Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How to Word Payment Question
Scout 01:08 PM 04-14-2014
I have never run into this before. I have a family that is relatively new, great so far. Love the child, never any issues with them. They keep the child home when sick and still pay. Well, last week was mom's break from school and I have not received payment. Because of this I just think its an oversight. They did sign the contract and chose the rate structure where they pay regardless of attendance unless I am closed for my vacation days or any other reason except for paid holidays. How can I politely word it asking them when they will be paying for last week? I don't want to offend anyone as I would like to keep them as clients. I would probably let it go but, one of my other families just had their child miss one full week because of illness and still paid me that Friday so it is only fair. I know I need a backbone!
Unregistered 01:21 PM 04-14-2014
Do you have a cubby system? It's easy to leave a friendly little note in the cubby for dcp to find at the end of the day: Hi DCM, Ooops, looks like you forgot to leave a check for this week. Please take care of this by xx date. Thanks
Blackcat31 01:31 PM 04-14-2014
Originally Posted by Scout:
I have never run into this before. I have a family that is relatively new, great so far. Love the child, never any issues with them. They keep the child home when sick and still pay. Well, last week was mom's break from school and I have not received payment. Because of this I just think its an oversight. They did sign the contract and chose the rate structure where they pay regardless of attendance unless I am closed for my vacation days or any other reason except for paid holidays. How can I politely word it asking them when they will be paying for last week? I don't want to offend anyone as I would like to keep them as clients. I would probably let it go but, one of my other families just had their child miss one full week because of illness and still paid me that Friday so it is only fair. I know I need a backbone!
Wait... if it's an oversight on their part, why would you be worried about offending?

If it isn't an oversight and they plain old didn't bother paying their care provider, then why worry about being polite?

I'm sorry I know its hard to address issues now and then but here is the PERFECT opportunity for you to set down the FIRM groundwork you need...

This family is new.

Send her an e-mail or text and say"

Just a Reminder

Per our signed contract, ALL payments are due on xx day. As of (today's date) ABC Child Care has not received your tuition check for the week(s) of xxxx, 2014-2014. To avoid additional late fees, please submit your payment NO later than xxx, 2014.

Then let the family address the rest.

DO NOT feel badly about requesting payment for services you already provided.
TwinKristi 02:14 PM 04-14-2014
Yeah I would just shoot them a quick email, or text, note in cubby... however you contact them, and remind them that $X is due for the week of XX-XX-XX. If they question it then you can remind them of their contract.
gracepatiencelove 06:25 PM 04-14-2014
I like $x due for week of.
I would probably say something like, "hey, I will waive late fee for payment of $ for week of if you can bring it to me now, I'm going on a bank run " but ony
If you are ok waiving that fee.
jenn 08:51 AM 04-15-2014
"I'm ready to deposit the checks for last week. Just a reminder that if yours is not here tomorrow, there will be a $XX late fee added."
TwinKristi 10:00 AM 04-15-2014
Update??
hwichlaz 10:50 AM 04-15-2014
It could be minor confusion too. I require payment in advance for the week, at drop off on the first day of care for that week. About half of my parents read that as paying for their vacation time on the first day their child attends after vacation. The other half pay for two weeks at once the week BEFORE to cover that week. Since DH gets paid on the 1st, and my subsidy payment comes on the 20th, I don't sweat it, as long as they are consistent.
butterfly 10:58 AM 04-15-2014
I agree it needs to be addressed; however, I'd call not email, text or leave a note. I want them to hear my voice asking for my money it's harder to weasel out of payment if they have to tell me directly that they don't want to pay me. Then I can tell them that I will no longer have a spot for them.
Tags:payment - due, payment issues
Reply Up