I am not sending them to school, they will need to be picked up. I don't think their mom checked them well after treating them the first time.
momofboys 05:46 PM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by My4SunshineGirlsNY:
I just sent them home last Thursday with it, that is when I discovered it, so that was only 5 days ago that their 1st treatment was done.

Little People, everything I have read (which has been many many articles) states that lice don't fly. You pretty much have to have close contact with the infected person or sharing combs, hats, pillows, ect. So I'm assuming they can be rubbed off or maybe itched off, but they don't fly.

Well PRAISE THE LORD, my kids are clear of it still!! What are the chances? I must be really lucky.

The daycare girls are coming back tomorrow as mom is treating them again tonight...so first thing in the morning they are getting the Robi comb...if they have it I am not sending them to school, they will need to be picked up. I don't think their mom checked them well after treating them the first time.

Are you checking them before they come in the door or allowing mom to "check"?? I'd make sure you personally check & verify you don't see any nits on them or I'd send them home. Someone is missing something. Ughhhh so frustrating for you. We went through this last year but it was my son who got it. Luckily we seemed to nab it within a couple days but it was a huge pain.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 05:58 PM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by janarae:
Are you checking them before they come in the door or allowing mom to "check"?? I'd make sure you personally check & verify you don't see any nits on them or I'd send them home. Someone is missing something. Ughhhh so frustrating for you. We went through this last year but it was my son who got it. Luckily we seemed to nab it within a couple days but it was a huge pain.
They come in at 5:30 in the morning so they just lay down on the mat with a comforter and go back to sleep right away...I guess I'm going to have to check them even if it's that early if their mom is missing it. I'm very particular and look at every strand of hair!! Although I'm thankful for this electronic comb that catches them even if I don't see them. The live ones anyway. Ok, my head is itchy now, it's just the thought, right?
misol 06:04 PM 01-04-2011
They come in at 5:30 in the morning so they just lay down on the mat with a comforter and go back to sleep right away...I guess I'm going to have to check them even if it's that early if their mom is missing it. I'm very particular and look at every strand of hair!! Although I'm thankful for this electronic comb that catches them even if I don't see them. The live ones anyway. Ok, my head is itchy now, it's just the thought, right?
YES!! Please check them as soon as they walk in the door. Do NOT let mom leave until you are finished checking. If she is late for work, too bad so sad. She needs to wait until you are done checking and if anything is found, send them both home with her right then and there.
momofboys 06:19 PM 01-04-2011
I'd call or text mom & tell her she needs to come a little early if possible b/c you will need to do a thorough check to make sure there are no nits. I personally would not want anyone laying down on a mat/comforter. I'd be too afraid they are recontaminating everything you worked hard to clean. Hugs! I know this stinks. IF you find 1 nit I'd send them packing!
My4SunshineGirlsNY 07:09 PM 01-04-2011
I was just telling my husband how they must of had them for a while (I'm guessing at least a month) and how is it possible we didn't get them?? My girls have laid on the same comforters they laid on...laid on the same couch they sat on, on non school days they watch a movie and lay next to each other, their brush is stored in the same drawer as all our brushes and hair ties...the daycare girls are always giving my 2 younger daycare boys hugs and I know the one boy doesn't have them (will check the other boy tomorrow). I'm just shocked...all of the above without thought of lice...I have had these girls for 2 1/2 years with nothing like this happening.

I'm just baffled how we didn't catch this (yet) with all that closeness...my husband gave me this blank stare as I was running that Robi comb through all my girls' hair over and over as if I were a nut, but now he's nervous and said they are not to be here with it...well, ya, I won't let them stay if I find it.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 05:37 AM 01-05-2011
Both daycare girls were treated AGAIN last night with a different lice treatment and then had to go to their dads house, where their aunt also lives and she did the mayonaise remedy also.

I found nothing on the older girl but the younger 7 year old STILL has it!! I caught 2 in her hair this morning and pulled out a nit, I'm sure she had more but I sent her packing with her aunt before I was finished.

Oh what the heck, I don't have a clue why they can't shake it, but they go to both their mom's house and dad's house, so that's 2 houses that have to be sanatized and if one isn't doing it right, they will just keep it.

I don't want it here, I have the heebie jeebies 24-7 just knowing they had it here for an unknown amount of time...still haven't detected any on my kids or myself but I'm still paranoid and looking at my kids, using the electronic comb constantly just thinking would if I or the comb missed something. If they are having such a terrible time getting rid of it, I don't want to deal with that with my girls. What a mess!!
countrymom 05:52 AM 01-05-2011
maybe its time for a haircut. I don't think its done enough (the combing thru) I wonder if they stop after an hour, thats why its not being cleaned up. Do they have a lice nurse in your area, try calling the health unit and ask them, they could help you.
Crystal 06:04 AM 01-05-2011
the doctor can prescribe a more potent treatment for them. I would require the parent to visit the doctor and to obtain a doctor's authorization to return to care.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 04:20 AM 01-06-2011
The father dropped the older girl off this morning (she was clear of lice yesterday) and stated that her mother had lice as well! The mother doesn't live with the father, they are split so the father is keeping the girls untill the mother can get her appt. cleaned up AGAIN.

What a mess! I feel bad for the girls...they are not a dirty family at all, just having bad luck getting rid of it but the mother didn't have anyone check her until last night when they discovered she had it too. She treated herself the day I discovered it on the younger girl but apparently that treatment didn't work....so she could have been reinfesting the girls all this time.

They have to drive the younger sister to school to be checked by the nurse before she can go to class, I just hope they look good enough because sometimes it's hard to see.
countrymom 06:14 AM 01-06-2011
how awful, i feel for the kids.
Tags:lice, lice removal, nits
Reply Up