Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-16-2015, 12:47 PM
midaycare's Avatar
midaycare midaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,659
Default DCG Can't Understand Speech

I have a dcg, 2.5, who is really hard to understand. She has 4 peers here who are the same age and they are all doing much better. Two of her peers receive speech services, too.

Dcg spends some time crying each day because I can't understand her.

Pull up becomes "P up". But it's not particular words or sounds; it's like this with everything. She sounds the same as she did 6 months ago, no real progress. She has an 11 year old brother at home, so she gets lots of practice.

She is very independent and let's her wants and needs be known. Is this too early for any concern?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-16-2015, 12:54 PM
spinnymarie's Avatar
spinnymarie spinnymarie is offline
mac n peas
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 889
Default

Dcg spends some time crying each day because I can't understand her.


That is the point where I become concerned. I'd bring that specific point up with parents.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-16-2015, 01:54 PM
midaycare's Avatar
midaycare midaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnymarie View Post
Dcg spends some time crying each day because I can't understand her.


That is the point where I become concerned. I'd bring that specific point up with parents.
I will do that, thanks
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-16-2015, 02:01 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

honestly I would not be concerned one bit. I have two teens and a 7 year old. My son had major speech delay being the baby of the family because everyone spoke for him. He was very hard to understand until about age 4.

I had to parent my teens to tell them to stop talking for him. The LO would point and make noises still at the age of 3 because my older two would give him anything he wanted.

Seeing that there is a huge age gap with this sibling this could very well be the case.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-16-2015, 03:10 PM
Heidi's Avatar
Heidi Heidi is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,858
Default

My own now-22 year old was the same way at 4. Luckily, he was a very tenacious fellow, and not being understood actually made his LANGUAGE grow, because he'd try 20 different ways to get you to understand him by using different words. At 4, I could understand rouglhly 70% of his words (with some negotiation), and strangers probably 20%.

Sounds like she needs to be referred to speech and language. Since several other kids are already in it, it shouldn't be a big deal to her parents if you say "several of the other kids...."

I always start those conversations with "Have you noticed...."

"Have you noticed that dcg often gets upset when you can't understand her?" Or "Have you noticed that sometimes dcg is hard to understand?" If they sigh in relief that you notice, great. Offer to make a referral.

If they look hesitant, I say something like "I'm STARTING to think maybe we should have her evaluated. I'm going to keep an eye on it for a couple weeks, can you do the same at home?"

Approach again in a week or so....

Some people can't take it all at once, so you have to baby them a little.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-16-2015, 04:50 PM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,926
Default

I don't think it's too early to mention it. I have a dcg who's turning 3 next week, she's had a speech therapist come to dc for a few months now to work with her. She's making *some* improvement but it's still so hard to understand her some days.
Maybe they could talk to their child's pediatrician and see what they think about a speech evaluation?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-16-2015, 05:55 PM
KiddieCahoots's Avatar
KiddieCahoots KiddieCahoots is offline
FCC Educator
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Utopia
Posts: 1,351
Default

Seeing you have speech therapist that come there for 2 other children, can you talk to them about your concerns and see what they advise?
When I have EI come into the child care, they are very open to talking to me about any concerns I have with children that may need help with services.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-16-2015, 06:05 PM
lindap1229's Avatar
lindap1229 lindap1229 is offline
Linda
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Delaware
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by midaycare View Post
I have a dcg, 2.5, who is really hard to understand.
Have they had her hearing evaluated? I have a child (now 6) who couldn't talk until she was 3. It was her hearing. She still doesn't talk quite like the other 6 year olds but she's come a long way!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-16-2015, 07:09 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moorpark CA, Ocean Ridge, FL
Posts: 7,812
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindap1229 View Post
Have they had her hearing evaluated? I have a child (now 6) who couldn't talk until she was 3. It was her hearing. She still doesn't talk quite like the other 6 year olds but she's come a long way!

This what I was going to say. Start with her hearing.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-16-2015, 09:07 PM
midaycare's Avatar
midaycare midaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindap1229 View Post
Have they had her hearing evaluated? I have a child (now 6) who couldn't talk until she was 3. It was her hearing. She still doesn't talk quite like the other 6 year olds but she's come a long way!
Interesting. I hadn't thought of that. It seems like her hearing is okay, but with her missing so many sounds, who knows? Maybe she isn't hearing what everyone else is.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-16-2015, 09:08 PM
midaycare's Avatar
midaycare midaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots View Post
Seeing you have speech therapist that come there for 2 other children, can you talk to them about your concerns and see what they advise?
When I have EI come into the child care, they are very open to talking to me about any concerns I have with children that may need help with services.
I like this. It can give me an idea of whether I'm overly concerned or not.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-16-2015, 09:10 PM
midaycare's Avatar
midaycare midaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
honestly I would not be concerned one bit. I have two teens and a 7 year old. My son had major speech delay being the baby of the family because everyone spoke for him. He was very hard to understand until about age 4.

I had to parent my teens to tell them to stop talking for him. The LO would point and make noises still at the age of 3 because my older two would give him anything he wanted.

Seeing that there is a huge age gap with this sibling this could very well be the case.
I do wonder what her home life is like. She has great parents, but I think she is catered to quite a bit.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-16-2015, 09:11 PM
midaycare's Avatar
midaycare midaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
My own now-22 year old was the same way at 4. Luckily, he was a very tenacious fellow, and not being understood actually made his LANGUAGE grow, because he'd try 20 different ways to get you to understand him by using different words. At 4, I could understand rouglhly 70% of his words (with some negotiation), and strangers probably 20%.

Sounds like she needs to be referred to speech and language. Since several other kids are already in it, it shouldn't be a big deal to her parents if you say "several of the other kids...."

I always start those conversations with "Have you noticed...."

"Have you noticed that dcg often gets upset when you can't understand her?" Or "Have you noticed that sometimes dcg is hard to understand?" If they sigh in relief that you notice, great. Offer to make a referral.

If they look hesitant, I say something like "I'm STARTING to think maybe we should have her evaluated. I'm going to keep an eye on it for a couple weeks, can you do the same at home?"

Approach again in a week or so....

Some people can't take it all at once, so you have to baby them a little.
This is great language to use - thanks!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hearing problems, speech therapist

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:50 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming