Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Illegally Unlicensed...
Unregistered 09:49 AM 06-15-2018
I tried to get in contact with the state, but my call kept dropping. I know of someone who is operating illegally unlicensed and had previously been shut down by the state. I'm wondering if there are any criminal (i.e. jail time) that can occur if reported? What repercussions? I live on the east side of Michigan.
Cat Herder 10:14 AM 06-15-2018
There is an online form. https://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601...3044--,00.html

Penalties depend on the political climate, as in anything else.
Unregistered 11:30 AM 06-15-2018
There is federal privacy law that says you can not give out any information to ANYONE under the age of 18 without parental consent...without a warrant. Under the 4 amendment you do not have to allow ANYONE on you property without a warrant..not the police ..the state.or anyone under contract with the state. That said...unless someone has a warrant...you do not have to talk to them..AT ALL. If they ask you if you are operating a daycare...just say no. If they ask who the children are there...you cannot cannot violate federal privacy law to give the info. Knowledge is power!!!
Unregistered 11:39 AM 06-15-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
There is an online form. https://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601...3044--,00.html

Penalties depend on the political climate, as in anything else.
I just don't want to put someone in jail.
Unregistered 11:42 AM 06-15-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
There is federal privacy law that says you can not give out any information to ANYONE under the age of 18 without parental consent...without a warrant. Under the 4 amendment you do not have to allow ANYONE on you property without a warrant..not the police ..the state.or anyone under contract with the state. That said...unless someone has a warrant...you do not have to talk to them..AT ALL. If they ask you if you are operating a daycare...just say no. If they ask who the children are there...you cannot cannot violate federal privacy law to give the info. Knowledge is power!!!
Hmmm....thanks for the tips but I think it's the desire of all on this forum to operate legally.
Cat Herder 11:48 AM 06-15-2018
In my state, it takes two denials of entry before a warrant is issued.

In some states, warrants are easier to obtain. In others, it is harder.

In some states, this is a misdemeanor. In others, it is a felony.
Pestle 01:20 PM 06-15-2018
First priority? Keep children safe. I'm glad you're working to report the situation. It's good that you're concerned for this illegal provider, but the provider is an adult who is choosing actions that the state believes could endanger children. It's hard to make a living, yes, but some things are sacred and shouldn't be compromised, and children rank #1 on that list.
Cat Herder 01:39 PM 06-15-2018
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
284878 01:23 AM 06-16-2018
Yes the law says a fine and or jail time but so does the shoplifting law. Most get off with a warning unless this is not their first offense. (Like they have been caught and warned before)

Go here and to report the daycare.
https://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601...3044--,00.html
Leigh 10:15 AM 06-16-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Which law is this, specifically? I can't find it when googling.
Tags:illegal providers
Reply Up