Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Oh My...Kids Don't Even Know What A Bar Of Soap Is Anymore
Soccermom 10:34 AM 10-15-2013
I ran out of hand soap in my automatic soap dispenser this morning so I grabbed a bar of Ivory soap out of the closet for the kids to use. They looked at me like I had 3 heads!!
What is this Mrs ________? What do you do with it? Are you sure this is soap?
LOL!
Yes kids, it is soap, you put it in your hands and rub it to make bubbles.
Wow Mrs. ________, that is weird!

Oh my.........
melilley 10:39 AM 10-15-2013
Had to laugh at this one!
That reminds me, one day my daughter who is 10 asked me what a pay phone was..lol
Soccermom 10:43 AM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Had to laugh at this one!
That reminds me, one day my daughter who is 10 asked me what a pay phone was..lol
LOL! Kinda makes you start to feel old doesn't it?
Maria2013 10:46 AM 10-15-2013

daycarediva 11:00 AM 10-15-2013
@ that! We use bar soap, so it's safe to say my own kids know what it is, at least.

We even have a working vhs player.

BAHAHA @ pay phone! HILARITY! My ds saw an OLLLDDD picture I have of Zach Morris (saved by the bell) with his giant cell phone and said "Why is that walky talky so BIG?" LOL!
craftymissbeth 11:01 AM 10-15-2013
I grew up using bar soap and I preferred it until DH and I moved in together and he prefers liquid soap. I used a bar of soap the other day and it just felt foreign
mema 11:27 AM 10-15-2013
It's funny some of the things some kids haven't seen before. How about a rotary phone? Dd saw one at a garage sale a few years back and asked why you would want to wait that long for the dial to go around.

Originally Posted by daycarediva:
@ that! We use bar soap, so it's safe to say my own kids know what it is, at least.

We even have a working vhs player.

BAHAHA @ pay phone! HILARITY! My ds saw an OLLLDDD picture I have of Zach Morris (saved by the bell) with his giant cell phone and said "Why is that walky talky so BIG?" LOL!
My kiddos just finished watching all the seasons that were on Netflix or maybe Hulu, I don't remember. Ah, the good ole shows. We have watched the Cosby Show and are now on to Different Strokes.....sorry, off topic
Angelsj 11:33 AM 10-15-2013
We went house shopping a few years ago, and my two youngest, who were 8 and 9 at the time were fascinated with the rotary phone on the wall, because the receiver was ATTACHED to the phone.

My 9 year old wondered what would happen if you had to pee while using the phone??
Blackcat31 11:37 AM 10-15-2013
I read the post title and thought "Oh-oh, sounds like someone said a naughty word"

On a serious side, I've never had a bar of soap here either...I wonder if any of my DCK's would know what it is...

I do have one little one who when washing hands always waves their hands under my paper towel roll...then waits....then repeats....

I always have to remind them the paper towel isn't automatic....you have to get some yourself.
Unregistered 12:24 PM 10-15-2013
These are really funny!
MarinaVanessa 12:47 PM 10-15-2013
Reading the OP got me curious to find out whether my kids know what a bar of soap is for. I only have Zote which I use for laundry but the kids never use that and I have a few bars of Ivory soap that the kids use but all we ever use those for is to put them in the microwave to make soap clouds. They probably don't know either! I'm going to ask them after nap.
blandino 12:50 PM 10-15-2013
We have a few toy cameras, and if I pretend to take a picture by holding it up to my eye - my DCK laugh at me. Most of them have never seen camera without viewing screens. They all hold their cameras at arm's length and say "cheeeeese".
Blackcat31 02:14 PM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
We have a few toy cameras, and if I pretend to take a picture by holding it up to my eye - my DCK laugh at me. Most of them have never seen camera without viewing screens. They all hold their cameras at arm's length and say "cheeeeese".
...and then say "let me see"

Sometimes when using my film camera, they just don't understand that I literally can't show them.
dingledine 02:14 PM 10-15-2013
Thanks for the chuckles!
MarinaVanessa 02:32 PM 10-15-2013
Oh my, they already know how to take selfies

My DCG asked me what the funny red and green symbols were on my phone ... she was talking about the phone receiver. Most kids have never seen one so I took her into the kitchen to show her my wall mounted corded phone ...
"THAT'S A PHONE?! Why is it sooo big? Why is it tied to the "thing"? You have to stand there the whole time you talk to someone??"
spud912 03:05 PM 10-15-2013
My dd LOVES my mom's house because she still uses bars of soap. I just don't like cleaning the scum they leave behind, but they sure are cheaper!
cheerfuldom 03:22 PM 10-15-2013
I had a daycare child that had never seen an apple before. She only ever had pre sliced packaged fruit.

also, my daughter asked me what VHS was....and "what is the 80s?"
Angelsj 04:39 PM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I read the post title and thought "Oh-oh, sounds like someone said a naughty word"

On a serious side, I've never had a bar of soap here either...I wonder if any of my DCK's would know what it is...

I do have one little one who when washing hands always waves their hands under my paper towel roll...then waits....then repeats....

I always have to remind them the paper towel isn't automatic....you have to get some yourself.

Oh, my.
Sunchimes 04:45 PM 10-15-2013
On the other side of the story, I was shocked at something my 3 year old recognized today. We have a new book, and on each page, they ask what Loonette forgot, then show a picture. One of them was a picture of an old fashioned gramaphone, the kind you wind and it has a big bell shaped speaker. DCG never even hesitated-she looked at the picture and said music. I have no idea how she knew that represented music.
LK5kids 04:46 PM 10-15-2013
About 12 yrs ago I was facilitating play group at my job and I used a real lp record ...not really thinking about it. The kids all go, "What's that?". I say, "Ahhhhhhh...hmmmmm It's a big CD!"
LK5kids 04:50 PM 10-15-2013
I saw a vintage FP toy camera at a thrift store and kept wondering if I should get it. It is a replica of those instamatics with the cube flash that went around from the 70's. It was 25 cents. I thought they would like it. They love it and have no trouble with it being a camera. I was so surprised!
Tags:funny, kids say the strangest things
Reply Up