Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Singing Songs
kcnjason 07:32 AM 09-15-2011
We love to sing songs. However, it isn't as fun for them when it's just "me" singing. During circle time do you sing your own songs or do you put in a cd? circle time cd? I need to find a way that they will be more into singing. When it's just me, I seem to lose them. Suggestions?
Blackcat31 07:34 AM 09-15-2011
Here is a great thread about songs. Make sure you check out the penguin video/song and the one green jelly bean one too...they are adorable!

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...=singing+songs
tbutler 08:16 AM 09-15-2011
Originally Posted by kcnjason:
We love to sing songs. However, it isn't as fun for them when it's just "me" singing. During circle time do you sing your own songs or do you put in a cd? circle time cd? I need to find a way that they will be more into singing. When it's just me, I seem to lose them. Suggestions?
I mostly use cd's during circle time. But we sing them ourselves, no cd, during transitions, outside play, or while walking around the neighborhood. But always a cd during circle time.
kendallina 11:15 AM 09-15-2011
I usually just sing, with no cd. My kiddos usually sing with me, although they sometimes need encouragement to do so. We do a lot of movement songs too and they don't usually sing through those because they're usually so focused on the movements.

To encourage them to sing I sometimes start circle time with "warming up our voices", where we lightly tap our throats and make silly sounds (like, eeeee-oooo--eeeee-ooo....). I tell them that this helps them to remember to sing...lol. It usually works.

I always let them choose the songs we sing too, which helps.

Also, sometimes we'll sing a song loudly (like, totally screaming) and they LOVE that. We also sing songs in a whisper, which they sing.

I also allow them to sing a song for the whole group if they want. They really like that, although sometimes it goes on longer than the other kids like .

Sometimes I'll pretend to sing a song and not know the words (I do this with the ABCs a lot), then I tell them that they should sing it without me so I can learn the words.

I've definitely found that by varying things, they're more likely to sing along. I have 3-4 year olds.
karen 11:48 AM 10-25-2011
At the start of circle time I always do songs that include the kids names.....
Here is one that I start off with
"Look through the window and who do I see
Luke friend Luke waving at me (I am waving to the child as I sing this part)
Hi Luke."
Look through the window and who do I see Michelle friend Michelle waving at me.
I just go down the row until I have said each child's name.

I also insert the kids name when singing songs like 5 little ducks or 5 green and speckled frogs and so on.....The kids can't stop laughing!
AmandasFCC 12:38 PM 10-25-2011
During circle time, I sing. Well, WE sing. I used to use CDs of children's music during free play time but I found that it caused the noise level to escalate to an unbearable level and stopped.
Largemouthfrog 08:29 AM 01-30-2013
www.largemouthfrog.net - has an interactive site where children can explore music, animals and countries.
Here is their latest music video.
http://youtu.be/bw2nif3jt6w
LK5kids 03:14 AM 02-15-2013
I have always used songs from the piggyback series. I am not even sure if they are still in print. They have quite a few books and each book is filled with new songs that are sung to familiar tunes.

They also have C.D.'s

I have always had a song board. Each month there are about 10 cards on the board and the "Child of The Day" picks out the songs we sing. These are index cards with a picture or stickers that relate to the song and the song title printed at the top.

I have the song printed on the back. By doing this, I have never gotten bored with songs.

I may also have some every day choices in there too....like, "Mary Had a Little Lamb."

Ooooooopppps! I didn't know this was an old thread....oh, well!
Tags:sing along, singing songs, songs
Reply Up