Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Assuming Days Off. WWYD?
hope 06:14 AM 07-11-2014
I just booked a hotel for 2 days for Dh and myself in Sept on days that the schools here are closed due to Jewish holidays. My teachers always keep their kids home when they have off and still pay for the whole week. It's not in my contract but they have always done this and I give them a small discount for reason like this. I have one part time mom that doesn't really need care if I can not accommodate so she is easy going and I can ask that she not come those days. She pays for days used so I would lose out on her two days. I have another family that has a SA child and usually takes time off work when school is closed bc it's cheaper than having me watch SA girl along with younger sibling. So my question is.....I don't want to really tell parents I am going away. I want them to tell me they are taking those days off which I'm pretty sure all will. If they take those days off I get paid. If I take those days off they don't pay. I planned this trip on those days bc I was sure they would all take off and I wouldn't lose out any money except for part timer. Would it be wrong of me to ask for Sept schedule to see if they all take off and if one doesn't then inform them I made plans? I would then have to give them the days unpaid. I worry they would find this sneaky. I am feeling like maybe I did go about this the wrong way. Wwyd?
Reply
Second Home 06:23 AM 07-11-2014
I would tell them to be sure they will not be attending . One of them could plan on bringing their kids , you can not guarantee they will all stay home .

I know it is hard to not get paid but what would be worse . Possibly having a child show up and not get to go away or turning them away at the door making them mad because you did not tell them you would be closed .
Reply
midaycare 06:39 AM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by Second Home:
I would tell them to be sure they will not be attending . One of them could plan on bringing their kids , you can not guarantee they will all stay home .

I know it is hard to not get paid but what would be worse . Possibly having a child show up and not get to go away or turning them away at the door making them mad because you did not tell them you would be closed .
. Yeah, watch this be the one time someone really needs you to be open!
Reply
hope 06:47 AM 07-11-2014
Well I give a calendar at the beginning of the month and I specifically ask about days school is closed. Parents then have a few days to look over schedule and tell me what their plans are. So I would know the first week if they wanted off and they would still have to pay. Once they say they are not coming I m free to do whatever with those days...no need to be open. BUT, if one says they will come that day I would have to tell them I will be closed. They would have plenty of notice but I'm worried as to if that is deceitful?
Reply
Blackcat31 07:07 AM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by hope:
Well I give a calendar at the beginning of the month and I specifically ask about days school is closed. Parents then have a few days to look over schedule and tell me what their plans are. So I would know the first week if they wanted off and they would still have to pay. Once they say they are not coming I m free to do whatever with those days...no need to be open. BUT, if one says they will come that day I would have to tell them I will be closed. They would have plenty of notice but I'm worried as to if that is deceitful?
I'd wait until you give out the calendar and see what happens when you get it back.

If a family does say they need the day(s) you are planning to be out of town, just let them know something personal came up and you will now be closed on those days.

No one needs to know WHEN you booked this trip.

The only way a parent is going to consider you deceitful is if tell anyone ahead of time...kwim?
Reply
coolconfidentme 07:12 AM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'd wait until you give out the calendar and see what happens when you get it back.

If a family does say they need the day(s) you are planning to be out of town, just let them know something personal came up and you will now be closed on those days.

No one needs to know WHEN you booked this trip.

The only way a parent is going to consider you deceitful is if tell anyone ahead of time...kwim?

Reply
hope 07:43 AM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'd wait until you give out the calendar and see what happens when you get it back.

If a family does say they need the day(s) you are planning to be out of town, just let them know something personal came up and you will now be closed on those days.

No one needs to know WHEN you booked this trip.

The only way a parent is going to consider you deceitful is if tell anyone ahead of time...kwim?
Thank you! Sounds great! I needed the assurance.
Reply
AmyKidsCo 08:32 AM 07-11-2014
ITA with Blackcat - but I'd also send out an email to ALL the families letting them know that something came up and you'll be closed. Just in case this is the one time one of the families decides to bring their child.
Reply
hope 08:54 AM 07-11-2014
In the past I have given families a calendar at the beginning of the month and they let me know what days they will be taking off. Then when they change their minds close to the date I give in and watch the child. If this works out as it should I will tell all parents that I have made plans as soon as all calendars are submitted to avoid that issue.
I am so looking forward to getting away for those two days. At this point if it doesn't work out I am ok with losing the money.
Reply
daycarediva 11:28 AM 07-11-2014
I have a policy that I will only open on holidays/breaks if I have a minimum amount of children. I would request schedules now, and add a note that you may close based upon needed attendance those days.
Reply
hope 11:38 AM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I have a policy that I will only open on holidays/breaks if I have a minimum amount of children. I would request schedules now, and add a note that you may close based upon needed attendance those days.
Do you still charge? I have no problem closing those days bc it's only one child that I may have to worry about wanting to come. What I'm trying to do is get paid for those days otherwise I'm out a couple hundred dollars. If they all chose to take off on their own they still pay. So I may do as BC said and see what happens when they all submit and cross my fingers. If not, I'll let them take the day unpaid and bite the bullet.
Reply
My3cents 12:30 PM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by hope:
I just booked a hotel for 2 days for Dh and myself in Sept on days that the schools here are closed due to Jewish holidays. My teachers always keep their kids home when they have off and still pay for the whole week. It's not in my contract but they have always done this and I give them a small discount for reason like this. I have one part time mom that doesn't really need care if I can not accommodate so she is easy going and I can ask that she not come those days. She pays for days used so I would lose out on her two days. I have another family that has a SA child and usually takes time off work when school is closed bc it's cheaper than having me watch SA girl along with younger sibling. So my question is.....I don't want to really tell parents I am going away. I want them to tell me they are taking those days off which I'm pretty sure all will. If they take those days off I get paid. If I take those days off they don't pay. I planned this trip on those days bc I was sure they would all take off and I wouldn't lose out any money except for part timer. Would it be wrong of me to ask for Sept schedule to see if they all take off and if one doesn't then inform them I made plans? I would then have to give them the days unpaid. I worry they would find this sneaky. I am feeling like maybe I did go about this the wrong way. Wwyd?
give yourself so many paid personal days a year 3-5 is a good amount. You don't know who you will have come Sept for other kids.

I suggest a good policy,rule, hand book and contract. States everything out clearly.

Never be afraid to talk with your parents- but remember your a business, your not doing daycare for the parents, your doing it to better your family and home. I don't do unpaid days. Parents pay for a spot. The only time I would not charge is if I had to take more days off that my allotted personal days. In order for my daycare to run smoothly it has to be dependable upon a steady weekly income. Personal/sick days I hardly ever use, but if I need to use them my parents understand. I am very dependable. I work hard. This is me being good to me and making it so I can be good to everyone else-

Not everyone does it the same way and that is ok- what I have found is that most daycares, again not all that do have solid rules in place stay in business for the long run.

Hope this helps-
Reply
My3cents 12:37 PM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by hope:
Do you still charge? I have no problem closing those days bc it's only one child that I may have to worry about wanting to come. What I'm trying to do is get paid for those days otherwise I'm out a couple hundred dollars. If they all chose to take off on their own they still pay. So I may do as BC said and see what happens when they all submit and cross my fingers. If not, I'll let them take the day unpaid and bite the bullet.
this is why you charge for the slot not attendance. You can't be guessing what your income is going to be. At least I don't want to be. I can't run smoothly that way. and give yourself 3-5 personal days a year.

Many jobs have mental health days- when you need to get away this badly I call it a mental health day to my parents I call it a personal day. You come back so refreshed and feel appreciated.
Reply
hope 12:46 PM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by My3cents:
this is why you charge for the slot not attendance. You can't be guessing what your income is going to be. At least I don't want to be. I can't run smoothly that way. and give yourself 3-5 personal days a year.

Many jobs have mental health days- when you need to get away this badly I call it a mental health day to my parents I call it a personal day. You come back so refreshed and feel appreciated.
They do pay for the slot. If parents keep their kids home for vacation or sick days they still pay. I have one week paid vacation in the winter and paid federal holidays. I dont give myself sick or personal days bc I usually have a sub I can ask to fill in. I am expecting all the parents to take off these days and still pay for them like they have done in the past. Its a holiday and schools are closed so all usually stay he and still pay. If one choses not to stay home then I will be forced to take the days unpaid which I never do.
Reply
rosieteddy 02:11 PM 07-11-2014
When I do a teacher contract I do not except children when school is closed.The teachers get a small break in tuition at the start .I close for snow days and all school closings that teachers aren't expected to be at school. I let them take some of the summer off and hols a deposit for the new school year. You could add that to your policies explaining that most teachers keep their children home so you have decided to make that the policy. Good luck.
Reply
Tags:closed days, paid days off, scheduling issues, unexpected close days
Reply Up