Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT - But Could Use Some Opinions
gbcc 01:32 PM 06-22-2010
I am a really nice person and get along with almost everyone. There are very few people that I just don't like or can't stand. I try very hard to see the good in everyone. However, a good friend of mine has a family member who is just so obnoxious I can't stand to be around her. She is a constant complainer, thinks people should accomodate her needs, interupts my conversations with my friend with almost every sentence I say, and is just plain rude. I don't like rude people and I find it embarassing to be in public with her. Not to mention she has insulted me before.

I tried to put up with her for the sake of my friendship but it makes me not want to hang out with my friend. My friend is very close to this person so I don't want to make my friend angry with me or defensive. They are together constantly. How do I either tolerate the rude remarks or tell my friend that honestly I just don't like this person and would prefer she not tag along? I don't want to hurt anyones feelings and I don't want to hurt the friendship but this person is not a good example for my children nor my spirit. I also don't feel I should be put in a situation where I am being insulted or my children are hearing me be insulted.
MN Mom 02:21 PM 06-22-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
I am a really nice person and get along with almost everyone. There are very few people that I just don't like or can't stand. I try very hard to see the good in everyone. However, a good friend of mine has a family member who is just so obnoxious I can't stand to be around her. She is a constant complainer, thinks people should accomodate her needs, interupts my conversations with my friend with almost every sentence I say, and is just plain rude. I don't like rude people and I find it embarassing to be in public with her. Not to mention she has insulted me before.

I tried to put up with her for the sake of my friendship but it makes me not want to hang out with my friend. My friend is very close to this person so I don't want to make my friend angry with me or defensive. They are together constantly. How do I either tolerate the rude remarks or tell my friend that honestly I just don't like this person and would prefer she not tag along? I don't want to hurt anyones feelings and I don't want to hurt the friendship but this person is not a good example for my children nor my spirit. I also don't feel I should be put in a situation where I am being insulted or my children are hearing me be insulted.
People like this take a drain on us, both physically and emotionally. It's not worth the stress. I'd say, in this case, honesty is the best policy. If your friend is truly a good friend, she'll understand and accommodate your needs. If not, is she really THAT good of a friend? Good Luck!!!
originalkat 02:29 PM 06-22-2010
Originally Posted by MN Mom:
People like this take a drain on us, both physically and emotionally. It's not worth the stress. I'd say, in this case, honesty is the best policy. If your friend is truly a good friend, she'll understand and accommodate your needs. If not, is she really THAT good of a friend? Good Luck!!!
I agree. I would not spend time with a person like that. Just be honest with your friend. Hopefully she will understand.
momofboys 06:37 PM 06-22-2010
I would have a heart-to-heart with your friend & and ask her if she has ever noticed how her relative insults you & is obnoxious in your presence. Ask her if she normally acts this way or is it just around you? Let her know it bothers you & tends to make you not want to spend time with her. I guess you need to bring it up to her & see how she reacts. A real friend with work things out.
Tags:stress
Reply Up