Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Permission to Photograph
Abigail 08:27 PM 01-25-2011
What is a better way to put this? This is what is in my handbook.

"Permission to Share Information
My first priority is to protect your child’s health and safety. To ensure that I am operating with your full understanding and agreement, I have a form that needs to be signed by the parent to grant me permission to photograph your child."

Than again half way down the page is my list of records for each child. Should I just take out the whole permission to share information and just have my list of records list that permission to photograph like this:

"My Records for Your Child
I will keep the following records for each child:
• phone numbers for child’s parents, doctor, dentist, and emergency contacts
• a list of the persons authorized to drop off and pick up the child
• any special instructions from the child’s parent/guardian
• immunization records
• a signed consent form to obtain emergency medical care or emergency dental treatment
• permission to photograph
• written permission to transport the child

You must notify me as soon as possible if any of this information needs to be updated.
QualiTcare 08:49 PM 01-25-2011
i wouldn't say i have a form that "needs" to be signed. i would say something like "i have a form that grants me permission to photograph your child. if you do not wish for your child to be photographed....etc, etc."

some people don't care for their child to be photographed, but with the internet they want to know how the photographs might be used, etc. i just think the word "needs" makes it sounds like they have no choice and i assume they do.
misol 08:56 PM 01-25-2011
My contract just says that your child may included in photos connected with daycare name unless you indicate otherwise in writing.
Abigail 09:25 PM 01-25-2011
I am going to create a Permission to Photograph form and have a few basic options. I will not put pictures on the internet. The only things I would want to do is take group pictures and random pictures to display in my daycare space and in a photobook for the daycare. I'm just not sure how or where to say this because it will all be in a different form, but it's not required.
SilverSabre25 04:57 AM 01-26-2011
If you're interested, I have a photo release form made up already.

Honestly, I think that just having it in the list of records you keep is probably good enough.
marniewon 05:51 AM 01-26-2011
I have an "all in one" form for photos, diaper cream, sunscreen and field trips. Each "permission" is a paragraph with a place to put child's name and signature. For the photos paragraph, it says:

Photo Release

I authorize Marnie W to take pictures of my child ___________________ and to use for:

(please circle all that apply)

Sharing with me

Sharing in the newsletter

To use for advertising (no names will ever be posted)

To be posted on the website (no names will ever be posted)

Signed: ______________________________________

I've only had one person choose "sharing with me" option - the rest are okay with me putting pics on my website, or sharing with other parents (like a group photo or whatever).
missnikki 06:28 AM 01-26-2011
I have this in my handbook:

PHOTOGRAPHS/ VIDEOS
At any time in our program, we may take photographs or videos of the children in our care during activities and on field trips. These photos may be used in advertising and promoting our programs for future use. We will never sell or permit any entity other than (program name) to use such photos. Please notify the Program Director if you have any concerns/questions regarding our imaging policy.

I have one parent who is absolutely against it, because she is a single mom and a Federal parole officer and is afraid of a convict's retribution against her family...I am MORE than happy to keep that kid out of the mix!
snbauser 09:38 AM 01-26-2011
I have a separate permission slip that allows them to select what I am allowed to photograph for. They can sign all of them or just a few. Their choice. There are options for crafts, sharing with enrolled families, advertising, etc.
Abigail 01:19 PM 01-26-2011
What are the different options I should offer for what I would do with the photographs? I am usually really slow at getting around to pictures anyways, but incase I actually do.
1. To be displayed in the daycare area for the children to see
2. To be placed in the daycare photobook for memories
3. ????? I'm not sure what else to use pictures for. I personally would want every parent to say yes to displaying the pictures in the daycare area because it's actually recommended by licensing so children can identify themselves and name their friends, etc.

So should I just take out the entire section on "Permission to Photograph" from the handbook because it will be a separate form anyways? Where or how much of it do I mention that the form is included in my files?
missnikki 01:53 PM 01-26-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
What are the different options I should offer for what I would do with the photographs? I am usually really slow at getting around to pictures anyways, but incase I actually do.
1. To be displayed in the daycare area for the children to see
2. To be placed in the daycare photobook for memories
3. ????? I'm not sure what else to use pictures for. I personally would want every parent to say yes to displaying the pictures in the daycare area because it's actually recommended by licensing so children can identify themselves and name their friends, etc.

So should I just take out the entire section on "Permission to Photograph" from the handbook because it will be a separate form anyways? Where or how much of it do I mention that the form is included in my files?
My opinion is, you don't 'offer' separate choices for pics. You put it in your handbook as a general statement that it can/will occur, and if they don;t want you to use it they need to let you know. Don't make it too difficult for them- yo know how much parents actually looooove paperwork! haha
Abigail 01:56 PM 01-26-2011
So I shouldn't have a separate form for permission at all and just state in the handbook that photographs may be taken and if you wish your child not be photographed you must give me a written note? This is difficult for me to think about, LOL, I'm making it easy for the parents. I'm even trying to think of pictures to add to my handbook to make it more user-friendly instead of pages and pages of writing.
missnikki 02:06 PM 01-26-2011
So I shouldn't have a separate form for permission at all and just state in the handbook that photographs may be taken and if you wish your child not be photographed you must give me a written note? This is difficult for me to think about, LOL, I'm making it easy for the parents. I'm even trying to think of pictures to add to my handbook to make it more user-friendly instead of pages and pages of writing.
Well, my handbook covers everything once. EVERYTHING. If at the end of it all, there is a piece of paper with names, numbers, hours, rate and term of service that they sign saying "I have received and read the 2011 daycare parent handbook and agree to abide by all policies as outlined in therein. Signed, _____________" then you're good. Easy peezy, and you are covered, and they know where to go with questions, and you have one place to point to when answering questions, and there are not multiple forms to hassle with when updating, the reasons go on and on for me.

Bottom line: Long handbook, one signature. If they don't want their child's picture, they can tell you- don't make more work for yourself by giving them a picture menu to pick from.
QualiTcare 05:45 PM 01-26-2011
i agree the photograph statement should be a separate form. you don't have to list what they would be used for - just get permission to photograph and answer questions verbally if they ask or just use a general term on the form like "for personal use."

i think putting it in the handbook (while normally it wouldn't be a problem) would be a pain if/when there's a parent who does NOT want their child photographed. if it's in the handbook and they don't want pictures taken - they can't sign at the end because their signature would be saying they agree to have photos taken. you can say, "well if they don't agree to my policies they won't be a client," but most people wouldn't pass up a child bc their parents don't want pictures. i guess you could take that part out and print another one for them, but i think it would be easier to have it on a page of its own with its own signature space stapled or binded in with the handbook.
Abigail 11:17 PM 01-26-2011
Too many options

As long as I can keep it all organized. I just can't decide on the wording or where in my handbook it would fit best. I have seen FIVE local handbooks and NOT EVEN ONE has any details like mine. It's sad because I'm going above and beyond and am getting stuck on something as silly as being able to take pictures. LOL It would be easy enough for me to create a seperate form, yes, but what do I say on the form?
missnikki 06:25 AM 01-27-2011
I think you all are making too much work for yourself. I vote for a paragraph in the handbook. If a parent comes to you with a concern, you just tell them " I am happy to accommodate your request. Let me make a note on your contract." And then take the contract, and write NO PICS on it.

Added note:
You might want to keep an information sheet. It includes allergies, med concerns, no pics requests, other oddball facts that are unique to each child... In case of emergency/ substitute/ whatever. Just a quick reference page that as the provider you have etched into your brain but sets the parents at ease knowing you keep those concerns on the front burner.

Just a thought.
Abigail 10:07 PM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by missnikki:
I think you all are making too much work for yourself. I vote for a paragraph in the handbook. If a parent comes to you with a concern, you just tell them " I am happy to accommodate your request. Let me make a note on your contract." And then take the contract, and write NO PICS on it.

Added note:
You might want to keep an information sheet. It includes allergies, med concerns, no pics requests, other oddball facts that are unique to each child... In case of emergency/ substitute/ whatever. Just a quick reference page that as the provider you have etched into your brain but sets the parents at ease knowing you keep those concerns on the front burner.

Just a thought.
Should this reference page be something that is typed and just updated as needed? Do I put all the children's specifics on it or one per child? What if a child doesn't have anything specific outside the basic policies? I do believe I am making this too difficult. I guess I would be fine with having a parent write a note stating "Do not take pictures or post pictures of my child" and saving that in their file. I am typing all my contracts instead of having fill-in-the-blanks so I can see this way would be more annoying to retype something if they decided not to take pictures. Maybe just require a separate sheet with the written request on it instead of adding it to the contract or should it really be added to the contract? Sorry for all the questions!
missnikki 06:53 AM 02-08-2011
Should this reference page be something that is typed and just updated as needed? Do I put all the children's specifics on it or one per child? What if a child doesn't have anything specific outside the basic policies? I do believe I am making this too difficult. I guess I would be fine with having a parent write a note stating "Do not take pictures or post pictures of my child" and saving that in their file. I am typing all my contracts instead of having fill-in-the-blanks so I can see this way would be more annoying to retype something if they decided not to take pictures. Maybe just require a separate sheet with the written request on it instead of adding it to the contract or should it really be added to the contract? Sorry for all the questions!
About the 'reference sheet':
As for me, right now I have around 31 kids I am responsible for at various times in my day. I just keep a 'cheat sheet' with me, nothing fancy. I keep it behind the roll sheet so that it's always with me. It's only for those kids with unique requests or needs. I just highlight the kids' name,and highlighted in the same color on the roll sheet, and a brief description of the unusual circumstance- No Pics, allergic to nuts and pennicillin, athsma, meds in fridge, etc...whatever the case may be. It's more for ME and my sanity than anything, I am the type to remember things if I have physically written them down at some point. I just refer to it now and then, and if a parent tells me something specific to watch out for or about the kids' day, I jot it down and make a little notation on the roll sheet so I know there's a 'red flag' on them for the day. After a while, you won't forget the special issues, but it really is just a basic quick reference guide to the basic stuff you need to know about particular kids in your care and is not for anyone else's eyes (unless you have other staff or a sub now and then.) The parents don't need to know your system, they just liket o hear you have one when they tell you something important, KWIM?

As far as what to do with the no pics request... I just write in red sharpie on the contract "NO PICS", so the parent sees that I have it notated, then file it away. That info goes on my personal reference sheet, since it is a unique circumstance to that child.

So I guess it won't matter if you print it out or handwrite it or keep an electronic file on your computer...it just matters that you have the basic unique info easily accessible one way or another. Revise as often as you want. Cross it out, type a new one, whatever works for you.
lvt77 07:14 AM 02-08-2011
I dont tell them that they need to sign in, i just add it to the publication folder that I give them when they come to their second interview. It has two choices 1. accept 2. decline.
Tags:agreement, form, paper, permission, photograph
Reply Up