Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just Wanted To Share My New Daycare Furniture
MarinaVanessa 09:03 PM 06-22-2013
My DH built me these awesome furniture additions for my daycare and I finished setting them all up and I'm so excited!

He built me a table to replace the old wicker patio coffee table that the kids were using as a table for the dramatic play area and he made it so that they can use it for different things. They can now use it as a kitchen table or a business counter (market, post office etc). He also built me a little side table that I crammed in the corner (you can barely see it). The kids sometimes went in the corner so this will help out a lot.

He also built me a writing desk with shelving so now I have a writing center! I drew up a quick sketch of it and told him what I wanted to store in it and he took care of the rest. All three pieces measure 18" from the floor (the writing part of the desk is 18" and the rest is of course taller) so it's perfect for the 2yo's and my DD who is 8yo can even use it, I LOVE the versatility.

I just wanted to gloat, my friends just don't get it ... I knew you ladies would .

Starburst 09:17 PM 06-22-2013
That's awesome! I would love to be able to make my own custom daycare furniture.
TheGoodLife 09:27 PM 06-22-2013
Awesome, what a talented hubby you have!!! (And an adorable DD, as well) Enjoy the new furniture (and I can see why you wanted to fill that corner- just the right size for some kiddos I bet )
MamaBearCanada 03:50 AM 06-23-2013
I love it! It would be sooooo great to have access to custom furniture
Josiegirl 04:18 AM 06-23-2013
I want! I want!
Tell hubby job well done!
You have a very nice set-up.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:00 AM 06-23-2013
That is awesome!

countrymom 05:20 AM 06-23-2013
I love the writing desk.
Laurel 06:23 AM 06-23-2013
Those are great!

I think you mentioned one time that this was a back patio. I have a back patio that needs to be repaired and re-screened. Some people here make it into a room but we don't want to because it would make the house dark. If I put things out there though, after not too long, they get dusty/dirty from whatever blows around. I can't tell if by your play kitchen that is a screen or a sliding glass door. How do you keep outdoor things clean?

Thanks, Laurel
snbauser 06:38 AM 06-23-2013
They look awesome!! Are they sealed so you can clean them easily? I want a writing center like that LOL!
Lyss 08:04 AM 06-23-2013
Awesome! I love that writing desk!

Now I have more projects to add to DH's list!
Cradle2crayons 09:06 AM 06-23-2013
Showing this to my hubby lol.

He used to work commercial construction when we met and can custom build anything. Three years ago we got a free FEMA camper from a friend. We stripped it down to the axels literally and re built it all, from the ground up. From the outside it looks like any other camper. From the inside its custom just for us. We love it!!

I DEFINATELY need some new daycare furniture and I have a hard time sketching out what I want to show him but these pictures are perfect!!

He leaves for out of state Ina few days but when he comes back he's going to be very busy lol
jenn 11:31 AM 06-23-2013
How exciting! It's always fun to add new things!
daycarediva 11:57 AM 06-23-2013
LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Great job, hubby!
Scout 04:24 PM 06-23-2013
Love them! Good to have a hubby who is useful in stuff like that!!
e.j. 05:31 PM 06-23-2013
Your husband is very talented. He did a great job!
Cradle2crayons 05:38 PM 06-23-2013
I agree very talented. Maybe he could make the furniture. You paint and decorate. Then sell it to local in home daycare providers for a profit
LaLa1923 08:14 PM 06-23-2013
I love them!! I want all of them!! Very nice!!
MarinaVanessa 10:02 AM 06-24-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I want! I want!
Tell hubby job well done!
You have a very nice set-up.
Thanks! I have a small amount of space so I have to get creative with the space that I do have. I like toys and furniture that can be used as several things or that can hold a lot of things and keep them organized.

Originally Posted by countrymom:
I love the writing desk.
Yes, it's my favorite also. I've been drooling over the writing center desks in the Lakeshore and Environments catalogs but they were so pricey . I asked DH if he thought he could manage it and he said he could and it came out WAY better than I though it would. A LOT better than the ones in the catalog that's for sure, and it's made for exactly what I need to store in it.

Originally Posted by Laurel:
Those are great!

I think you mentioned one time that this was a back patio. I have a back patio that needs to be repaired and re-screened. Some people here make it into a room but we don't want to because it would make the house dark. If I put things out there though, after not too long, they get dusty/dirty from whatever blows around. I can't tell if by your play kitchen that is a screen or a sliding glass door. How do you keep outdoor things clean?

Thanks, Laurel
Yes, it's my back patio area. I don't have a closed patio but we do certain things to help with the maintenance. I live in a townhouse condo so our "backyard" is actually just a concrete back area where a small area is covered by a patio roof. Other than that it's all open to the elements. My DH installed a large canopy over the majority of the rest of the patio area which helps a lot to protect us from the wind, dust and sun.

Unfortunately EVERYTHING still gets dusty, it's bound to happen. I just dust and wipe the furniture every weekend while the toys are being sanitized and cleaned. It's a lot of work but it needs to be done. One day I'll have more indoor space (one day when we move) and I won't have to worry about anymore .

Originally Posted by snbauser:
They look awesome!! Are they sealed so you can clean them easily? I want a writing center like that LOL!
Yes, they are sealed. I wanted to keep the natural look and will probably paint a portion of them later like the picture below but for now they are fine. I clean them like any other piece of furniture that I own. I spray them with bleach/water solution and wipe them with a cloth. DH used outdoor furniture grade wood ($50 per sheet, I bought two) and weatherproof sealant. All in all I spend about $150 for materials which is a steal if you compare that to $399.00 for the green and natural desk.

Originally Posted by Lyss:
Awesome! I love that writing desk!

Now I have more projects to add to DH's list!
I know what you mean. I've had DH doing "honey dew" projects for me ("honey do" this for me ...) for a couple of months now and although he acts like I give him a hard time I think he secretly likes doing them. He refinished an old rocking chair that I've had since I was a few years old (which our kids use now), made me a super large chalkboard for our outside area and now the tables and desk. He also plans on making me some hanging painting easels to keep outside. I ask for something simple and he always goes above and beyond .

Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I agree very talented. Maybe he could make the furniture. You paint and decorate. Then sell it to local in home daycare providers for a profit
If he wasn't so busy he would ... he could make money and it would still be a steal for providers when compared to how much you pay at school furniture stores PLUS it would be custom. PS I still have the blueprints if anyone is interested. DH put his old drafting skills into use.
williams2008 10:14 AM 06-24-2013
I love it, he did a great job!
melilley 11:23 AM 06-24-2013
I love them!
Reply Up