Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Paid Vacation
Littlelearnersdaycare 09:06 AM 10-14-2014
Wondering how many people have paid vacation days in their contract? I have 10 vacation days total for each year. 5 are paid and 5 are unpaid. I've heard from a few people lately that paid vacation days for providers is too much to ask... But I've never had a problem with my daycare families. Am I being unreasonable by asking for paid vacation?
Reply
NeedaVaca 09:11 AM 10-14-2014
I take 2 weeks paid, 3 personal days paid and 10 paid holidays. I get paid 52 weeks per year and I've never had a problem!

I'm actually debating going to 5 paid personal days for the upcoming year
Reply
Littlelearnersdaycare 09:13 AM 10-14-2014
Great to hear. All of my holidays are paid as well. I did not think I was being unreasonable, but when other people start talking I start to wonder!
Reply
NightOwl 09:15 AM 10-14-2014
No, you're not unreasonable. I take one paid vacation week annually, 8 paid holidays, and reserve the option for 2 paid professional days for out of town trainings. We need our "me" days just like the parents do!
Reply
AuntTami 02:16 PM 10-14-2014
I think it's Time to revamp my handbook! I take 10 holidays and two weeks of vacation but they're unpaid. Maybe I should have them start paying !?
Reply
melilley 04:54 PM 10-14-2014
I do the same as you. I also give my families one unpaid vacation per year, equal to the number of days that they are contracted for, plus I get paid holidays and 5 personal days per year. For both parties, they must be used and cannot roll over. I haven't had any problems with this yet.
Reply
lynne 04:57 PM 10-14-2014
I'm wondering how you get your parents to agree to that? Mine dont want to pay when their child is out sick...I really need to redo my policies...
Reply
Cradle2crayons 05:11 PM 10-14-2014
Originally Posted by lynne:
I'm wondering how you get your parents to agree to that? Mine dont want to pay when their child is out sick...I really need to redo my policies...
My parents have to agree to ALL of my policies when they enroll. They are welcome to find a daycare that gives them exactly what they want
Reply
NeedaVaca 06:01 PM 10-14-2014
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
I think it's Time to revamp my handbook! I take 10 holidays and two weeks of vacation but they're unpaid. Maybe I should have them start paying !?
Your holidays are not paid either? I think it's time to make some changes
Reply
NeedaVaca 06:02 PM 10-14-2014
Originally Posted by lynne:
I'm wondering how you get your parents to agree to that? Mine dont want to pay when their child is out sick...I really need to redo my policies...
They don't even bat an eye! I have never lost anyone due to this and my families are all great
Reply
EntropyControlSpecialist 06:34 PM 10-14-2014
I take 16 paid days total. Next year 17!
Reply
Mister Sir Husband 09:46 PM 10-14-2014
I don't require payment for vacation days, but I do close for them... for the most part. If a parent is working a holiday (as some do) and needs me.. I will be more than happy to charge them for it. I also explain to them that if my family was planning on going somewhere that day, their child will be going too. I'm not changing my plans, just taking more people. I don't really take paid personal days, but will close if I need to. My "me" time is the same as it used to be when I worked outside the home. I get 2 days a week. Saturday and Sunday.
Reply
Meyou 06:40 AM 10-15-2014
I take 13 paid holidays, 1 week paid vacation and 2 weeks unpaid vacation split between two summer breaks and Christmas.
Reply
Butter Biskets 07:24 AM 10-15-2014
I take 2 weeks unpaid in the summer, one week between Dec. 24-Jan 1 paid, and I allow myself 6 paid sick or personal days per year. So far I haven't had a vacation in the summer or used any sick or personal days because I am still relatively new to full time child care. I can't wait for that week at Christmas. lol.
Reply
DaveA 07:24 AM 10-15-2014
I have 10 paid holidays off. My summer & winter break weeks are unpaid.
Reply
KSDC 08:21 AM 10-15-2014
I seem to be in the minority. I don't charge for my days off. I do take up to 15 unpaid vacation/personal day, in addition to holidays.
Reply
Littlelearnersdaycare 09:30 AM 10-15-2014
I take 8 Paid holidays, 5 paid personal vacation days and 5 unpaid personal vacation days. I have never had an issue finding families due to my vacation days. If I am sick and have to cancel daycare suddenly, i always credit the families for that day. Same goes for weather cancelations (which almost NEVER happen because daycare is in my home)
If i cannot give at least two weeks notice for a paid day off, i always credit them for that day.
Reply
Littlelearnersdaycare 09:33 AM 10-15-2014
Also, may i ask which holidays people take off? I don't think i can come up with any more holidays and i only have 8.
Reply
Littlelearnersdaycare 09:35 AM 10-15-2014
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
I think it's Time to revamp my handbook! I take 10 holidays and two weeks of vacation but they're unpaid. Maybe I should have them start paying !?
You don't charge for holidays either? I don't know of any daycares in my area that don't charge for holidays. You should definitely consider changing your contract a bit
Reply
Blackcat31 09:45 AM 10-15-2014
Originally Posted by KSDC:
I seem to be in the minority. I don't charge for my days off. I do take up to 15 unpaid vacation/personal day, in addition to holidays.
I don't charge for holidays or vacation days anymore either.

If I'm open, they pay.

If I'm closed, they don't.

Works easiest for me and seems to be my "happy middle".

...at least the best one I've found so far over the years.

I did raise my rates considerably when I implemented this change so I am still basically making the same income as I did before when I charged for each of my holidays/days off and vacations.

I also implemented the graduated rate scale (rates according to pick up time) at the same time too and its helped stabilize not only my income but my work hours/days too.
Reply
Littlelearnersdaycare 09:55 AM 10-15-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't charge for holidays or vacation days anymore either.

If I'm open, they pay.

If I'm closed, they don't.

Works easiest for me and seems to be my "happy middle".

...at least the best one I've found so far over the years.

I did raise my rates considerably when I implemented this change so I am still basically making the same income as I did before when I charged for each of my holidays/days off and vacations.

I also implemented the graduated rate scale (rates according to pick up time) at the same time too and its helped stabilize not only my income but my work hours/days too.
Thats actually a really good idea. I might have to sit down and calculate what I would be making if i charged a little bit more per child and then had all holidays and my vacation days unpaid. It may be easier all around.

The only problem with that though is that my daycare is paid for by the day. I do not charge hourly UNLESS their child is in school and coming half days.
The going rate in my area is $35 per day for an infant (under 2) and $30 per day for toddler (over 2)
Reply
Annalee 10:12 AM 10-15-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't charge for holidays or vacation days anymore either.

If I'm open, they pay.

If I'm closed, they don't.

Works easiest for me and seems to be my "happy middle".

...at least the best one I've found so far over the years.

I did raise my rates considerably when I implemented this change so I am still basically making the same income as I did before when I charged for each of my holidays/days off and vacations.

I also implemented the graduated rate scale (rates according to pick up time) at the same time too and its helped stabilize not only my income but my work hours/days too.
It took me a long time to feel comfortable enforcing my 52 pay weeks contract....I would be scared to ever go back.....
Reply
craftymissbeth 11:21 AM 10-15-2014
I don't charge for any days I'm closed, either, but I make up for that by having slightly higher rates than the median in my area.

Like BC, when I'm open they pay. When I'm closed, they don't.


I take up to 3 weeks of vacation each year unpaid. I close for some holidays, but all little holidays I stay open and just hope I have a smaller load that day

I really only take off holidays like Thanksgiving, Black Friday (because that's a holiday to me lol), Xmas Eve & Xmas Day (actually, I take off that whole week), and new years day.
Reply
Blackcat31 11:34 AM 10-15-2014
Originally Posted by Littlelearnersdaycare:
Thats actually a really good idea. I might have to sit down and calculate what I would be making if i charged a little bit more per child and then had all holidays and my vacation days unpaid. It may be easier all around.

The only problem with that though is that my daycare is paid for by the day. I do not charge hourly UNLESS their child is in school and coming half days.
The going rate in my area is $35 per day for an infant (under 2) and $30 per day for toddler (over 2)
I don't even charge a daily rate....I charge a weekly flat rate. (I adjust for weeks that aren't 5 days)

Originally Posted by Annalee:
It took me a long time to feel comfortable enforcing my 52 pay weeks contract....I would be scared to ever go back.....
I got tired of having to explain such a simple concept to everyone.

So I just raised my weekly rates and said the actual words "You do NOT have to pay when I am closed"

Now I still make the same yearly income but have no complicated or difficult explaining to do...
Reply
earlystart 01:51 PM 10-15-2014
My first year I gave myself 14 days unpaid vacation and 11 paid holidays a year, but didn't want to use my vacation days because I wasn't willing to lose like $200/day in income. The next year I told the parents instead of raising my rates this year I would be adding 5 paid vacation days. The parents used to have 14 vacation days at 50% off, then I changed it to 10 days at 50% off for the kids who came 5 days, 6 days vacation for kids who come 3 days, 4 days for kids who come 2 days. If I'm closed due to illness I wouldn't charge but luckily I've never had to do that. No one has ever had a problem with my policies.
Reply
KayzKidz 11:19 PM 10-21-2014
Hmmm, This post gets me wondering if I should change my contract!! Right now I have 2 wks vacation written in and certain holiday times that I take off, however, I don't get paid for this time. Maybe I should think about either doing those holidays paid or increasing my price per day for my families.
Reply
taylorw1210 05:56 AM 10-22-2014
I just had to explain this to a new mom who interviewed yesterday. They want to enroll with me, and while mom understands why I have the paid time off I have in my policies, dad is not happy with it.

I take 5 days of paid vacation, but I also give 5 days of unpaid vacation time to my families - and they have the option of using it during my vacation or reserving it for their own. 50% of my families take it during mine, and the other 50% reserve it for their own.

I do not take any personal days or sick days paid.

I do close for the federal holidays, paid, however.
Reply
Blackcat31 06:38 AM 10-22-2014
Originally Posted by taylorw1210:
I just had to explain this to a new mom who interviewed yesterday. They want to enroll with me, and while mom understands why I have the paid time off I have in my policies, dad is not happy with it.

I take 5 days of paid vacation, but I also give 5 days of unpaid vacation time to my families - and they have the option of using it during my vacation or reserving it for their own. 50% of my families take it during mine, and the other 50% reserve it for their own.

I do not take any personal days or sick days paid.

I do close for the federal holidays, paid, however.
IME, it seems that no matter how you do it, if the parents have to pay for even one day that services are not available, they do.not.get.it.

Once I upped my rate and said the words "You do NOT pay for days child care is closed" there was no more discussion, no more questions, no more further explaining, no confused parents and no one that tried to push back.

It's the weirdest thing but I figure it's got to be the way humans simply perceive things. I think it's in our nature to not want to have to do something (in this case pay) for something we do not get. kwim?

Funny thing is, that like I said above I actually make a bit more money over the year but parents don't seem to notice or care. I guess they are willing to pay $5 more per day than pay for a day they don't have services.
Reply
Cat Herder 06:45 AM 10-22-2014
You can add up your annual tuition cost, spread out over 52 weeks, then simply readjust a weekly rate increase over 50 weeks, instead.

It will give you two weeks paid vacation without parents having to "pay" for it at point of service. You sell it as "unpaid".

For those who hate confrontation, this may be a stress reducing remedy.

I take two weeks "unpaid" , and all federal holidays paid.
Reply
Unregistered 06:48 AM 10-22-2014
It is strange, isn't it? I had a family who compared my payment policies to their previous daycare, realized that financially the end result was EXACTLY the same, and still complained every time I had a day off with pay. I have two weeks of vacation at half-pay, plus the "big" holidays.
Reply
SSWonders 07:08 AM 10-22-2014
I don't get paid for my vacations. Occasionally some of the parents I work with have to pay someone else to care for their children when I am not available, so I don't feel right charging.
Reply
taylorw1210 07:09 AM 10-22-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
IME, it seems that no matter how you do it, if the parents have to pay for even one day that services are not available, they do.not.get.it.

Once I upped my rate and said the words "You do NOT pay for days child care is closed" there was no more discussion, no more questions, no more further explaining, no confused parents and no one that tried to push back.

It's the weirdest thing but I figure it's got to be the way humans simply perceive things. I think it's in our nature to not want to have to do something (in this case pay) for something we do not get. kwim?

Funny thing is, that like I said above I actually make a bit more money over the year but parents don't seem to notice or care. I guess they are willing to pay $5 more per day than pay for a day they don't have services.
I don't know how well this would work where I am. I charge the normal weekly rate for my area, and most others around me also have the standard of paid holidays and vaca time. I am not sure about the personal/sick days, though. You can find SAHM's who watch a kid here or there and only charge based on attendance, but they are just that - SAHM's who watch a kid here or there.

I suppose I could offer two different plans to the families, and they could choose which they liked. A higher weekly rate in exchange for no pay on my closings, or a lower weekly rate in exchange for paying during holidays/vacation.
Reply
taylorw1210 07:11 AM 10-22-2014
Originally Posted by SSWonders:
I don't get paid for my vacations. Occasionally some of the parents I work with have to pay someone else to care for their children when I am not available, so I don't feel right charging.
This is why I offer my families a week of their own vacation, and they have the option of using it during my personal vacation. I have a few families who would end up double paying when I went on vaca because they don't have family for a back up.
Reply
originalkat 07:42 AM 10-22-2014
Several years ago I decided to switch to monthly tuition. It is easier to budget, and I do not feel as though I am constantly asking parents for money and cashing checks because they only pay once or twice per month (their choice per their contract). This way, even though I do not charge for my 2 weeks of vacation each year, I still get the same amount each month. I LOVE IT AND WOULD NEVER GO BACK TO WEEKLY PAYMENTS!
This is one section of my contract that explains the breakdown:

Parents are responsible for paying the full tuition each month. Tuition is based on enrollment not attendance. This means that the total amount is payable each month regardless of the child’s attendance or time when the facility is closed. Payment is required for all scheduled holidays and up to five (5) provider personal/sick days as outlined in the parent handbook. The provider will take 10 unpaid vacation days per year.
Tuition is calculated as follows:
$126.00 x 52 Weeks per year =
$6552.00
- $ 126.00 Winter Break
- $ 126.00 Spring or Summer Break
$6300.00
Divided by 12 Months
$525.00 Monthly Tuition

As far as holidays, they are all paid and this is how it is worded in my handbook:

I strive to provide families with an exceptional quality, all-day, year round education program. I try to recognize the needs of working parents and their families. Holidays and breaks are necessary for the well-being of all. Please see the calendar for specific dates. If a holiday falls on a weekend, we will close on either the Friday before or the Monday after. We will be closed on the following paid holidays:
New Year Day
Martin Luther King Jr.
President’s Day
Good Friday
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Veteran’s Day
Thanksgiving and the day after
Christmas Eve
Christmas Day
Reply
LovetheSun 03:41 PM 10-23-2014
20 days!

I take 20 days paid vacation (in a total of four weeks)

But I only take the National holidays (Christmas/New Years is included in the 20days paid vacation).

So we have about 6 closed holidays on top of our 4 weeks.

So far no complain. Few parents to scare again but the one enrolled understands and even tell us we deserve it!

We do live in a nice area but after searching I've notice most daycare do NOT takes Paid vacation (but most Jewish Daycare do) I encourage daycare providers to do so it would be great if it just become a norm
Reply
Hazel 06:42 PM 10-23-2014
I used to give families 1 week payment free for vacation. It worked out for the first 4 years bc I have it in my contract that I take 1 week unpaid vacation per year and everyone I had always took the same week I did. I just had a really great group.... But then those kids all aged out and It got rough. I went through a divorce, became a single income and couldn't take vacations anymore let alone afford others to get a week payment free... So I changed my contract for all new families coming in. I still allow 1 unpaid week for myself but not for the families. No refunds or tuition deductions for absences of any kind. All weeks paid in full. I DO still have my paid holidays in there. They were only the standard ones to start but I changed things around after I notticed an attendance pattern on certain days, like Black Friday. I'd always have ONE family that needed care, everyone else would be off for the day. And it was always bc the parents wanted to go shopping! No more! I am closed the following days (plus 1 week vacation if I choose to use it:
Labor Day
Halloween (close at 4)
Thanksgiving Thursday
Thanksgiving Friday (Black Friday)
Christmas Eve
Christmas Day
New Years eve (close at 4)
New Years day
Memorial Day
July 4th

Also have it in there that if the holiday falls on a weekend I take the Friday before or Monday after as my paid holiday.
It works, usually... I still have people who never really read the contract and look at me like I'm crazy when I say I close early on certain days!
Reply
Lucy 10:20 PM 10-23-2014
I get paid the same amount no matter what. No credits for sickness/holiday/vacation -- whether theirs, mine, or the kids. Same amount all year.

I take 8 vacation days and 8 holidays.
Reply
Tags:paid days, paid days off, paid holidays, paid sick days, paid time off, paid vacations
Reply Up