Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What About Screaming With Joy?
coolconfidentme 06:24 AM 08-13-2013
New DCB just turned 1. He screams with joy & it's ear piercing. He is too young to understand indoor voice too. I'm glad he is happy, but it is L.O.U.D!

Advice?
Familycare71 06:50 AM 08-13-2013
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
New DCB just turned 1. He screams with joy & it's ear piercing. He is too young to understand indoor voice too. I'm glad he is happy, but it is L.O.U.D!

Advice?
Oye! I had one that did that!! I can't stand screams - and the parents thought it was funny/cute...
My aunt used to splash my cousin with water when she would do that! it worked but maybe not acceptable in dc!
mamac 06:55 AM 08-13-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
Oye! I had one that did that!! I can't stand screams - and the parents thought it was funny/cute...
My aunt used to splash my cousin with water when she would do that! it worked but maybe not acceptable in dc!
Lol. Kinda like training a cat...
Familycare71 07:02 AM 08-13-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
Lol. Kinda like training a cat...
Exactly!!!
daycaremum 07:11 AM 08-13-2013
He is not too young to learn. Just say "No screaming", not mean, not in a sing song voice, but matter of fact. The distraction alone of you saying something may stop him.
I've taught many a young child to not scream, I don't think it's cute.
You say it now and every time so that once he does figure out what you are saying he'll start doing it. I also tell my one year olds to say please and thank you, I know they can't do it yet, but I'm preparing them for when they can.
TheGoodLife 07:11 AM 08-13-2013
My one year old DD does that- cute (sometimes) that shes so happy, but SO loud. We try to ignore it, correct it, ect but it doesn't stop it. Hopefully she'll grow out of it soon!
coolconfidentme 07:11 AM 08-13-2013
I've been doing the "SHHHHH! No Scream" thing. I asked the other kids for help, when they hear him scream, they do the same thing & start talking quietly. Let's see how that plays out.
Kabob 07:35 AM 08-13-2013
I have a 14 month old that would scream when she was happy/sad/whatever. What worked for her was saying calmly "No scream" followed by showing her the appropriate response such as signing what she wanted when she was upset or other ways to express her emotion when happy (clapping, saying "yay"). Worked wonders and also had her mom do the same thing at home since she was tired of the screaming too.
Brooksie 10:24 AM 08-13-2013
My dd used to do that around the same age. I would just remind her to use her inside voice and eventually she grew out of it. Yes, it is loud, but at least he's not screaming and crying all day. Excited shrieking is one thing but I can't stand screaming and crying. It plucks my nerves a different way. Good luck!
melilley 10:56 AM 08-13-2013
I had one dcg who also screamed no matter if she was happy, sad, mad, etc... and it drove me nuts and her parents nuts! Nothing worked in trying to get her so stop-she would just stare at you and scream when we said something to her, but she did eventually grow out of it.

Now I have a 12 mo. old who screams when it's time to eat. If he see's the food he screams or if he see's food he can't have, he's gluten and dairy free, then he screams and it's ear piercing! I'm not sure what to do with him but to keep telling him that screaming hurts our ears and shhhhh. It doesn't work.

I think some children will eventually learn if you say something like what you said that you say, but I think that other children just keep doing it and hopefully grow out of it!
Patches 11:03 AM 08-13-2013
I have a 9 month old dck that does that. Boy, it's loud
DaisyMamma 04:51 PM 08-13-2013
I had a 20mo doing that today. It was really irritating. I gave him his binky
coolconfidentme 05:31 PM 08-13-2013
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
I had a 20mo doing that today. It was really irritating. I gave him his binky
I wish it was that simple with this boy. Mom just says he's happy. I told her I need to work on making him sad because it's headache level to me.
Familycare71 08:54 PM 08-13-2013
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
I wish it was that simple with this boy. Mom just says he's happy. I told her I need to work on making him sad because it's headache level to me.

Tags:loud child, screamer
Reply Up