Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Getting Sick
tenderhearts 12:05 PM 02-12-2019
Yesterday afternoon I developed a sore throat, no other symptoms, then as the evening went on it got worse and I had a super bad headache. Got up this morning, no headache but throat was still sore but all in all I felt fine and it seems a lot of the kids have had sore throat with a cold over the last couple of weeks but I don't have a cold, just sore throat. However, as today has gone on, I am feeling worse, I feel chills but I don't seem to have a fever but my throat is worse and I have a headache pretty bad and usually all the times I've had strep I get a bad headache that wont go away and a slight nausea. My hubby was diagnosed with strep over the weekend. I didn't think I had strep just because hubby has had many other symptoms that I do not have, cough, cold.
Would you call the parents and have them pick up their kids or would you wait until pick up and give them a heads up that I'll be going to the urgent care and that I may be closed tomorrow?
Ariana 12:10 PM 02-12-2019
I woukd wait and give a heads up at the end of the day. You want that strep test to come back positive for treatment so waiting will help the virus develop as well. Nothing worse than a negative strep test and having to go back a few days later.
tenderhearts 12:13 PM 02-12-2019
That's what I was thinking but I also don't want that parent to get mad and say why didn't you call me sooner and risk their child getting sick because I would call them right away if their child was sick.
knoxmomof2 12:14 PM 02-12-2019
Assuming you close within the next few hours, I would just wait to say anything until pickup and just be careful about germs. Just say you've had a few respiratory symptoms so you're going to get checked out this evening and you'll keep them posted if there's anything serious going on that they'll need to know about. Keep your standards low and have a low key rest of the day, lots of free play! 😊
Ariana 12:16 PM 02-12-2019
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
That's what I was thinking but I also don't want that parent to get mad and say why didn't you call me sooner and risk their child getting sick because I would call them right away if their child was sick.
Both you and your husband were contagious before symptoms so they have no right to get mad. Also you can just tell them that you are now feeling symptoms come on. Totally up to you though if you want to call for pickup.
knoxmomof2 12:23 PM 02-12-2019
You're not 100% sure what it is, you're closing soon (I assume) plus you're an adult who can manage how much you expose others to your germs, as opposed to kids who slather theirs on every nearby surface and don't cough into their elbow nearly as well.

That being said, you know your group better than us - would they prefer you call out and then it ends up being some odd 24 hour thing or would they rather you work through and find out for sure later? I don't have sick time, I just tell them at the interview that they need backup care if I become sick. So, I don't take off unless I absolutely have to because when I need to, I don't want to feel bad about it.

tenderhearts 12:29 PM 02-12-2019
I still have 5 hours to go, however quiet time is in 30 so I'll have an hour and half of rest. I get what you're saying about being able to control the germs. I have not let anyone sit on my lap and get too close. I do know over the last 2 weeks more than half of my dc kids had a sore throat and a cough cold, but they didn't have other symptoms that would exclude them from care, they all acted and played ate fine.
I'm just going to give everyone a heads up upon pick up tonight.
storybookending 12:47 PM 02-12-2019
I had strep a few weekends ago. It’s pretty rare but not impossible for toddler aged kids/babies to catch. It’s way more common with school aged kids. I actually got it from a mom, her child never got it. Nurse line said that’s pretty typical and they’re more carriers at that age. I had never heard that but dr google says it’s true.
tenderhearts 01:07 PM 02-12-2019
My now 21 yr old son use to get it every 4-6 weeks from the time he was 3 until christmas of first grade. His doctor said he would out grow it and just as she was going to have all of us tested to see if one of us was a carrier he didn't get it again. So since Christmas of first grade he's had it maybe 4 times. During that time I would tell my daycare parents but they still chose to bring their kids and no one every got it.
Blackcat31 02:09 PM 02-12-2019
I hope you feel better soon!

I am feeling cruddy myself today.

Hoping it's just a bad case of teething but who knows...

All week I've heard "Hmmm, they weren't like that at home" so I am crossing my fingers that my home is just as magical as the DCK's homes are and I'll suddenly be cured once I get home.
tenderhearts 03:38 PM 02-12-2019
Haha that's funny. Teething seems to be the cause of everything lol.
I don't get sick often so this is rare for me.
Josiegirl 03:40 PM 02-12-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I hope you feel better soon!

I am feeling cruddy myself today.

Hoping it's just a bad case of teething but who knows...

All week I've heard "Hmmm, they weren't like that at home" so I am crossing my fingers that my home is just as magical as the DCK's homes are and I'll suddenly be cured once I get home.
Nah, you must have allergies.
Why is it parents always blame teething and allergies when we all know kids are little walking incubators of germs who love nothing better than to cough and sneeze right in your face??

I hope all you sickos feel better soon! Get better for the weekend!
tenderhearts 08:12 AM 02-14-2019
Well I stuck it out on Tuesday and felt so crappy by 5:30. Upon parents picking up I for warned them that I wasn't feeling well and thought either strep or sinus infection but was going to the urgent care after all kiddos were gone. So that's just what I did and I had strep. I closed yesterday and felt so much better by last night. I have never been more excited to take an antibiotic. Open today not feeling 100% but waaaaay better than Tuesday and half of yesterday.
Ariana 11:11 AM 02-14-2019
Well I stuck it out on Tuesday and felt so crappy by 5:30. Upon parents picking up I for warned them that I wasn't feeling well and thought either strep or sinus infection but was going to the urgent care after all kiddos were gone. So that's just what I did and I had strep. I closed yesterday and felt so much better by last night. I have never been more excited to take an antibiotic. Open today not feeling 100% but waaaaay better than Tuesday and half of yesterday.
Ugh poor you I had strep last year and it was THE WORST!
Pestle 04:37 AM 02-15-2019
I had strep a couple of weeks ago. Now I think I have a sinus infection, but I have a terrible cough and now DD has a cough and is losing her voice (she had strep also) and all three daycare kids here have a wet cough, too.

And the county schools closed today because so many of the teachers are sick.

ICK.
LysesKids 08:52 AM 02-15-2019
Originally Posted by Pestle:
I had strep a couple of weeks ago. Now I think I have a sinus infection, but I have a terrible cough and now DD has a cough and is losing her voice (she had strep also) and all three daycare kids here have a wet cough, too.

And the county schools closed today because so many of the teachers are sick.

ICK.
Yep... 3 weeks ago sinus infection... yesterday I had to leave work early, was going downhill fast; Strep it is. My poor client was so worried I had the flu, she was fussing over me, told me to lay down in the spare room etc etc. She's 85 & in a wheelchair... the last thing this stroke patient needs is a contagious illness. She's such a doll though when it comes to her caregivers. I drive from Blount to Monroe county 3-4 days a week to care for her
tenderhearts 10:51 AM 02-15-2019
Apparently strep is going around here, although when I went to the urgent care the medical assistant said most everyone coming in here thinks they have strep and it's coming back negative so it's probably not, i'm like ok well my husband tested positive here yesterday. The pharmacy said tons of people filling antibiotics for strep so it is going around. Now our 21 yr old son may be getting it, we will see.
Michael 02:20 PM 02-15-2019
I have yet to get sick (knock on wood). I purchased the DAB product several weeks ago and use it multiple times a day. Several of the other members on our products panel also mentioned in their survey that they have not gotten sick yet even though their family members were. I really think this stuff works. The down side is that there really is no way to prove it.
tenderhearts 11:48 AM 02-17-2019
What is a DAB product? I usually never get sick, this is the first time in a few years, other than very minor cold I had last year, and I have yet to get a cold this year. How we got strep I do not know. Only thing I can think of is my hubby has been going to PT, we haven't really gone anywhere much so I think maybe he picked it up at one of his physical therapy appointments.
Blackcat31 06:30 AM 02-18-2019
What is a DAB product? I usually never get sick, this is the first time in a few years, other than very minor cold I had last year, and I have yet to get a cold this year. How we got strep I do not know. Only thing I can think of is my hubby has been going to PT, we haven't really gone anywhere much so I think maybe he picked it up at one of his physical therapy appointments.
https://dabprotects.com/pages/daycare
Msdunny 10:12 AM 02-18-2019
One of my dck and I caught "allergies" from another dck last week. Runny nose and sore throat, although my case was much milder than their's.

I'm sorry you are feeling bad. It is so hard to work when you feel like crud. Here's hoping your afternoon flies by!
Pestle 10:46 AM 02-18-2019
when I went to the urgent care the medical assistant said most everyone coming in here thinks they have strep and it's coming back negative so it's probably not
I went to urgent care, they took a swab, the nurse practitioner came in and said I tested negative for strep, took one look at my throat and said,

"That's strep. They just missed picking it up on the swab."

So maybe whoever's taking the samples at your urgent care is just bad at their job.
Tags:sick policy, sickness
Reply Up