Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Seasoned Provider New State (Colorado)
BabyAngelsCare 05:43 PM 06-26-2012
Hello!

Recently my family and I relocated to Colorado from Texas. I had a home daycare in Texas, I must admit things were easier in Texas and seemed friendlier. I have researched my part for licensing, unfortunately I cannot get licensed due to the home my DHs company provided for us (no fenced yard!) ARGH

But I have discovered that I can still provide care for 1 family at a time. Which is a relief due to the fact that we have grown very used to me bringing in money and my little one loves his friends.

My only concerns are the amount to charge, associations/support groups and the basement!!!

I have called a few providers, none interested in chatting about $$ but very interested in wanting to watch my kids while I get a job ?!?!?

In Texas we were a group, assisted with backup, when full we passed on others information etc - does that not exist in Colorado??

The last issue, the basement! It's not finished and here we have to have permits and all the good stuff, it's a rental and I am not interested in dropping that amount of money on a house that's not mine! But I am wondering if I can fake finish it, foam boards & rugs just enough to cover the concrete, pipes, ac and water heater but at least it would be nicer and allow the space to be used for arts and crafts, playtime and such. Am I insane for thinking about this??? I have kiddos of my own and this house is much smaller than our old one and the kids missed their acreage and bonus rooms.
Michael 11:42 PM 06-26-2012
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! Sorry we missed posting this earlier. I've upgraded your status. You can post freely now.
Blackcat31 07:33 AM 06-27-2012
Originally Posted by BabyAngelsCare:
Hello!

Recently my family and I relocated to Colorado from Texas. I had a home daycare in Texas, I must admit things were easier in Texas and seemed friendlier. I have researched my part for licensing, unfortunately I cannot get licensed due to the home my DHs company provided for us (no fenced yard!) ARGH

But I have discovered that I can still provide care for 1 family at a time. Which is a relief due to the fact that we have grown very used to me bringing in money and my little one loves his friends.

My only concerns are the amount to charge, associations/support groups and the basement!!!

I have called a few providers, none interested in chatting about $$ but very interested in wanting to watch my kids while I get a job ?!?!?

In Texas we were a group, assisted with backup, when full we passed on others information etc - does that not exist in Colorado??

The last issue, the basement! It's not finished and here we have to have permits and all the good stuff, it's a rental and I am not interested in dropping that amount of money on a house that's not mine! But I am wondering if I can fake finish it, foam boards & rugs just enough to cover the concrete, pipes, ac and water heater but at least it would be nicer and allow the space to be used for arts and crafts, playtime and such. Am I insane for thinking about this??? I have kiddos of my own and this house is much smaller than our old one and the kids missed their acreage and bonus rooms.
Welcome to the forum!

As far as providers networking together rather than working against each other, you will find that every area is different and each provider is different.

I am the type who loves to network and share as I personally feel we are all unique in the services and type of care we offer so I don't view my fellow providers as competition but I know a lot of providers in my area that do. But I guess, to each his own.

I am not familiar with licensing laws in Colorado so that is kind of sad that you can't have a daycare without a fenced in yard. We aren't required to have a fenced yard in my state, just adequate supervision which makes complete sense as I would never rely on a fence as a means to supervise kids. I would think it would only be a deterrent.

Is there any way you could possibly have a temporary or non-affixed type of fence that could easily be removed when you move out of the house? Could you possibly talk with the landlord and see about a fence being installed? Maybe he might want one but just hasn't had the time or money to do so.

I am not sure if there are other members on the forum from Colorado or not but maybe if there is, one of them will see your post and help you out.

Good luck with everything and stick around! You will be surprised at how supportive, helpful and fun the board members are here!
Meeko 08:01 AM 06-27-2012
All depends on your state's rules as far as the basement goes.

I started out doing day care many eons ago on Altus Air Force Base in Oklahoma. I didn't use my garage, but some ladies did. They did a general fix up to cover walls etc, but because it's government housing (and like a rental), they couldn't make any permanent changes, nor did they want to on a home that wasn't their own. They just got inventive which was OK with the base and licensing as long as it was safe/met fire requirements etc.
BabyAngelsCare 12:21 PM 06-28-2012
Thank you!!!

As far as the yard there isn't a place for it, it houses are way to close to each other and although I have the largest area the city sidewalk cuts it in half! LOL

I do totally agree with you on the fenced in part, it's not like I'm going to leave them in the yard and stay inside watching tv. In my personal opinion the rules around here are a tad absurd! You have to have a permit, you have to notify all neighbors within 500 ft on all sides that you intend to open a daycare and a few other things .... It all seems very strange to me. LOL

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Welcome to the forum!

As far as providers networking together rather than working against each other, you will find that every area is different and each provider is different.

I am the type who loves to network and share as I personally feel we are all unique in the services and type of care we offer so I don't view my fellow providers as competition but I know a lot of providers in my area that do. But I guess, to each his own.

I am not familiar with licensing laws in Colorado so that is kind of sad that you can't have a daycare without a fenced in yard. We aren't required to have a fenced yard in my state, just adequate supervision which makes complete sense as I would never rely on a fence as a means to supervise kids. I would think it would only be a deterrent.

Is there any way you could possibly have a temporary or non-affixed type of fence that could easily be removed when you move out of the house? Could you possibly talk with the landlord and see about a fence being installed? Maybe he might want one but just hasn't had the time or money to do so.

I am not sure if there are other members on the forum from Colorado or not but maybe if there is, one of them will see your post and help you out.

Good luck with everything and stick around! You will be surprised at how supportive, helpful and fun the board members are here!

BabyAngelsCare 12:23 PM 06-28-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
All depends on your state's rules as far as the basement goes.

I started out doing day care many eons ago on Altus Air Force Base in Oklahoma. I didn't use my garage, but some ladies did. They did a general fix up to cover walls etc, but because it's government housing (and like a rental), they couldn't make any permanent changes, nor did they want to on a home that wasn't their own. They just got inventive which was OK with the base and licensing as long as it was safe/met fire requirements etc.
That's a good point!! Hubby looked at it last night and suggested a few options. My thought is dcks or not I still need a place for mine to hang out!!! LOL
Tags:basement, colorado, rates
Reply Up