Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Argh, No-Call, No-Show
SilverSabre25 03:21 PM 08-23-2011
my interview for this evening hasn't shown yet and it's 6:20. No call either, and I confirmed the appontment yesterday with them. GRR

here's a question...do I call or not?
JaydensMommy 03:35 PM 08-23-2011
Had the same thing happen to me on Friday. So frustrating, people can be so rude. So easy to pick up the phone and say sorry I can't make it. I did not call them on Friday, I guess I don't see the point. I knew I wasn't going to reschedule and I didn't want to hear a dumb excuse.
flightlessbird11 03:36 PM 08-23-2011
I wouldn't. If they don't have enough respect to at least call, I wouldn't want them as a client anyways. My pet peeve is the no shows. 0 tolerance.
meganlavonnesmommy 05:40 PM 08-23-2011
I had that happen a few weeks ago. Worst part was when the mom showed up 90 minutes AFTER our scheduled interview. NO phone call, nothing, just showed up late, unannounced.

GRRRRRRRR
AmandasFCC 05:44 PM 08-23-2011
I wouldn't call, and I wouldn't let them in the door if they DID show up late.

At one time I was operations manager for a company and was conducting interviews. This one lady waltzes in an hour late with all these excuses, "I couldn't find the place" even though I gave her very distinct directions ... I said, "Well then you should have used your phone in your hand to call us and ask for help. Sorry, I have another interview waiting who DID show up on time."
gelbesonn 08:12 PM 08-23-2011
This happened to me last week. I never bothered calling her. Boo!
Blackcat31 08:31 PM 08-23-2011
Did they ever call or show?

I wonder what makes people feel that they can just no-show for interviews or appointments and not think twice about it? I am obsessive about following through on things. It is one of my pet peeves.
SilverSabre25 08:57 PM 08-23-2011
Nope never called and never showed and so far no email either. *sigh* this happens so very, very much to me. It sucks. I don't know what it is...and this one I even confirmed yesterday!!!

I swear, common courtesy has gone the way of the dodo.
Kaddidle Care 05:16 AM 08-24-2011
Perhaps it's time to start applying a cancellation fee. That's why Dr's and Dentists do it.

When someone calls to schedule an appointment, tell them they need to sign an appointment time letter to confirm the appointment. Fine print on the letter should state that in the event of cancellation, 24 hours notice is required in writing or $$$ will be billed. Non-payment will be forwarded to a collection agency.

Just a thought. (in a perfect world right?) If all the Daycares could get on the same page with this it would fly. Your time is just as important as anyone elses.

People around here think nothing of being a No-Show. Even for kid's play dates which really burns me up. It's bad enough to screw up an adult's schedule but to disappoint a child like that really stinks.
SilverSabre25 07:02 AM 08-24-2011
Oh believe me Kadiddle, I've thought about trying to find a way to charge them for my wasted time. If I thought it would fly, I might do it, but the truth atm is that there are SO MANY daycares in the area that something like that would have them just cross my number off their list and move on.

I know it's not just me, though. I spoke with another provider in the area last night and she is having the exact same troubles I am. I know that it's not just me having trouble filling spots...and that it's not just me who's suffering because of it. Our area has lots of very, very CHEAP daycare--we're talking $80/week, $70/week, even someone advertising $10/day!!! Those aren't likely to be high quality programs, sure...but they are what people are looking for right now.
wdmmom 08:04 AM 08-24-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Perhaps it's time to start applying a cancellation fee. That's why Dr's and Dentists do it.

When someone calls to schedule an appointment, tell them they need to sign an appointment time letter to confirm the appointment. Fine print on the letter should state that in the event of cancellation, 24 hours notice is required in writing or $$$ will be billed. Non-payment will be forwarded to a collection agency.

Just a thought. (in a perfect world right?) If all the Daycares could get on the same page with this it would fly. Your time is just as important as anyone elses.

People around here think nothing of being a No-Show. Even for kid's play dates which really burns me up. It's bad enough to screw up an adult's schedule but to disappoint a child like that really stinks.
Even I considered this.

What I do is confirm the appointment 24 hours in advance. Once I get a confirmation, I wait until 2-4 hours before the appointment to provide my address. That way they are less likely to cancel!

I spent a lot of time doing interviews from February to May. I probably did 20 interviews in that time span. I had 1 show up late to which I told her I had 10 minutes and practically shoved her out my door. I could tell right away she wasn't going to be a good fit anyway so I didn't spend much time on her.

I had to re-schedule one interview to which I ended up getting the job.

And, everyone else showed up on time! I got another one of the jobs and got a deposit and they flaked 10 days before their start date. That was a free $275 for me!
MG&Lsmom 12:14 PM 08-24-2011
I started using a method someone here posted about a few months ago. I have them call me an hour before our appointment, at which time I give them my address and directions over the phone. I will tidy up throughout the day anyway, and it's just the final sweep after dinner, printing of papers within that last hour I actually prepare for. Normally an interview is the kick in the pants I need to start me decluttering piles of DH's junk in the bookcase or wash the windows too.
Tags:interview no show, no show
Reply Up