Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Breast Fed Baby Won't Take Bottle
JackandJill 07:15 AM 04-12-2016
Hi! I have new little one, this is her second week. She will not take a bottle from me. Any tips or tricks? Parents are aware of the situation, and she take a bottle from dad when he is home with her. I know they say babies won't starve themselves, but its still makes for a less than fun day!
NightOwl 07:42 AM 04-12-2016
Swaddle her and hold her in a position as if you were breastfeeding, kind of turned toward your body instead of just laying in your arms. It's awkward getting the bottle in there in that position, but it's always worked for me with a little practice.
NightOwl 07:44 AM 04-12-2016
And make sure the milk is nice and warm. Remember it's body temp when coming from mom, so at least 98 degrees.
sleepinghart 07:55 AM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by JackandJill:
Hi! I have new little one, this is her second week. She will not take a bottle from me. Any tips or tricks? Parents are aware of the situation, and she take a bottle from dad when he is home with her. I know they say babies won't starve themselves, but its still makes for a less than fun day!
~Hi! Have you personally viewed mom/dad giving her a bottle? I have found that this is good practice any time a breastfed baby starts with you- Sometime before their first day of care, have mom/dad bring a bottle with them and show you how baby takes the bottle from them. Sorry I don't have any other tips to give you for the situation now as it stands, but I did want to share that.
Thriftylady 08:10 AM 04-12-2016
I agree, I want to see BF babies take a bottle from someone and possibly take one from me before I will accept into care. Most states to require infants to be fed "at will" (when they are hungry). If you can't get them to take a bottle to do that, it could be considered withholding food. I don't offer on site BF, so they have to be able to take a bottle to come here. Depending on age, would dictate how long I would let a child cry to be fed, before I called for pick up. A young infant I wouldn't allow to go nearly as long naturally.
JackandJill 08:12 AM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by sleepinghart:
~Hi! Have you personally viewed mom/dad giving her a bottle? I have found that this is good practice any time a breastfed baby starts with you- Sometime before their first day of care, have mom/dad bring a bottle with them and show you how baby takes the bottle from them. Sorry I don't have any other tips to give you for the situation now as it stands, but I did want to share that.
That's a great idea! So common sense I will ask dad at pick up today, thank you!
Thriftylady 08:28 AM 04-12-2016
That's a great idea! So common sense I will ask dad at pick up today, thank you!
I would ask him to sit down and feed baby.
Blackcat31 09:09 AM 04-12-2016
My written policies for infants state that I will not keep a baby that will not eat for more than 3 hours. If the child refuses the bottle and is hungry, I will call for pick up.

I cannot force a child to eat and require children to be proficient using a bottle BEFORE I will agree to keep them longer than 3 hours.
JackandJill 11:50 AM 04-12-2016
I talked with mom at pick up about really getting her used to taking a bottle. During the interview I was told she had taken a bottle, and did a combination of bottle and breast feeding. I know people say babies will make up for it by nursing more at night, but I can't imagine going 6-8 hours without eating five days a week at 3 months is healthy. I am wondering how long I should continue care if she isn't eating at all during the day. This is her second week with me.
Thriftylady 11:54 AM 04-12-2016
I talked with mom at pick up about really getting her used to taking a bottle. During the interview I was told she had taken a bottle, and did a combination of bottle and breast feeding. I know people say babies will make up for it by nursing more at night, but I can't imagine going 6-8 hours without eating five days a week at 3 months is healthy. I am wondering how long I should continue care if she isn't eating at all during the day. This is her second week with me.
How does she act in care? Is she crying to be fed or is she happy?
LysesKids 11:55 AM 04-12-2016
Suggest that someone other than mom or dad feed the bottle.... I require parents to start bottle feeding minimum of 2 weeks in advance & tell them have a good friend do it. It's useless to have mom do it because baby knows they can get the boob if they refuse
JackandJill 12:07 PM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
How does she act in care? Is she crying to be fed or is she happy?

Its mix, two days last week she slept a lot, the other days she gets pretty upset after being here a few hours.
thrivingchildcarecom 12:32 PM 04-12-2016
I had this problem with a family once. I found out that they were only breast feeding at home even though I require them to help the baby transition to child care by offering the bottle for some feedings at home as well. I was very uncomfortable because the baby was not eating the entire 10 hours he was in child care.

Anyway, I wound up having to really come down on the parents by requesting that they must offer the bottle at home for some feedings and not just the breast all the time. Otherwise, mom was going to need to hightail it over to the child care at lunch and feed the baby. For some reason, they seemed to realize that was not as feasible so they began offering the bottle more and finally the baby would accept it from us here.

Hope that helped.
JackandJill 01:00 PM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by thrivingchildcarecom:
I had this problem with a family once. I found out that they were only breast feeding at home even though I require them to help the baby transition to child care by offering the bottle for some feedings at home as well. I was very uncomfortable because the baby was not eating the entire 10 hours he was in child care.

Anyway, I wound up having to really come down on the parents by requesting that they must offer the bottle at home for some feedings and not just the breast all the time. Otherwise, mom was going to need to hightail it over to the child care at lunch and feed the baby. For some reason, they seemed to realize that was not as feasible so they began offering the bottle more and finally the baby would accept it from us here.

Hope that helped.
This is a good idea, Thanks!
lovemykidstoo 02:15 PM 04-12-2016
Oh this is such an issue with me right now. I have 2 babies. One is 6 months and the other is 3 months. The 6 month old has this problem big time and I talked to mom and dad daily about it. Finally like this week, the little girl has come around and will take the bottle for me. I've had her for a couple of months. She was crabbier than all get outs for me. Funny thing is right now she's up half the time because she "wants to be held to sleep" and cries. Here she sleeps all day because she was up half the night. So, they're reliving the crying that I dealt with for the first 2 months lol! Shame on me, but it makes me smile haha!

The 3 month old really is a problem. Mom even commented to me about the other baby not getting a bottle at home and how that must be hard on me and then sends me hers now. UGH. This baby is twice as bad and absolutely refuses and screams! Daddy is a male chauvonist and I don't think has ever given her a bottle.
LovingLife 06:06 PM 04-12-2016
Maybe try to have a blanket or something that smells like Mom to put between you and baby to help the baby relax. Or, the exact opposite may work, so they don't smell anything remotely like Mom and may go ahead and take the bottle. I've seen both situations, usually within a week or two, the blanket is not needed and baby has gotten used to taking a bottle.
Annalee 06:25 PM 04-12-2016
No matter how hard a provider tries, it is near impossible to get a child to take a bottle if the parents do not cooperate in this process.
JackandJill 07:07 PM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by Annalee:
No matter how hard a provider tries, it is near impossible to get a child to take a bottle if the parents do not cooperate in this process.
The parents are great, I like the family a lot, I am hoping they can make the changes at home to get her adjusted! Thanks for all advice and support ladies
LindseyA 06:08 AM 04-13-2016
Just get the parents on board. In any way possible. Guilt, inconvenience, whatever. They need to understand that they are doing their baby a disservice by not introducing the bottle. It's easy for them to SAY baby takes a bottle at home, even when they don't and just have you deal with it.
sleepinghart 06:22 AM 04-13-2016
(^bolding^ by me)
~And I bet you anything that is not so(..along with the tale of her taking a bottle at home from dad too). I have heard a lot of success stories with using one of mom's shirts during feeding, so I would maybe have her bring one in and try that.

~In the future, before accepting a bf baby, make mom/dad bring in a bottle and show you, not tell you but show you that yes the child indeed will accept a bottle. If they can't, won't or refuse to do so for whatever reason(..and they will have some good ones), it is most likely, if not guaranteed, that they know good & well the baby won't take it- And I would then, in turn, refuse care(not accept them as clients). Taking this extra screening step will save you so much time, money & aggravation in the future.

~As far as how long you should continue care with her not eating, I am not sure and a lot of it probably depends on the particular regs in your specific state. I do know that the parents are most likely not going to do anything at all until the situation gets dire for them. Can any of you more experienced in this area providers help her out on this question because I'm curious too...how long should she continue care if there is no improvement do you think?
childcaremom 06:56 AM 04-13-2016
Originally Posted by sleepinghart:
(^bolding^ by me)
~And I bet you anything that is not so(..along with the tale of her taking a bottle at home from dad too). I have heard a lot of success stories with using one of mom's shirts during feeding, so I would maybe have her bring one in and try that.

~In the future, before accepting a bf baby, make mom/dad bring in a bottle and show you, not tell you but show you that yes the child indeed will accept a bottle. If they can't, won't or refuse to do so for whatever reason(..and they will have some good ones), it is most likely, if not guaranteed, that they know good & well the baby won't take it- And I would then, in turn, refuse care(not accept them as clients). Taking this extra screening step will save you so much time, money & aggravation in the future.

~As far as how long you should continue care with her not eating, I am not sure and a lot of it probably depends on the particular regs in your specific state. I do know that the parents are most likely not going to do anything at all until the situation gets dire for them. Can any of you more experienced in this area providers help her out on this question because I'm curious too...how long should she continue care if there is no improvement do you think?
This is good advice. I've seen similar advice before.

I don't take infants but would not keep a child in my care who does not eat or drink. It is one of my key observation areas to see how well a child is adjusting to care.
hope 07:11 AM 04-13-2016
I would not let a baby go more than 3 or 4 hours without a feeding. Especially if they are breast feed. Breast milk is digested quickly. There is so much risk for dehydration and malnurishment. I would call for pick up after the 3 or 4 hours if the baby would not take the bottle. It may inconvenience the parents or even make them term, but nothing should take priority over the baby's health. I would think going 10 hours a day without a feeding would be against all regulations.
KIDZRMYBIZ 10:58 AM 04-13-2016
Here's my 2 cents:

Almost all of my BF babies start dc hating that bottle. Doesn't matter what I say to DCM and DCD. It takes just the first few days of the first few weeks, then all is well. Annoying, but life goes on. Until...my last BF baby. I could barely get 2 ounces in her in a 9.5 hour day. Over the course of her first year, it NEVER changed. So many convos with DCM and DCD about it (DCD was honest). She never had a bottle at home, and the few times they tried what they described was ludicrious (think hamster with it's water bottle). This little girl was just as bad about a cup. But now, at 14mo, she finally will use a cup on her own, although it takes her about 20-25min to drink 6 oz.

After that experience, I will never allow that to happen again. I would suggest you set a goal of baby taking so many ounces per feeding per day, and if the parents don't help get the kid with the program, they can find another daycare. If your kiddo ends up being like my last one here, it is not worth the regular weekly payment.
hope 04:52 AM 04-14-2016
http://www.aol.com/article/2016/04/1...care/21343525/

This is what I would be afraid of. I would not agree to feeding a baby with a syringe. I have my own babies when they were ill, but they were mine and I was in constant contact with their pediatrition. How do we as providers know when the baby was really feed last? If a baby is refusing a bottle we can try many tricks to help the situation, but the parent needs to step in after 3 hours to feed. Otherwise things can go downhill really fast.
JackandJill 04:57 AM 04-14-2016
I have made an arrangement with parents that someone will have to come feed after 3/4 hours in care without a bottle. I feel like they understand my concerns, and hopefully the new arrangement will motivate them to really get her bottle trained (and not just leave the daycare!!)
Thriftylady 05:24 AM 04-14-2016
I have made an arrangement with parents that someone will have to come feed after 3/4 hours in care without a bottle. I feel like they understand my concerns, and hopefully the new arrangement will motivate them to really get her bottle trained (and not just leave the daycare!!)
Even if they leave the daycare, you have to make sure you keep your liability risk down.
hope 05:47 AM 04-14-2016
I know it's hard and you may loose them but you did the right thing for the baby. Hopefully the parents will see that you truly care for the well being of their child.
lovemykidstoo 05:48 AM 04-14-2016
I've been following this thread because of my own baby situation that I explained above. The 3 month old that I wrote about I was in the middle of trying to give her a bottle yesterday and mom came to get her. She heard her screaming and I asked her if she wanted to try. Mom sat in the chair and gave her the bottle and the little you know what didn't give her any problem at all lol. So if mom can give her the bottle just fine, what do you do? Grandma and grandpa didn't have any luck either and watched her last Friday and called her to come and get the baby.
hope 06:17 AM 04-14-2016
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I've been following this thread because of my own baby situation that I explained above. The 3 month old that I wrote about I was in the middle of trying to give her a bottle yesterday and mom came to get her. She heard her screaming and I asked her if she wanted to try. Mom sat in the chair and gave her the bottle and the little you know what didn't give her any problem at all lol. So if mom can give her the bottle just fine, what do you do? Grandma and grandpa didn't have any luck either and watched her last Friday and called her to come and get the baby.
Wow, that's a hard one. At least dcm knew grandparents were having a hard time also so it wasn't just you! I would ask dcm to have grandparents over on weekends and have all of them give the bottle along with dcd. Ask her to step back for the weekend and hopefully the baby would give in. Hoping someone else here has better advice.
lovemykidstoo 06:20 AM 04-14-2016
Originally Posted by hope:
Wow, that's a hard one. At least dcm knew grandparents were having a hard time also so it wasn't just you! I would ask dcm to have grandparents over on weekends and have all of them give the bottle along with dcd. Ask her to step back for the weekend and hopefully the baby would give in. Hoping someone else here has better advice.
I know that dad works until like 700 every night so he rarely gives her a bottle, but she said when they've gone out somewhere that he will give her a bottle out and about and she takes it fine. UGH
sleepinghart 06:49 AM 04-14-2016
~...Great! You made a very good decision! ..And now they(the parents)know you're serious!
Tags:breast to bottle, transitioning - breast to bottle
Reply Up